Top Posters In This Topic

• ChasingTheGhost

• MattyMonster

• KingAlanI

• Parka

KingAlanI

:cool: :worship: :worship2: :legend::yes: :clap:

My review, with spoilers

Katniss' volunteering reminded me of Mulan.

The Games as a satire of reality TV seemed obvious.

The concerns about Jennifer Lawrence's size seemed like just more Hollywood image obsession.

I was completely new to the series except for a basic plot description, and don't watch movies much in general. Overall, I was very impressed. The only major detraction was shaky camera work during some of the action scenes, but that may have been necessary to mask some of the violence and indicate tracker jacker hallucinations. I was struck by how Katniss, Peter and some other tributes kept their humanity. I liked the alternating views, although I felt there could have been more from outside the arena at times. I felt there was enough backstory to follow the movie, but now I want more of the series.

I went 11:50 AM the Sunday of opening weekend. It was neither empty nor packed: a few dozen people, none of whom were dressed up. I got in for $6.

The government’s evil was subtle, the president and gamemaster in particular. (The interviewer seemed relatively innocent). Maybe it would seem normal to the inhabitants of that world after several decades.

I figured there might be dramatic tension when the two from the same district face each other, and there was. It also creates two sets of characters to identify with.

District 12 clearly resembled Depression-era Appalachia. The garish colors and advanced technology of the Capitol seemed like intentional exaggerated contrast. I wonder where coal fits in with such technology.

When Katniss said she never wanted kids, it reminded me of "you're thrown the worst fear that can ever be hurled, fear to bring children into the world" from Bob Dylan's "Masters Of War".

It seems clear Haymitch’s experiences drove him to drink.

I wonder if the other tribute parade outfits were *caricatured* representations of each district. Also, that scene seemed like the main Roman/gladiator connection.

I wondered why more districts didn’t train volunteers (though Katniss had experience from all that bowhunting).

I'm not sure what was real, what was done for the cameras and what became real because the characters acted that way. I'd say this is another one of Collins' artistic points, and the Katniss/Peter relationship is only one example.

Jennifer Lawrence usually looked Katniss' age, but it occasionally showed that she's a few years older than her character, particularly in the scenes with Rue.

I figured something was up with the pile of stuff, but I first thought the dirt piles were makeshift burials for the tributes who died early. Rue's small size must have helped navigate the minefield before Katniss took her shots to set it off. It was a striking moment when the failed guard quickly got his neck snapped.

What happened to District 13? Redistricting?

What became of the rioting in District 11?

I hope more is explained later, instead of missed opportunities.

:cool: :worship: :worship2: :legend::yes: :clap:

My review, with spoilers

Katniss' volunteering reminded me of Mulan.

The Games as a satire of reality TV seemed obvious.

The concerns about Jennifer Lawrence's size seemed like just more Hollywood image obsession.

I was completely new to the series except for a basic plot description, and don't watch movies much in general. Overall, I was very impressed. The only major detraction was shaky camera work during some of the action scenes, but that may have been necessary to mask some of the violence and indicate tracker jacker hallucinations. I was struck by how Katniss, Peter and some other tributes kept their humanity. I liked the alternating views, although I felt there could have been more from outside the arena at times. I felt there was enough backstory to follow the movie, but now I want more of the series.

I went 11:50 AM the Sunday of opening weekend. It was neither empty nor packed: a few dozen people, none of whom were dressed up. I got in for $6.

The government’s evil was subtle, the president and gamemaster in particular. (The interviewer seemed relatively innocent). Maybe it would seem normal to the inhabitants of that world after several decades.

I figured there might be dramatic tension when the two from the same district face each other, and there was. It also creates two sets of characters to identify with.

District 12 clearly resembled Depression-era Appalachia. The garish colors and advanced technology of the Capitol seemed like intentional exaggerated contrast. I wonder where coal fits in with such technology.

When Katniss said she never wanted kids, it reminded me of "you're thrown the worst fear that can ever be hurled, fear to bring children into the world" from Bob Dylan's "Masters Of War".

It seems clear Haymitch’s experiences drove him to drink.

I wonder if the other tribute parade outfits were *caricatured* representations of each district. Also, that scene seemed like the main Roman/gladiator connection.

I wondered why more districts didn’t train volunteers (though Katniss had experience from all that bowhunting).

I'm not sure what was real, what was done for the cameras and what became real because the characters acted that way. I'd say this is another one of Collins' artistic points, and the Katniss/Peter relationship is only one example.

Jennifer Lawrence usually looked Katniss' age, but it occasionally showed that she's a few years older than her character, particularly in the scenes with Rue.

I figured something was up with the pile of stuff, but I first thought the dirt piles were makeshift burials for the tributes who died early. Rue's small size must have helped navigate the minefield before Katniss took her shots to set it off. It was a striking moment when the failed guard quickly got his neck snapped.

What happened to District 13? Redistricting?

What became of the rioting in District 11?

I hope more is explained later, instead of missed opportunities.

You should read the books. Everything will make sense. ;D

tumblr_m1cnd3BL6d1r3la3n.gif

Haha Flawless.

*tumblr_m0uikqVRYA1r39469o1_250.giftumblr_m0uikqVRYA1r39469o2_250.gif

tumblr_m0vvgjPvnU1r85ptg.gif

I think I prefer him as a blonde.

:lmao:

Laughed so hard.

KingAlanI

You should read the books. Everything will make sense. ;D

so it gets even better? :excited2::excited: :cant-wait: :hungry:

so it gets even better? :excited2::excited: :cant-wait: :hungry:

Of course! :party:

Edited by Save Me Once

AshIey

Love the books, but i was let down by the film. Well cast, well acted and it all looked how i invisioned, however....the games themselves were SO boring and the relationship between Peeta and Kat was really dull too.

I agree. I didn't like how the games went by so quickly..

KingAlanI

it seems that a lot of you guys are volunteering instead of Katniss. :P

Of course! :party:

awesome. will get ahold of the books ASAP.

I'd like to get the 1st in book form. I believe I could follow the 2nd book from the 1st movie, but should I skip ahead to the 3rd book if I can't find copies of the 1st or 2nd?

I'd like to get the 1st in book form. I believe I could follow the 2nd book from the 1st movie, but should I skip ahead to the 3rd book if I can't find copies of the 1st or 2nd?

Noooo! Read it in order from the beginning! :sweat:

Y'all are from Boston? :sara:

Me t- I mean i'm from South Park :teehee:

I'm from Boston! :legend:

Well, technically south of Boston, but Boston is just a 20 minute train ride away, so I go there all the time.

it seems that a lot of you guys are volunteering instead of Katniss. :P

Definitely not.

If you read from the 3rd book you're going to wonder who these characters are etc.

Quite a few major characters get introduced in book two and events you would miss that would make book 3 completely confusing.