💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Is anyone concerned that Gypsy is a racial slur?

tokyodisko

Featured Posts

tokyodisko

She'd totally get ****, just because she could.

I mean, Katy didn't with her horribly racist video and performance... but its Katy.

I honestly wouldn't care.

It'd blow over.

I agree, even though I feel like Gaga is sort of doing that with GUY, just more in sync with the actual stories. hahaI don't mind it at all in either video. It's art and should be shared. 

The social justice warriors on ONTD who have taken a sociology course at the local community college are sure concerned. :smh:

:dies:  I can't stand those people. 

at what point did she mention a nationality or a race?

Gypsy. the word gypsy. lol

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DrewStevens

It's not a racial slur, it's actually an ethnic group. 

The only thing that "could" be offensive is that she is calling herself a gypsy without being one.

tokyodisko

hmm, seems too isolated tbh, like the chola situation

and there are a lot of gypsy titled songs, so i dont think we should worry

I'm hoping not, because she really doesn't need the bad press. lol GUY is at least looking like it will be huge. :D

Chola and Orient were both pretty racist though... like, I was surprised she used those terms. Chola less so, but still. 

Scarlet Witch

I agree, but two of those are much older and people were not as involved in "activism". 

It's not a metaphor.

The name is from a group of thieves basically, from Romania or somewhere iirc. Like the word 'gypped'. 

It's a metaphor. She's describing herself like these gypsies, without a permanent home, always moving here and there.

tokyodisko

It's not a racial slur, it's actually an ethnic group. 

The only thing that "could" be offensive is that she is calling herself a gypsy without being one.

The ethnic group is Romani to my knowledge and some do NOT like being called gypsies.

It's a metaphor. She's describing herself like these gypsies, without a permanent home, always moving here and there.

It's an adjective. lol or noun, technically. 

Scarlet Witch

The ethnic group is Romani to my knowledge and some do NOT like being called gypsies.

How is it an adjective? It's a metaphor, or a--logy, like Judas, describing her being in love with a betrayer and a bad guy.

ThreadKiller

I'm hoping not, because she really doesn't need the bad press. lol GUY is at least looking like it will be huge. :D

Chola and Orient were both pretty racist though... like, I was surprised she used those terms. Chola less so, but still. 

She just wanted it to rhyme, right? haha.

I think she's way too intelligent to say things like those with bad intention. She was trying to represent everyone, not say "if you're hispanic you shoot streets up, steal and use d--gs and sharpie your brows in".

Prometheus

It's also a metaphor. :awkney: She isn't a true gypsy, but she lives like one (moving from place to place).

metaphor: a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.

I agree, even though I feel like Gaga is sort of doing that with GUY, just more in sync with the actual stories. hahaI don't mind it at all in either video. It's art and should be shared. 

:dies:  I can't stand those people. 

Gypsy. the word gypsy. lol

it's a race? :flop: i thought it was a word to describe any nomadic person

tokyodisko

How is it an adjective? It's a metaphor, or a--logy, like Judas, describing her being in love with a betrayer and a bad guy.

"I'M a gypsy." as in a person or an attribute. 

A metaphor would be saying "I'm like a gypsy" Comparing herself to one, not proclaiming it. :)

Judas was a metaphor for sure, but gypsy is much more literal. 

tokyodisko

it's a race? :flop: i thought it was a word to describe any nomadic person

Yeah, haha it comes from a slur about an ethnic group, Romani(?), but in a lot f cultures the term is just used as a nomadic description, that's why I don't mind it. It's an entirely different definition, but does stem from the group of people. 

It's also a metaphor. :awkney: She isn't a true gypsy, but she lives like one (moving from place to place).

metaphor: a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.

I'm an english major.  :coffee:

She's calling herself a gypsy. "I'm a gypsy" is not comparing anything. The symbolism from the word could be a metaphor, but the lyrics are very literal. 

"...grave and earth you" is a metaphor. for s-x. :hehe:

Scarlet Witch

"I'M a gypsy." as in a person or an attribute. 

A metaphor would be saying "I'm like a gypsy" Comparing herself to one, not proclaiming it. :)

Judas was a metaphor for sure, but gypsy is much more literal. 

Then by the same logic she is in love with the literal Judas because she sang 'I'm still in love with Judas' instead of 'I'm still in love with someone like Judas'?

If your definition of 'Gypsy' means 'persons of nomadic habit of life' then yes, and that's what I'm trying to say, then the song is not racist at all.

But if your 'Gypsy' means 'Romani people (or a certain race idk much)', which your thread is about, then you're wrong.

Just my 2 cents.

DrewStevens

Gypsy is just an exonym. Some Romani people don't like to be called gypsies by foreigners but only because some people use the word in a derogatory way. And obviously she is not using the word in that way.

• Bear locked this topic

Archived