Hexxx

Godzilla looks quite cute on the poster. Not even kidding.  :laughga:

he has short arms so yeah :laughga:

Lady Gaga/ Madonna/Lana /Azealia Banks/ Jazmine Sullivan/ DEEE-LITE/ Moko

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shu Rin

Okay everyone! Time to say what we liked and what we didn't like about the film. I'll go first.

What I liked:

The call backs to the first film: It’s cool to see Godzilla going down the same path of destruction in Tokyo as the first. There is one particular scene where he is walking down a street and his foot goes through the ground and he crashes into a building next to him. That street used to be a bridge that was crossed by Godzilla in the original film. The bridge was demolished and river filled up to build more buildings. Another cool callback was Godzilla's attraction to flares, just like he did in "Godzilla Raids Again".

The Shockirus louse: The huge sea louse that attacked the crew in the beginning of the film were interesting and believable. A lot of animals in the ocean are known to have symbiotic relationships with other smaller animals. Sharks and Remoras are perfect example.

The miniature sets: I think this was the best miniature of Tokyo I've ever seen in a Godzilla film. The city looked so real with looks of the buildings and highways. One scene I love is when Godzilla is walking down the street and you see Cars driving in front of him on the street. It could have been cheesy, but with the whole look of the city, you forget for a moment it’s a set.
The story: I liked the political side of the story because it seemed so realistic. If a giant monster were to appear and attack Japan, other countries would offer to help because a giant monster is everyone’s problem. I liked the cold war stuff going on as well, really fit with Godzilla and his message.

What I didn't like:

The Godzilla suit: 2 things bothered me about the suit. 1. His teeth looked a little too long. It looked weird, like some huge reptilian vampire hybrid beast. But what bothered me so much were his eyes. He looked wall eyed! Every time they showed a close up of his face I wanted to fix them.

That we didn't see more of the Shockirus louse: They could have used them more in the human story for some action to go on during the Godzilla’s attack. After the boat scene you never see or hear of them again and it seems kind of a waste of a cool creature.

The Earth remembers, the stones remember. If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.

Lina Morgana

What I Liked:

1. Godzilla destroying everything, and not being a hero after all those awful ones like Son Of Godzilla.

2. The military going after him, despite the fact that they'll end up destroying Tokyo too.

3. The animatronics used for Godzilla were good for the most part which brings me to....
What I Didn't Like:

1. Godzilla was crosseyed in most of the close ups, I actually laughed.

2. What the hell was up with the sea lice, just what the hell.

Overall:

It's not one of the better ones but it's not one of the worst ones, it's just a fun little movie.

" I can't sing, I can't dance, I can't write... no real talent. But I'm pretty, and I can make money off pretty."

Staryu

I just woke up, but I guess I'll do it now anyways.

NOTE: this was only my second movie featuring kaiju(s) and it'd be unfair to compare a 1985 movie to a 2013 movie, so my review might not be really good since I'm not the biggest kaiju movie watcher. :laughga:

Overall, I did not really like it a whole lot... like in all honesty, the movie lost me around the 50 minutes mark. Dunno how I managed to finish it.

When I started watching it, I actually liked it (boat scenes). It was intriguing and I did not expect to see a big disgusting sea louse (the way it moved was kind of hilarious, but welcome to the 80's lmao). :party:

Then, there's the story (once they get back). It was tolerable at first, but it became more and more boring by the minute. A lot of it was so predictable and can we just talk about the actors for a minute? :later: Like the one who played Naoko... good lord. I mean, the character she had to play was generic as hell, but she sure did not try to make it interesting. :emma: I could rant about her for a while, but let's move on.

When we finally got some good interaction with Godzilla, I was so disappointed. I can deal with his sometimes awkward movements, but his face! Ugh. His eyes were SO derpy and his lips were doing some weird movements at times... it kind of ruined it for me.

The discussions with the Soviet Union & United States of 'Murica... please no, make it stop. :awkney:

Anyway... I wished the movie would have used the sea louse more and, honestly, the movie would have been much better if it were cut down to max 60 minutes. There are SO many useless boring scenes.

And this Godzilla sucked, which is really really bad considered the movie is named Godzilla...

Hexxx

I Liked the destruction

I didn't like Godzilla's costume and his eyes. i also thought that he looked weird.

And why didn't wee see more of that creature on the boat?

Shu Rin

can we just talk about the actors for a minute? :later: Like the one who played Naoko... good lord.

I know! she seemed like a robot and showed so little emotion. Like when she finds out her brother is still alive, there is barely a reaction. I'd love to hear what you have to say about the other actors.

The Earth remembers, the stones remember. If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.

Staryu

I found Goro to be the best one from them by far. I feel like he really tried in his role and I enjoyed it.

I mean most of them were not that terrible, but decent isn't what you should aim for in a movie. 

Hellspont

I downloaded all 29 or so movies and watched Gojira (1954) and Mothra vs. Godzilla, out of the first 4 I could only finish those two probably because they had a serious tone.

Hexxx

Godzilla Vs. Mothra was good. Battra has a pretty cool design

Hellspont

Godzilla is getting pretty solid early reviews, 86% on Rottentomatoes

Shu Rin

Godzilla is getting pretty solid early reviews, 86% on Rottentomatoes

Welcome to the Kaiju Fan Club. Its great that the critics love it, hopefully non fans will as well.

Staryu

I'll go watch it for sure, but I don't know yet if I'll go this week-end or later.

Shu Rin

I'll go watch it for sure, but I don't know yet if I'll go this week-end or later.

It's ok if you don't see it this weekend, no pressure. I guess when we talk about it we can use spoilers so you don't read what we say.

love the your set btw, Conchita is amazing. 

Staryu

It's ok if you don't see it this weekend, no pressure. I guess when we talk about it we can use spoilers so you don't read what we say.

love the your set btw, Conchita is amazing. 

Good. :)

She sure is, thanks. :hug:

Archived