Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

TIME reminds the public of Gwen Stefani's alleged racism

Jed

Featured Posts

nobody forced the japanese girls to follow gwen around. i'm sure they were getting paid damn well.

at the end of the day, gwen loves japanese culture and is not a racist. so what's the issue?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes, my point was that if they considered it racist i'm sure they knew that.

I liken it to when I see some gay people play into the "sassy best friend" stereotype. They know they are playing a caricature, but they are getting attention so they don't care as much. I used to do it, but now I don't.

Jumping on anyone who is inspired by Asian culture for "appropriation" seems likely to discourage all such portrayals.

I think what Margaret wants, and what I would like to see as well, is more Asian women in pop culture. Not as backup dancers, but as stars of the show.

Look at Saturday Night Live. They just added Leslie Jones to the main cast, which is great. However, there are still no asian men or women or hispanic men or women involved in the cast. Asian people in particular are basically absent from mainstream media.

I liked Maragrets quote "An ugly picture is better than a blank space, and it means that one day, we will have another display at the Museum of Asian Invisibility, that groups of children will crowd around in disbelief, because once upon a time, we weren’t there."

So even though "Love" "Angel" "Music" and "Baby" were perpetuating stereotypes, they figured that was better than never being famous at all.

I think it is VERY VERY VERY problematic that a lot of you people would rather just dismiss it and say things like "oh everything is racist these days" instead of taking the issue seriously and discussing why Margaret Cho and many other Asian people are so offended.

They are no more stereotypical than any female J-pop or K-pop group I've seen.

Ah, but they are the headliners. They are the stars. Not some props for a white American.

No, but I don't think she was being racist or being offensive to disabled people.

Well, that is your belief. But many black people and many little people are upset with this. Are we to say that they shouldn't be just because us white people don't see why they should be so mad?

This is such a load of artworks-000060297041-tyaank-t50x50.jpg

As someone said in a previous post, those girls are still friends with her to this day and absolutely loved the experience (and the money I'm sure). How is it racist when they were completely willing to comply and signed the contract themselves?

I can't handle any more of these social justice warriors.

I liken it to when I see some gay people play into the "sassy best friend" stereotype. They know they are playing a caricature, but they are getting attention so they don't care as much. I used to do it, but now I don't.

I think what Margaret wants, and what I would like to see as well, is more Asian women in pop culture. Not as backup dancers, but as stars of the show.

Look at Saturday Night Live. They just added Leslie Jones to the main cast, which is great. However, there are still no asian men or women or hispanic men or women involved in the cast. Asian people in particular are basically absent from mainstream media.

I liked Maragrets quote "An ugly picture is better than a blank space, and it means that one day, we will have another display at the Museum of Asian Invisibility, that groups of children will crowd around in disbelief, because once upon a time, we weren’t there."

So even though "Love" "Angel" "Music" and "Baby" were perpetuating stereotypes, they figured that was better than never being famous at all.

I think it is VERY VERY VERY problematic that a lot of you people would rather just dismiss it and say things like "oh everything is racist these days" instead of taking the issue seriously and discussing why Margaret Cho and many other Asian people are so offended.

Ah, but they are the headliners. They are the stars. Not some props for a white American.

Well, that is your belief. But many black people and many little people are upset with this. Are we to say that they shouldn't be just because us white people don't see why they should be so mad?

k, but gwen stefani is white. she can't morph into a japanese person. therefore, the only way for her to show her appreciation and use japanese culture in her art, is to hire japanese dancers and sing songs about how much she loves the fashion there

or do you think she just shouldn't talk about the culture whatsoever?

idgi, throughout her LAMB era she was giving the japanese people/culture tons of praise. racism is kinda the opposite, don't you think?

she's donated 1 mill to help japan's save the children campaign. she sure does hate those asians!!!

There's not much to Harajuku beyond what was portrayed which is why I don't see it as appropriation.

If it was something like a straight rip of Asian culture that ignored the history or mixed cultures like Katy did then it would be problematic

Back-up dancers aren't props. And if she is portraying Asian women no different than J-pop, what's the big deal.

Most Asians are doing great in America (economically, educationally), and it's mostly white Social Justice Warriors making an issue. It's actually RACIST to make a big issue of Japanese influences when you wouldn't if they were Canadian or Italian borrowings.

Replace Gwen with Avril (Hello Kitty) and this article is correct.

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

BS. Just like Avril. I bet the only people who call it racist are from the west while Japanese people don't give a fvck and be thankful that they love and pay tribute to their culture instead. smfh  :reductive:

너와의 어색한 침묵이 차라리 좋아

Archived