💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Billboard: "Applause" vs. "Roar": Which new single is your favorite?

Jesse Pinkman

Featured Posts

Redstreak

I'm not gonna lie, this entire piece completely fits with my current view. Applause is a great song that I love and have played over and over again since getting it and I admit Roar is pretty enjoyable as well, but I believe both easily could have done better, and I admit I felt a bit underwhelmed at first listen as well with both. I still believe that ARTPOP is going to be a game changing, humongous career impacting album for Gaga though. I trust in her. 

Take a moment to think of just flexibility, love, and trust~

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lairofhk

Good article. Pretty much nailed it. Im sure Gaga is saving the more daring stuff for the album. 

EGOT2027

I hope Gaga's second single is like her crazy comeback single that blows everyone's mind. Like how poker face was a bigger hit than just dance?

But anyways, I completely agree with this article. I was looking forward to darker Katy and something "mind-blowing" from Gaga and we got neither in my opinion. Maybe the VMAs will change my mind, but in no way should these songs flop. I hope Gaga's promo gets the world to be clapping along. The US needs the promo so much...I've barely heard the song on the radio since the premieres on Monday.

PaperIz

I actually completely agree with this article. To the dot.

These songs are bangers but they don't compare to California Girls & Bad Romance. But time will tell who has that longevity.

But I think they're not trying to make them Bad Romance and California Girls. They're all worlds away from each other. 

Not gonna lie i got pretty annoyed reading all of that :roll:

Me too  :sweat:

---

Applause is all I wanted and more, same with "Roar". So I don't really know where I stand :spin:

melodichard

I love Applause and Roar, but I do agree with this article. I think the video and VMA performance will take the song to the next level though (Lik Telephone)

But I think they're not trying to make them Bad Romance and California Girls. They're all worlds away from e

I agree but BB is saying these songs aren't or they thought they were going to be just as captivating as their other mega hits.

I'm not gonna lie, this entire piece completely fits with my current view. Applause is a great song that I love and have played over and over again since getting it and I admit Roar is pretty enjoyable as well, but I believe both easily could have done better, and I admit I felt a bit underwhelmed at first listen as well with both. I still believe that ARTPOP is going to be a game changing, humongous career impacting album for Gaga though. I trust in her.

IA

Or maybe we need to give both songs sometime to grow on us

ThisGuyTony

This sums up this whole situation for me: 

To be sure, "Applause" and "Roar" are both very good singles with wildly dissimilar intentions. The biggest knock against them, however, is that they don't live up to the hype...

Absolutely agree. My biggest issue with Roar is that it's not the "darker Katy" we expected. However, it is a good pop song and fit well with her stuff from Teenage Dream. But with all the hype of a new era she put out, it's a let down.

As with Applause, I'm not sure anyone truly knew what to expect, but I guess we were all hoping for another "Bad Romance" / "Poker Face" etc. Something iconic that we would expect to get radio play for years. Applause isn't that. Again, it's a great song, but it could have been done by anyone else that wasn't Gaga and gotten a mediocre reaction.

MelbHawker

I agree with everything they've said in the article. Applause is fun - it's nothing new or revelatory. They did forget to mention though that Gaga's saving the best music for later on in this era.

Prometheus

"It's just that Gaga makes it difficult to appreciate such a single at face value when there's so many other assets spinning alongside and within it."

I just think that the two ARTPOP tracks we've heard (Aura and Applause) have lyrics that don't exactly coincide with their respective songs. Like the verses have almost NOTHING TO DO with the CHORUSES. This frustrates me. I want a song with lyrics that can connect easily. I can handle some stretches every now and then, but come on, Gaga.

I love Applause to death, but I kind of feel like she had a few budding concepts that she just mashed into one song.

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived