💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Running out of pop?

PerfectCure

Featured Posts

Bradley

I'm just glad all the recent artists who played the Superbowl and gross a lot from touring are NOT hip-hop/rap artists.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2018 so far is quite dead on pop music, yeah (the kind of pop we were used to in late 00s and early 10s).

2017 had a little Taylor Swift in it, but her Reputation burned out quicker than I hoped for. 

I don't even remember what 2016 had. 

So yeah, pop is quite dead for now. But the things will turn around hopefully. 

As for the question of why this cycle repeats itself - "pop" music dominating and then falling into pits - I think it's just listeners being tired of the genre as a whole.

People switch to other music for a while and then if any pop singer appears with good enough material and star power (e.g. Britney, Gaga) they become captivated by pop music once again.

月にかわって、おしおきよ!🌙

ItsTommyBitch

Pop music is by definition contingent upon the time and its reception :emma: That's what makes it Pop - as in popular.

If we want to say that somewhat electronic infused dance music with certain chordal structure + overall song structures are going extinct, its a different story :sis: These days, I just call things what they are. It's probably our own bias of growing up with or being very influenced by artists like Gaga and music from this time period that makes us refer to them as "Pop" - they are certainly Pop artists in their intention, but whether or not their music is Pop depends. R&B tinged music, music with a strong "vibe" rather than melody or feel, etc... this is all potentially pop music, so its more accurate to say like "I miss late 2000s dance pop" or whatever.

While labels can be cumbersome, I find them effective. Carly Rae Jepsen isn't just "pop" she's bubblegum pop; Florence + the Machine is Baroque pop, indie rock, alternative, etc. 

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

Italian
15 hours ago, FRANK1991 said:

glad I realized the danger before it happened and has already collected a couple indie pop artists to satisfy my needs :ohwell:

Can you give examples of these

OP: I really hope Gaga and maybe even Madonna save this decade's pop music because besides Ariana and Dua Lipa, recent years have been pretty bad

FRANK1991
13 hours ago, Italian said:

Can you give examples of these

OP: I really hope Gaga and maybe even Madonna save this decade's pop music because besides Ariana and Dua Lipa, recent years have been pretty bad

Allie X, Betty Who, LANY, Troye Sivan, The 1975, Ralph, Anna of the North, Cardiknox, Dagny, FLETCHER, flor, Lauv, MUNA, St. Lucia

Cause once you let it go you better know it's gone

• 2 weeks later...
Sebastiaan De Graaf
On 7/15/2018 at 3:30 PM, Rino said:

2018 so far is quite dead on pop music, yeah (the kind of pop we were used to in late 00s and early 10s).

2017 had a little Taylor Swift in it, but her Reputation burned out quicker than I hoped for. 

I don't even remember what 2016 had. 

So yeah, pop is quite dead for now. But the things will turn around hopefully. 

As for the question of why this cycle repeats itself - "pop" music dominating and then falling into pits - I think it's just listeners being tired of the genre as a whole.

People switch to other music for a while and then if any pop singer appears with good enough material and star power (e.g. Britney, Gaga) they become captivated by pop music once again.

This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things and Getaway Car are coming for our wigs:legend: Her pop music is electro atm but still very interesting

Archived