Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

"Empire" has cured Timbaland's homophobia

Michael

Featured Posts

empire_keyart_tunein.jpg

A sterling example of how music can connect people of different mindsets actually manifested behind the scenes during Empire's pre-production. Super-producer Tim “Timbaland†Mosley, a friend of Daniels's who crafts the series' catchy original tracks, wasn't initially aware of the nature of Jamal's storyline, and Daniels recalls some initial discomfort from the beat-master who's worked with everyone from Madonna to Missy Elliot.

“I pitched the pilot to him, and he came back with this incredible, breathtaking music in 48 hours,†Daniels says. “And soon it was time for me to show him the pilot. My instinct told me to leave when Jamal and [his boyfriend] Michael kiss, so I got up to go to the bathroom. When I came back, I knew [Timbaland] was fascinated by seeing his music in the work, but he said, 'Those guys kissing, man. Wow.' [The comment] could be construed negatively or positively, so I didn't push it. I just didn't wanna go there. Again, my instinctâ€â€or maybe my inner child or somethingâ€â€told me not to.â€

boyfriend3.jpg?quality=0.7

When Timbaland's wife and children were also brought in to to view the premiere episode, Daniels says that the music maestro asked that his kids step out of the room during the kissing scene, and Daniels, claiming to be “in work mode,†opted not to “get into a political conversation or give an opinion.†Since then, though, Daniels says that Timbaland, whom he refers to as a “buddy,†has changed his tune.

“What’s so great about this story is that it comes full circle,†Daniels says. “[Working on this show has] changed [Timbaland's] opinion on how he feels about gays. He said it. And I remember hanging up the phone and being very emotional after talking to him, and after him telling me that. And how he really had this epiphany. It was beautiful, and it deepened our friendship.†(To bring things even more full circle, Timbaland's wife, Monique Idlett, is involved in Empire's costume design, while Daniels's partner, stylist Jahil Fisher, is set to work with her as a consultant. The two couples have had dinner together, Daniels says.)

empire102c.jpg?quality=0.7

Ideally, what happened between Daniels and Timbaland is now happening between Empire and its audience. It may very well be a micro version of what's occurring on a macro scaleâ€â€a scale, by the way, that nobody anticipated. Reportedly, Empire's third episode netted a whopping 10.9 million viewers, a tally that far exceeded the expectations of Daniels and Fox, and one that already prompted the network to green-light a second season. It's a jump that's all but unheard of when it comes to new shows, whose ratings usually dip in the wake of their premieres, and with Jamal's arc only growing in depth and visibility (thanks in part to his ruthless, yet supportive, mother, played by Taraji P. Henson), we optimists can hope that many more minds will be openedâ€â€and that no one will be leaving the room.

http://www.out.com/entertainment/television/2015/01/23/lee-daniels-how-empires-gay-content-changing-minds

Haroon

Wow I'd never have thought that he was uncomfortable with homos-xuality before, but I'm glad that he's had a realisation for the better :nick:

The more people are exposed to the humanity of homos-xual couples, the less they can be confined to a s-x act.

Homophobes see homos-xuality as a s-xual deviancy, they see it as if gay men are just running around having a--l s-x with every man they can find. To them, gay people are not everyday people with normal, healthy relationships, they are a s-x act.

jojo Freud

Homophobes see homos-xuality as a s-xual deviancy, they see it as if gay men are just running around having a--l s-x with every man they can find. To them, gay people are not everyday people with normal, healthy relationships, they are a s-x act.

This is probably the most accurate thing I have ever read about homophobes 

I also want to add that, although it is understandable to shake your head and feel cynical when you learn an artist like Timberland was homophobic, I think it's best to treat it like he is now more educated on the subject and is more open minded.

That's something to be respected and encouraged, otherwise we run the risk of discouraging any personal growth by people who may have grown up with homophobic family and friends. We don't want people to feel like they can't reform and change their opinions once they have encountered more gay people and seen a different side to what they had expected.

Congratulations to Timberland for opening his mind, and hopefully encouraging some of his fans to also become more open to accepting and supporting the LGBT community.

RAMROD

Kevin-Hart-Really-GIF.gif

This comedian once said he will never play a homos-xual too tbh :fan:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

The more people are exposed to the humanity of homos-xual couples, the less they can be confined to a s-x act.

Absolutely true. And sad. And ridiculous, cuz people are stupid and can't realise anything. 

RAMROD

I think Timbaland is representing how most people in Rap/Hip Hop reacts towards homos-xuality tbh.

And we know for sure how Same Love by Macklemore touches this subject to public.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Homophobes see homos-xuality as a s-xual deviancy, they see it as if gay men are just running around having a--l s-x with every man they can find . To them, gay people are not everyday people with normal, healthy relationships, they are a s-x act.

I used to say that all the time but I know not all gays are like that.
Lady Gaga/ Madonna/Lana /Azealia Banks/ Jazmine Sullivan/ DEEE-LITE/ Moko

Archived