💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

How they really became famous: Sam Smith Edition

Not The Real Gaga

Featured Posts

Not The Real Gaga

Note: I don't want to shade anyone, I just think this is an interesting topic to talk about.

sam-smith-almost-quit-music-1b641530-57c

HOW THEY REALLY BECAME FAMOUS: SAM SMITH EDITION

Look, Sam Smith has undoubtedly a lot of talent and is a great singer-songwriter. He is just 26 years old and has already reached a lot in his life. I respect that. Nevertheless, lately I've been doing some research (okay, I opened Wikipedia and read his biography) and noticed that there are a lot of other factors that helped him to break through. Just in general, besides talent, to become famous or successful in the entertainment industry, there are factors like having the right connections and money that will really help you to push through where others will fail. Unsurprisingly, the question is, how much luck did Sam Smith really have?

The money

His mom, Kate Cassidy, is a broker, which implies Smith is from a rich family. To help to shape your talent, artists are supposed to invest a lot in themselves, for training. He studied singing and songwriting under the well-known jazz pianist Joanna Eden for a number of years, which I assume, aren't the cheapest classes you can take. He has more people in his family with good jobs, so I can't imagine him being poor. Which seems to be true, because I found an article about his mother, stating: "Cassidy was a high-powered London banker, making up to $750.000 a year". Well money isn't everything, it can definitely help you to build your career. You can easier follow training with the best teachers around, make professional connections and invest in yourself (like funding your own songs).

The connections

Believe it or not - I didn't know this - but Sam Smith has a lot of famous family members which are well known in the entertainment industry. Okay, with most of them, he isn't that closely related, but still. He is - for example - the third-cousin of singer Lily Allen (whose father is Keith Allen and mother is Alison Owen, which both work in the creative industry). In 2014 he stated that "he has never met her because his family is huge". Nevertheless, he was surrounded by people with influence and connections - again, also thanks to his mother. On top of that, since his childhood, he had already the help of many managers which helped him to build his career and to make even more connections with people from the industry. 

Let's discuss this! :D

Bradley

This is actually an interesting topic. Thanks for the information.

He also built his career by being the first gay man to snatch an Oscar. :bon:

Sorry I had to. :bon:

DelusionalGaga
16 minutes ago, Unites said:

He studied singing and songwriting under the well-known jazz pianist Joanna

Little did she know that her protégé would steal her Oscar many years later. 

giphy.webp

iCpro
8 minutes ago, Bradley said:

This is actually an interesting topic. Thanks for the information.

He also built his career by being the first gay man. :bon:

Sorry I had to. :bon:

Fixed :bon:

08, 09, 11, 13, 16, 20

Bebe

I mean, third cousins is a but of a stretch. He came from a level of privilege though and that privilege helped him get to where he is today, you can say that about a lot of successful people including a lot of successful musicians (including Gaga tbh). 

blackpink
17 minutes ago, Fable said:

I mean, third cousins is a but of a stretch. He came from a level of privilege though and that privilege helped him get to where he is today, you can say that about a lot of successful people including a lot of successful musicians (including Gaga tbh). 

I agree. A lot of people that don’t like Gaga know that she came from a well-off Upper West Side family and use that as an excuse to say her family bought her a career :rip: 

Not The Real Gaga
16 minutes ago, Fable said:

Yes, that's true. I want to make more editions of this topic. There a lot of famous people indeed that came from a level of privilege that definitely helped them to build their career. Having the right connections and family members that can help you, is an important factor too, though. For example: French actress Léa Seydoux, actor Jake Gyllenhaal, actress Rooney Mara, singer Taylor Swift, actress Bryce Dallas Howard, singer Ariana Grande, actress Kristen Stewart, etc. There are so many top-level celebs who are famous thanks to their position in society. 

Not The Real Gaga
12 minutes ago, Dolce Vita said:

I agree. A lot of people that don’t like Gaga know that she came from a well-off Upper West Side family and use that as an excuse to say her family bought her a career :rip: 

Which still means she had a privileged position too, which made things a lot easier for her than for someone from a poor family. 

(I don't speak about her talent, though.)

Yuuri
59 minutes ago, Unites said:

"Cassidy was a high-powered London banker, making up to $750.000 a year"

I know you likely copy-pasted from the article, but it bugs me when people use a period instead of a comma. $750.00 and $750,000.00 is a big difference. I know different countrys and whatnot.

OT: And T. Swift gets a lot of hate because she comes a well off family, claiming her dad bought her career.

Not The Real Gaga
Just now, Sharyu said:

I know you likely copy-pasted from the article, but it bugs me when people use a period instead of a comma. $750.00 and $750,000.00 is a big difference. I know different countrys and whatnot.

OT: And T. Swift gets a lot of hate because she comes a well off family, claiming her dad bought her career.

Sorry. I'm used to using a period indeed. But considering that it has three 0's behind it, it thought it would be clear for everyone.

Yuuri
Just now, Unites said:

Sorry. I'm used to using a period indeed. But considering that it has three 0's behind it, it thought it would be clear for everyone.

Different countries different forms of writing. All good.

Not The Real Gaga
2 minutes ago, Sharyu said:

Which isn't a false statement per se. It sounds so negative, but it is a little bit true at least. Money has definitely helped her. Like, so could take the best classes and she could - in theory - produce her own professional album with her own money. 

NewUsername

Well of course. 
When during interviews artists get asked: "Do you have some tips for other people that want to become famous?", they always say "a lot of hard work". This of course is true, but you can't deny that there's always a factor of connections and good luck. It's the same for almost all of the jobs and whatnot.

Bebe
28 minutes ago, Dolce Vita said:

Yeah which is dumb, no doubt her education and lessons all helped her, and those things are indicative of a level of 'wealth' and 'privilege' but Gaga clearly worked her ass off to get where she is.

Archived