💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Gaga is deliberately avoiding generic producers

Bradley

Featured Posts

Bradley

I feel like whoever that is associated with commercial and trendy artists will automatically be blacklisted by Gaga. She has voiced her opinion many times that she doesn't want to follow radio trends or whatever that is popular at the moment and will continue to do the opposite of what the market expects of her.

Which is why she has never, and will probably not work with producers like Max Martin, Shellback, Jack Antonoff, StarGate, Benny Blanco, Ryan Tedder, Greg Kurstin, Dr. Luke or Cirkut.

I'm not saying Gaga doesn't respect them, these are some of the most well-known producers in the industry who have a flair of writing very catchy hooks and melodies, but they also have something in common that is they work with too many commercial artists to the extent where they are making the artists seem less and less distinctive from each other.

Gaga also makes a conscious effort in enlisting a new executive producer for every album she makes, which is why it's so exciting to experience every new era with her, because we can expect that it will not sound like her previous work. She's constantly evolving and pushing the boundaries, trying out new sounds, new direction whereas the other artists stay within their comfort zone and enlist the hottest, most popular and generic producers they can find because they are the biggest hitmakers.

Here are the executive producers of some of the most popular albums in the music industry:

The Fame, The Fame Monster - RedOne
Born This Way - Fernando Garibay
ARTPOP - DJ White Shadow
Joanne - Mark Ronson

Whereas:

Teenage Dream - Dr. Luke, Max Martin, StarGate, Benny Blanco
Prism - Dr. Luke, Max Martin, Cirkut
Witness - Max Martin
Red - Max Martin, Shellback
1989 - Max Martin, Shellback
Reputation - Max Martin, Shellback
Dangerous Woman - Max Martin
(not sure about Sweetener but No Tears Left to Cry is produced by Max Martin)
Animal (Kesha) - Dr. Luke
Warrior (Kesha) - Dr. Luke, Benny Blanco, Cirkut
Rated R - StarGate
Loud - StarGate
Talk that Talk - Dr. Luke, Cirkut, StarGate
Unapologetic - StarGate, David Guetta
Can't Stop the Feeling! - Max Martin, Shellback
1000 Forms of Fear (Sia) - Greg Kurstin
This is Acting (Sia) - Greg Kurstin

Additional artists who have worked with either Max Martin, Shellback, Benny Blanco, Cirkut, StarGate include Selena Gomez, The Weeknd, Maroon 5, Ed Sheeran.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
monketsharona

I agree, though some of those made some great songs too...

I would be curious to see what could sound a Gaga / Max Martin track though. 

BornSimon

Reason #1932878423678729190192192023904782929 why she is the only popstar I care about.

15 minutes ago, Bradley said:

I feel like whoever that is associated with commercial and trendy artists will automatically be blacklisted by Gaga. She has voiced her opinion many times that she doesn't want to follow radio trends or whatever that is popular at the moment and will continue to do the opposite of what the market expects of her.

Which is why she has never, and will probably not work with producers like Max Martin, Shellback, Jack Antonoff, StarGate, Benny Blanco, Ryan Tedder, Greg Kurstin, Dr. Luke or Cirkut.

I'm not saying Gaga doesn't respect them, these are some of the most well-known producers in the industry who have a flair of writing very catchy hooks and melodies, but they also have something in common that is they work with too many commercial artists to the extent where they are making the artists seem less and less distinctive from each other.

Gaga also makes a conscious effort in enlisting a new executive producer for every album she makes, which is why it's so exciting to experience every new era with her, because we can expect that it will not sound like her previous work. She's constantly evolving and pushing the boundaries, trying out new sounds, new direction whereas the other artists stay within their comfort zone and enlist the hottest, most popular and generic producers they can find because they are the biggest hitmakers.

Here are the executive producers of some of the most popular albums in the music industry:

The Fame, The Fame Monster - RedOne
Born This Way - Fernando Garibay
ARTPOP - DJ White Shadow
Joanne - Mark Ronson

Whereas:

Teenage Dream - Dr. Luke, Max Martin, StarGate, Benny Blanco
Prism - Dr. Luke, Max Martin, Cirkut
Witness - Max Martin
Red - Max Martin, Shellback
1989 - Max Martin, Shellback
Reputation - Max Martin, Shellback
Dangerous Woman - Max Martin
(not sure about Sweetener but No Tears Left to Cry is produced by Max Martin)
Animal (Kesha) - Dr. Luke
Warrior (Kesha) - Dr. Luke, Benny Blanco, Cirkut
Rated R - StarGate
Loud - StarGate
Talk that Talk - Dr. Luke, Cirkut, StarGate
Unapologetic - StarGate, David Guetta
Can't Stop the Feeling! - Max Martin, Shellback
1000 Forms of Fear (Sia) - Greg Kurstin
This is Acting (Sia) - Greg Kurstin

Additional artists who have worked with either Max Martin, Shellback, Benny Blanco, Cirkut, StarGate include Selena Gomez, The Weeknd, Maroon 5, Ed Sheeran.

Greg Kurstin produced her version of Your Song, but I understand your point

ChrisGaga

She already worked with Greg Kurstin on "Your Song"

Spoiler

And with David Guetta on "Fashion!

giphy.gif

But yeah you're right at the moment!

Maybe it will happen in the future...

IAmNotHere1997

But working with "generic producers" wouldn't such a HORIBBLE and BAD things after all, no?

AlexanderMagno

I don't think that's necessarily a good thing. First, because Gaga famously has the ability to bring out the best from each producer. Same could happen with these "generic producers". RedOne's work without Gaga is worse than any of these examples...

Plus, albums like Dangerous Woman or 1989 are actually very, very good albums, production-wise. So, it would be interesting to see Gaga working with these producers and delivering something different.

Finally, Gaga released "The Cure". She already did generic without these producers.

Bradley
5 minutes ago, MaryJaneHolland said:

I said executive producers. Meaning a producer who has a strong creative influence on the direction of the entire album.

Not one song.

Which is actually a remake of an Elton John song.

MaryJaneHolland
1 minute ago, Bradley said:

I said executive producers. Meaning a producer who has a strong creative influence on the direction of the entire album.

Not one song.

Which is actually a remake of an Elton John song.

That is not even part of any of her albums.

I know :vegas: 

However,

2 minutes ago, AlexanderMagno said:

I don't think that's necessarily a good thing. First, because Gaga famously has the ability to bring out the best from each producer. Same could happen with these "generic producers". RedOne's work without Gaga is worse than any of these examples...

Plus, albums like Dangerous Woman or 1989 are actually very, very good albums, production-wise. So, it would be interesting to see Gaga working with these producers and delivering something different.

Finally, Gaga released "The Cure". She already did generic without these producers.

ALL OF THIS!

Luxe Ford

Her strength obviously isn't in avoiding generic producers.

It's the alchemy that occurs when she works with someone. Maybe even with anyone.

What happens in Luxe Ford stays in Luxe Ford

Sebastiaan De Graaf

She better works with RedOne, Max Martin and Shellback for LG6 to slay the charts:staymad:

Bradley
19 minutes ago, AlexanderMagno said:

No one credits Ariana Grande or Taylor Swift as artists who push the boundaries of pop music. We've heard them say this about Michael Jackson, Madonna, Prince, David Bowie, Lady Gaga and Beyonce, but can you see how displaced it is if you add Ariana Grande or Taylor Swift to the list? They've never done anything groundbreaking or risky, not their music, not their fashion, not their live shows, their entire careers are safe as fck, some might even go far as to calling their music 'bland'. I said in the OP that these producers write catchy hooks and melodies, I've never denied that.

They are free to collaborate with whomever they want, but there's a reason why Gaga is often placed on a higher league than them especially when it comes to talent and authenticity.

Archived