Arturo

oh that's cool. i really enjoyed the show

Sis, I was being sarcastic :giveup:

I'm not going to the tour lol

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
StrawberryBlond

This is pretty much how I view Katy's tours as well: visually impressive, great pop shows, but very superficial, with little purpose beyond pulling in money with the most generic ideas possible. I really wonder how much longer she'll be able to keep this up. It's pretty sad that she's still acting like a kid when she's almost 30 and it won't be a good look on her as she ages. So many of her biggest hits will not sound right when she sings them years from now. And yes, her huge appeal to kids is really unsettling considering how long she's been in the business and how old she is. Does she want kids to be her biggest demographic by writing childish songs? Or is it her label pushing for her to be this way? Someone here once said that Katy looks and acts like a children's entertainer, and that is exactly how I see her too. Her costumes are the kind of wacky things that little girls wear for fancy dress. Her songs sound like the kind of stuff little girls dance around their bedrooms to. Even the way she acts when being interviewed is quite young, quirky and excitable. She even capitalised on her appeal to kids with her Birthday video when she surprised all those children. I think it's quite telling when a large part of your fanbase is below the age of 16 when you yourself are a full grown adult. The reasons given as to why parents are fine with their kids listening to innuendo-filled songs by Katy is just that - because they don't state anything explictly and so much of it can fly right over an innocent child's head (though how many of them there is left is anyone's guess). It all starts to feel like one big marketing ploy when you look at it like that. So, you can see why some parents think it's disturbing to make such adult songs that are dressed up in a way to appeal to kids.

As Katy has appealed to children this long, I don't know if any mature efforts will prove fruitful as the public simply are not interested in this side of her and will still associate her with childish music no matter how authentically acoustic she tries to go. I'm sure she will go full-on acoustic one day, but not while she's still a force to reckoned with in pop music. I just hope she doesn't pull a Mariah Carey/Madonna and still be making age-inappropriate music well into her forties.

Dangerous Man

I think they only have problem with Katy acting like a kid.

"A little less conversation and a little more touch my body."

Altair

This is pretty much how I view Katy's tours as well: visually impressive, great pop shows, but very superficial, with little purpose beyond pulling in money with the most generic ideas possible. I really wonder how much longer she'll be able to keep this up.

Reminds me of another tour we all love...

Say what you want but when Katy can come up with something like The Monster Ball then talk

Put the crack pipe down. Back away from the crack pipe. Crack is whack dawg.

Redstreak

I literally can't.

Take a moment to think of just flexibility, love, and trust~

heavyMetalGAGA

Yea, because singing a ballad about loving yourself and standing up against injustice is superficial. I had one of the most magical moments of my life at the artRAVE when Gaga sang BTW. It was just me in my boyfriend's arms and we were crying of happiness and sadness. We've been through so much together, and so many people (especially adults and parents) have wanted to see us fail. But Gaga's music has really helped. Call me when Katy can do that on her superficial tour. 

JoeMo

I went to the prismatic world tour and loved it. I thought the production was fantastic

www.youtube.com/jmremixes

But we are talking about something more than the visuals, the aesthetics, the envelope. People tend to forget that a show is something more than props and huge screens. When you see the concert of artists of the 70's, 80's and 90's decade, you rarely have 10 screens, hundred of dancers and flying balloons all over the place, you just have the artist and the music, making this particular moment a unique experience.  

From a visual point of you, I would say that Katy Perry Prismatic Tour is really incredible. You see, she has this huge triangle screens, all of these cool flying props, balloons, confetti and expensive (but cheap looking) costumes. But the show itself, the experience, the music is just bad to me. Like the reviewer said, the audience is fragile (mostly tweens and parents), the energy is lacking, the confidence and the talent is not showing. The concert itself is disappointing. It feel like a Transformers movie to me. They have these huge budget and mind blowing special effects, yet you still find yourself bore to death and you just want it to end already. This review clearly highlight the struggle Katy is facing from an artistic point of view. The more she's growing, artistically, the more her audience seems to be younger. She's not going anywhere with her material. It's selling like hot cakes yes, but after that ? What's left ? When you think about it, culturally, Katy Perry has yet made her mark in pop music. 

On the other side, you have the artRave that, compared to the Born This Way Ball, dropped many props and theatrical performances for a more concert friendly, sing and dance along type of performances. So the artRave have less props but it feels 10x more like a concert to me than the other Gaga shows. Yes she has many dancers, bizarre costumes, screens and confetti but none of these props are slightly taking over the most important pillar of the concert : Gaga herself. Gaga, unlike Katy, is commanding the crowd with her voice, her energy and her passion. And it shows in the audience who's worshipping her like she's the President and leaves the concert completely exhausted. When you leave the artRave, you feel like you've experience a once-in a lifetime moment.

You cannot just compare a tour with the content, it's actually worth nothing when it comes to a live experience. I feel like you watch a Katy Perry show and you live a Gaga concert.

This article nailed it. It summarize everything I truly hate about Katy Perry. 

I never read long posts (yeah, I know  :deadbanana: ), but I was hooked into reading yours. I loved everything you said.

:applause:  :applause:  :applause:

GagaMyBlood95

Idk, I really didn't go to see Katy or bothered to watch all the videos from her tour, just some...

Tropico

Did they lie though? It wasn't even rude. It was pretty honest. :golfclap:

But sorry Bangerz tour is just messy. :wtf:

♱ Social Justice Enthusiast ♱

Tropico

BITCH PLEASE. :sharon:

Gaga's tour is not superficial... It's meaningful for example her stories about her broken hip, her life, hollywood, self acceptance etc.

You must be ill if you think Gaga's tour is anything like Katy's. :wtf:

♱ Social Justice Enthusiast ♱

Archived