Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

I Have a Question About Marina And The Diamonds

Poissonche

Featured Posts

Poissonche

and it's not about whether she's keeping the Diamonds part or not. It's actually not much of a question. It still kind of is though. More of an opinion over the interpretation of the song Better Than That. It just hit me once and it haunted me ever since: in her song Better Than That, is the woman she's singing about actually herself? What do you think? Is it a known fact? Am I late?

John Wayne

As far as I know the song was targeted towards Ellie Goulding, but it was never confirmed

Battle 4 Ur Life

dude that’s actually mindblowing I never thought of that. but you see I hope NOT. cause Marina is bae she is super cute and clever and not slutty and the girl in btt sounds like she is just eww

"We own the Downtown, hear our sound."

LordEnigma
6 minutes ago, WokePop said:

dude that’s actually mindblowing I never thought of that. but you see I hope NOT. cause Marina is bae she is super cute and clever and not slutty and the girl in btt sounds like she is just eww

Ummm what’s wrong with being slutty?

Matangi
7 minutes ago, WokePop said:

if she were to write about herself in this manner it would probably be her being more self-critical than actually true, often how she writes to express her own self-consciousness and mental illness.

Poissonche
45 minutes ago, John Wayne said:

As far as I know the song was targeted towards Ellie Goulding, but it was never confirmed

39 minutes ago, WokePop said:

30 minutes ago, Matangi said:

if she were to write about herself in this manner it would probably be her being more self-critical than actually true, often how she writes to express her own self-consciousness and mental illness.

The reason I thought she was singing about herself was first a time when I listened to it right after Are You Satisfied. Here's what made my mind go WHOA:

"One life pretending to be/The cat who got the cream"

"They all say she's got low self-esteem/So, why is she looking like the cat who got the cream?"

So then I was like GIRL are you self-referring? Also, Marina has a history of talking about her low self-esteem in her songs.

And then I listened to the song with the mindset that it was all about herself. And it just worked. Other examples:

"I know you've been feeling sad/I've got no right to be mad, mad/But you can do better than that"

I don't understand why she would even think to be mad about that guy being sad because of a f*ck girl... unless she is HERSELF said f*ck girl! My interpretation, of course.

"I'm not passing judgment on her sexual life/I'm passing judgment on the way she always stuck her knife/In my back ever since we were starting out/Suspicious from the start, I always had my doubts about you"

Some people act some ways but regret it each time. Everyone's biggest enemy is one's self. And in general, if you know Marina's songs, you'll know she doesn't always feel good about herself and her acts. That's also my own interpretation, that may be wrong, about that part.

Also, if we look at Better Than That from that angle, we can link it to other songs on FROOT. For example, I'm A Ruin, in which she basically breaks up with her lover that she's "ruining" due to "playing with his heart". So Better Than That could actually be a "super" version of I'm A Ruin: instead of talking about how she ruins this one lover, she talks about how she ruins them all. And don't they call her "HOMEWRECKER, HOMEWRECKEEEER (I broke a million hearts just for fun)"? And in Blue, she talks about she doesn't love or care for this one lover (that may be a different one, who knows, who cares) and basically only wants him to boost her self-esteem (but kinda feels bad but kinda not).

Also, Marina's work has always been very introspective, especially on FROOT: thinking that she's just talking about some other girl f*cking around on that one song while she's introspecting for the rest of the album feels out of place, doesn't it?

I may be way out of line, but it's my interpretation. An interpretation is never wrong, even if it wasn't what the author meant in the first place: a great writer is a writer whose texts have hidden meanings they don't even know about themselves.

Also, the fact that I myself became a h0e for a while made me just apply Better Than That to my life, cuz it's kinda relatable (BUT I ALWAYS GO IN IT TELLING THEM MY REAL INTENTIONS, I NEVER PLAY WITH PEOPLE'S HEARTS just had to make that clear).

This is what I had to say about it hehe :)

Poissonche
1 hour ago, Loud said:

no she is not a band

YOU are not a band.

RIP Loud Lary Adjust.

Now you just saying solo TOUTES LES FEMMES SAVENT DANSER.

Spoiler

I hope this is what your username is referring to, which is actually unlikely, because if not I'll look random and crazy and bizarre.

1 minute ago, Poissonche said:

YOU are not a band.

RIP Loud Lary Adjust.

Now you just saying solo TOUTES LES FEMMES SAVENT DANSER.

Hide contents

I hope this is what your username is referring to, which is actually unlikely, because if not I'll look random and crazy and bizarre.

what in the world of the lord are you talking about

Poissonche
4 minutes ago, Loud said:

what in the world of the lord are you talking about

a rapper called Loud but he a francophone who raps in Frenglish. He's very famous right now amongst us francophone peasants. yay.

Just now, Poissonche said:

a rapper called Loud but he a francophone who raps in Frenglish. He's very famous right now amongst us francophone peasants. yay.

:poot:

Matangi
17 minutes ago, Poissonche said:

The reason I thought she was singing about herself was first a time when I listened to it right after Are You Satisfied. Here's what made my mind go WHOA:

"One life pretending to be/The cat who got the cream"

"They all say she's got low self-esteem/So, why is she looking like the cat who got the cream?"

So then I was like GIRL are you self-referring? Also, Marina has a history of talking about her low self-esteem in her songs.

And then I listened to the song with the mindset that it was all about herself. And it just worked. Other examples:

"I know you've been feeling sad/I've got no right to be mad, mad/But you can do better than that"

I don't understand why she would even think to be mad about that guy being sad because of a f*ck girl... unless she is HERSELF said f*ck girl! My interpretation, of course.

"I'm not passing judgment on her sexual life/I'm passing judgment on the way she always stuck her knife/In my back ever since we were starting out/Suspicious from the start, I always had my doubts about you"

Some people act some ways but regret it each time. Everyone's biggest enemy is one's self. And in general, if you know Marina's songs, you'll know she doesn't always feel good about herself and her acts. That's also my own interpretation, that may be wrong, about that part.

Also, if we look at Better Than That from that angle, we can link it to other songs on FROOT. For example, I'm A Ruin, in which she basically breaks up with her lover that she's "ruining" due to "playing with his heart". So Better Than That could actually be a "super" version of I'm A Ruin: instead of talking about how she ruins this one lover, she talks about how she ruins them all. And don't they call her "HOMEWRECKER, HOMEWRECKEEEER (I broke a million hearts just for fun)"? And in Blue, she talks about she doesn't love or care for this one lover (that may be a different one, who knows, who cares) and basically only wants him to boost her self-esteem (but kinda feels bad but kinda not).

Also, Marina's work has always been very introspective, especially on FROOT: thinking that she's just talking about some other girl f*cking around on that one song while she's introspecting for the rest of the album feels out of place, doesn't it?

I may be way out of line, but it's my interpretation. An interpretation is never wrong, even if it wasn't what the author meant in the first place: a great writer is a writer whose texts have hidden meanings they don't even know about themselves.

Also, the fact that I myself became a h0e for a while made me just apply Better Than That to my life, cuz it's kinda relatable (BUT I ALWAYS GO IN IT TELLING THEM MY REAL INTENTIONS, I NEVER PLAY WITH PEOPLE'S HEARTS just had to make that clear).

This is what I had to say about it hehe :)

nah i totally could see it in that way, and makes perfect sense for marina. makes me admire the songwriting a ot more too

RainingOnMe

She said it wasn't about Ellie G. but it was. Ellie "stole" Marina's old boyfriend back in 2013 (aka slept with him to get her a hit when him and Marina were still dating). But if it makes you happier you can say it's about Electra Heart :poot:

Poissonche
5 minutes ago, SarahMcLaughlin said:

She said it wasn't about Ellie G. but it was. Ellie "stole" Marina's old boyfriend back in 2013 (aka slept with him to get her a hit when him and Marina were still dating). But if it makes you happier you can say it's about Electra Heart :poot:

It may be what the song originated from, but as I said many times, this is all an interpretation. It's not exactly a search for the TRUTH, really just a reading of the lyrics based on personal reflection ;) But I love me some lil' celeb gossip, it's like the high school gossip I never got to experience because my closest friend in that damn school was the bathroom ;)

Archived