💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Billboard: Grammy vs. Superbowl which one have more impact on sales?

RBNLM

Featured Posts

http://www.billboard.com/articles/events/super-bowl-2015/6458155/super-bowl-vs-grammys-a--lyzing-their-sales-impact-on-artists-katy-perry-bruno-mars?facebook_20150131

some artists have benefitted from the Super Bowl halftime event, like last year's performer Bruno Mars. But Beyonce's performance in the 2012 Super Bowl didn't yield as much in sales.

Nowadays, another big factor must also be taken into consideration: how many fans will go to YouTube or Spotify and stream Perry's songs, all of which will generate revenue somewhere down the line -- instead of buying CDs or downloads.

Because Christmas is right before the Super Bowl and the Grammys is right after, it's sometimes hard to determine how much of a sales bump the Super Bowl itself is responsible for. Also, sometimes there are other drivers going on the same time as the Super Bowl, whether that be a tour,  a hit song on the radio, or some other television appearance that could be driving sales as well. 

Going into Christmas 2012, Beyonce's 4 album appears to have had the biggest sales gain. Looking at the sales patterns before and after the Super Bowl, Billboard estimates that album picked up an incremental 20,000 units, with sales ranging from 4,000 units to above 7,000 units for about five weeks, after averaging about 1,500 copies in the weeks leading up to the Super Bowl.

Going further back to the Rolling Stones' Super Bowl performance in 2006 when digital downloads were still near their infancy, "Start Me Up" saw scans jump from an average of about 2,000 units to nearly 5,000 units the week after the show, but no sales pick-up on the other two songs. The band's albums hardly saw any sales pick-up at all, combined maybe a few thousand incremental scans. 

the Super Bowl never had the sales impact that the Grammys can have on an artist's career. 

Adele's 21 album had scanned 6.6 million units going into Grammys, and in the two weeks leading up to the show her sales jumped from 122,000 units to 237,000 but exploded to 730,000 in the week after the Feb. 12, 2012, ceremony. Likewise, Norah Jones' Come Away With Me hit 621,000 units in the week after the 2003 Grammys.

But that's when sales were, well, sales. Nowadays, the game is changing, but will streams be able to generate  as much revenue in the short-term as the Grammys or the Super Bowl once did?

Weasel

Why is everything a competition these days in terms of sales? Anyways I suppose the Superbowl gives you more exposure, who watches the Grammies besides fans who want to see their fave perform? :koons: At least with the Superbowl you still get an entertaining game to watch. 

Why is everything a competition these days in terms of sales? Anyways I suppose the Superbowl gives you more exposure, who watches the Grammies besides fans who want to see their fave perform? :koons: At least with the Superbowl you still get an entertaining game to watch. 

30 000 000 people interested in music

Pure Adrenaline

Adewle literally destroying everyone with the close to million sales year after the release of her album :deadbanana:

It's much more fun to have hizophrenia... u never get lonely

Superbowl obviously gives more exposure since way more people wanted it and it's a slot concentrated on one performer, with more time than an average Grammy performance.

Regarding Adele, 21 was an anomaly in terms of everything so I don't think that can be used as a valid point. Had she played the SB, could you imagine how much she would sell that week? :rip:

I guess it all depends on the circumstances & the performer. But the SB definitely gives more exposure in the media.

Blank Space

Grammys because SB is only one artist, Katy Perry this time, while Grammys will show a lot more artists.

Arturo

Grammys. The 30m+ people that are watching it are there for the music.

The 100m+ people watching the SB are there for the game.

KingOfSpain

Grammys 

:awkney:

The Grammys. The sales are always bigger. Look at Adele!

This. People sell albums like cakes after the Grammys. 

Performing at the Superbowl just give you singles sales for 2 weeks.

http://gagadaily.com/forums/topic/227246-ceremony-gagas-videography-megarate/

Gagadisiak

grammys duh , sales for katy is not going to be impressive b00mark me . 

Où est-tu ma Salope ?

Vernier

Grammys overall. For an artiste like Bruno, I could see why SB was a boost, but for pop girls and most likely everyone else, the Grammys are a bigger boost.

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn

Archived