💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
movie

Rub & Tug May Not Happen Following Scarlett Johansson's Exit

Coop

Featured Posts

Coop

The future of Rub & Tug has been cast in doubt following Scarlett Johansson’s exit over criticisms of her portraying a transgender man in the film. Based on the true story of businessman/crime kingpin Dante "Tex" Gill, the movie would have reunited Johansson with her Ghost in the Shell director Rupert Sanders. The real Dante Gill was a bigger than life character who, while transitioning from female to male, went toe-to-toe with the mob and became a crime boss of 1970s Pittsburgh via his empire of illegal massage parlors.

But now it appears that without Johansson's name attached to the film, Rub & Tug is in danger of not being made at all. The Wrap reports that, according to sources with insider knowledge, it's unclear if the movie will go forward even though Sanders remains attached. Johansson's own production company These Pictures was set to produce, but it's not known if they will remain involved, now that the actress has left her role. Joel Silver’s Silver Pictures is also involved with the movie, but the company did not respond when asked to provide an update on their commitment.

Source

OBEY

Of course.

You need a big name to attach to the movie to made it happen, most of the times.

StarstruckIllusion

Smh. It’s times like these where I’m glad I’m not addicted to movies like 90% of the world. 

The Louvre

Well SJW got their wish, I guess? Or not? :vegas:

I didn't get the problem from the start tbh. The thing with acting is that you're pretending to be someone else, you play a role.

It's said the map of the world is on you. The moon gravitates around you. The seasons escape you.

SEANGT
25 minutes ago, The Louvre said:

I didn't get the problem from the start tbh. The thing with acting is that you're pretending to be someone else, you play a role.

38 minutes ago, OBEY said:

Of course.

You need a big name to attach to the movie to made it happen, most of the times.

some executive decides not to fund something and now that's trans activists fault. okay. 

SolidSnake
35 minutes ago, The Louvre said:

The problem is trans actors don't get the opportunity for roles and are still held back in Hollywood. 

elijahfan

Well, that was definitely a risk.... We're still in a day & age where it's hard to finance a movie without a big star as the lead. As much as the initial casting of Johansson did annoy me, at least the story would have been told.

elijahfan
53 minutes ago, The Louvre said:

It wouldn't have been a problem at all if trans actors had the opportunity to play cis characters. But they can't even play their own people.

The Louvre
15 minutes ago, SolidSnake said:

The problem is trans actors don't get the opportunity for roles and are still held back in Hollywood. 

Real progress would be giving trans actors roles as cis men or women, not giving them transgender roles. Isn't that kinda denying them the recognition of their (wo)manhood in saying that they're still different and that they have to play trans roles?

It's said the map of the world is on you. The moon gravitates around you. The seasons escape you.

SolidSnake
Just now, The Louvre said:

Real progress would be giving trans actors roles as cis men or women, not giving them transgender roles. Isn't that kinda denying them the recognition of their (wo)manhood in saying that they're still different and that they have to play trans roles?

The movie is about the struggles of transition, how in the hell wouldnt it be progress to give that role to someone who actually knows what that is like? A trans actor would bring more to the role. Yes what you are saying would be progress but that doesnt happen overnight. 

The Louvre
1 minute ago, SolidSnake said:

The movie is about the struggles of transition, how in the hell wouldnt it be progress to give that role to someone who actually knows what that is like? A trans actor would bring more to the role. Yes what you are saying would be progress but that doesnt happen overnight

Bradley Cooper doesn't know what it's like to be a navy seal sniper with PTSD either but he still managed to play that to positive critical reception. That is acting. I think treating trans actors differently from other actors isn't progress.

SolidSnake
1 minute ago, The Louvre said:

Bradley Cooper doesn't know what it's like to be a navy seal sniper with PTSD either but he still managed to play that to positive critical reception. That is acting. I think treating trans actors differently from other actors isn't progress.

So by your definition you would be okay with white actors playing black roles uniquely about the black experience? Would blackface be acceptable? Theres a line here that you need to draw. Playing a navy seal sniper isnt the same as a trans person. A trans actor would bring a unique perspective to a trans role obviously. Besides Bradley Cooper went through an intense period of getting into Chris Kyle's shoes as much as possible while preparing for the Chris Kyle role https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2015/01/20/how-bradley-cooper-trained-for-the-role-of-chris-kyle-in-american-sniper/?utm_term=.cbb946ce493d

I dont think Scarjo would be willing to live a man for months or attempt to go through a trans exeperience. Even if she did there are trans actors out there RIGHT NOW who already know what that experience is like.

OBEY
49 minutes ago, SEANGT said:

some executive decides not to fund something and now that's trans activists fault. okay. 

That's the bad reality we live in. There's no big transgender Hollywood celebrity bc Hollywood won't let it happen. I don't expect a movie with trans people for years to come unfortunately.

Whispering
2 minutes ago, SolidSnake said:

. Even if she did there are trans actors out there RIGHT NOW who already know what that experience is like.

Yeah, but unfortunately, the catch is that they aren't big name actors that will get the funding needed to make these movies. Therefore, the movie doesn't get made. 

Archived