A Star Is Born
politics

Canada To Surge Military Spending To Please Trump

Featured Posts

Economy   Paws Up 8,610
Economy

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/trudeau-bills-10-year-defence-plan-as-answer-to-trump-s-nato-spending-call-1.1106959

Canada plans to increase Military spending by 70% in order to reduce friction with Trump who insists NATO allies need to spend more on military

Canada right now spends only 1.4% of GDP on Military, the new targets would put it around the 2% of GDP,  the minimum the US demands NATO allies spend as their share

The US by comparison spends over 4% of GDP on Military, one of the very highest rates in the developed world!

Edited by Economy
  • Sad 2
jesse_batista

Economy   Paws Up 8,610
Economy
5 minutes ago, 27monster27 said:

:messga:

I'm not happy at all. Military is such an economic and financial drain :(

not only does it take financial resources that could be spent elsewhere, but it also takes up labor (soldiers and other military personnel) that dont do anything productive industrially or on the service sector etc

its a way to put so much pressure on an economies productivity

Edited by Economy
  • Like 4
jesse_batista

baptism   Paws Up 1,882
baptism

Maybe if the US didn't start so many ****ing fights and make so many enemies... not to mention they have more than 10x the amount of people in Canada. They need to spend more because they need more protection. Pathetic. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

CautiousLurker   Paws Up 4,934
CautiousLurker

Look at the bright side, maybe they'll accidentally invent a super useful mattress or something :spin:

Edited by CautiousLurker
  • LMAO 3

Economy   Paws Up 8,610
Economy
1 minute ago, CautiousLurker said:

Look at the bright side, maybe they'll accidentally invent a super useful mattress or something :spin:

Dying :deadbanana:

• Love 1
jesse_batista

Economy   Paws Up 8,610
Economy
3 minutes ago, OBEY said:

ugh why

Trudeau has no issue being generous with spending and increasing deficits...

I guess even for the military that's true if there is pressure to do so (from Trump)

First we were almost balanced budget and he campaigned if elected he'd run deficits of $10 Billion for 4 years...

Then suddenly it tripled and ballooned to almost $30 Billion the first year and now the 4 year plan for deficit elimination has been scrapped and we're expecting deficits as long as they have forecasts for

He clearly doesn't make putting our financial house in order a priority so I'm not totally shocked at this

Edited by Economy
jesse_batista

OBEY   Paws Up 32,142
OBEY
1 minute ago, Economy said:

Trudeau has no issue being generous with spending and increasing deficits...

I guess even for the military that's true if there is pressure to do so (from Trump)

First we were almost balanced budget and he campaigned if elected he'd run deficits of $10 Billion for 4 years...

Then suddenly it tripled and ballooned to almost $30 Billion the first year and now the 4 year plan for deficit elimination has been scrapped and we're expecting deficits as long as they have forecasts for

He clearly doesn't make putting our financial house in order a priority so I'm not totally shocked at this

This is bad. But still, I'll vote for him in the upcoming election because I won't vote for Scheer... :Emma: 

Economy   Paws Up 8,610
Economy
4 minutes ago, OBEY said:

This is bad. But still, I'll vote for him in the upcoming election because I won't vote for Scheer... :Emma: 

Sometimes there's just no good options tbh.

Here in Ontario the Elections were terrible this time around. All 3 main parties had their own issues and none to me were ideal

jesse_batista

OBEY   Paws Up 32,142
OBEY
8 minutes ago, Economy said:

Sometimes there's just no good options tbh.

Here in Ontario the Elections were terrible this time around. All 3 main parties had their own issues and none to me were ideal

I share more values with the liberals/Justin so that's what I'll go with :air: 

MarryTheAngel   Paws Up 513
MarryTheAngel

Where’s that gif of the little pageant girl throwing up? Because that’s how i feel about this 

• Like 1

Whispering   Paws Up 15,459
Whispering
2 hours ago, Economy said:

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/trudeau-bills-10-year-defence-plan-as-answer-to-trump-s-nato-spending-call-1.1106959

Canada plans to increase Military spending by 70% in order to reduce friction with Trump who insists NATO allies need to spend more on military

Canada right now spends only 1.4% of GDP on Military, the new targets would put it around the 2% of GDP,  the minimum the US demands NATO allies spend as their share

The US by comparison spends over 4% of GDP on Military, one of the very highest rates in the developed world!

According to NATO's official figures, the US is at 3.5. percent. The World Bank, which uses a different set of numbers, lists a lower percentage...3.145 percent in 2017 for US defense spending as a percentage of GDP.

Canada agreed to get it up to two per cent by the year 2024. That goal was set before Trump ever announced he was running, much less became President. The U.K. has already met that goal and France is close. 

The four per cent number is something Trump said during that breakfast. You know he makes numbers up! Lol

Edited by Whispering
  • Like 1

Economy   Paws Up 8,610
Economy
10 hours ago, Whispering said:

According to NATO's official figures, the US is at 3.5. percent. The World Bank, which uses a different set of numbers, lists a lower percentage...3.145 percent in 2017 for US defense spending as a percentage of GDP.

Canada agreed to get it up to two per cent by the year 2024. That goal was set before Trump ever announced he was running, much less became President. The U.K. has already met that goal and France is close. 

The four per cent number is something Trump said during that breakfast. You know he makes numbers up! Lol

The 4% figure had been stated before Trump tho

However it could be that figures vary depending what you include in the figures as there is spending that isn't exactly for military but it relates to it indirectly. Perhaps the 4% counts that?

Also a commitment may have been made before but Canada wasn't doing anything about the commitment. Trudeau only reversed course on Military spending declines as share of GDP now it seems (at least according to the article)

Edited by Economy
jesse_batista