Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
throwback

Genie 19 Y.O.

Arcanum

Featured Posts

Arcanum

It's time to feel our age all of us who are 25+.

It's 1999, back to the belle epoque of teen pop music, when boy bands and 18 y.o. starlets shredded every chart to pieces.

6/22/1999 : An 18 y.o. Christina Aguilera releases the 1st single off her self-titled debut album: Genie in a bottle.

51Zg64NLYTL._SX355_.jpg

The song would mark her 1st Billboard #1, as well as her 1st no.1 in UK charts along with 19 more countries.

"Genie" has a legacy of redifining pop music in the late 90's. It is considered her signature song and it paved the way of a career of hits and misses.

Facts:

**Globally the single sold over 10 million copies and is listed as one of the best-selling singles of all time.

**She was nominated for a Best Female Pop Vocal Performance in 2000 Grammys. She lost it to Sarah McLachlan, but snatched the Best New Artist (there was quite a mess back in the day because everyone was sure that Britney would win that).

**The song was deemed by some  groups as controversial of the line "Gotta rub me the right way", so they tried to boycott it from playing to radio stations.

**Christina wasn't actually fond of the song because she wanted a more rnb direction for her self titled album.

**She made an official remake of the song in her "Keeps Gettin' Better" album, which was a compilation of her biggest hits.

**It still sounds fresh & addictive.

HFmn.gif

Happy Bday Genie! Thanx for making our innocent summer nights of early millenium spark up a bit!

I Wantth your Love...I Wantth your Love.

DiscoHeaven23

That was the song of the summer of 1999, it was everywhere. I was 7 at the time 

Memories :diane:

Pablo

wow, I remember hearing it on the radio all the time on the way to school :selena:

Don't visit my profile

RAMROD

Even now it is a bop :sis:

It was one of song during my pre-teen. Saw often on MTV each afternoon in MTV after i got back from school. I was 15, going 16. And already got my puberty. And every night before I sleep, thinking about my headmaster that I have crush on, who was also a pastor, since I enrolled in Catholic School, to rub me the right way. :diane:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ unknown.. despair.. a lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

River

I'm genie in a bottle baby come come come e le meowth :diane: (my 10 years old nishearing)

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Arcanum
29 minutes ago, Nemo said:

I wouldn't consider it her signature song anymore, but yeah.

I guess it's between "Genie" & "Beautiful"? :oops:

LaLuna

Not gonna lie, I loved this song when it came out. And her first album was the only Christina album I ever bought :oops:

But "redefining pop music of the late 90s"? I think that honor belongs to Britney, Xtina was always one step behind her.

Arcanum
2 hours ago, LaLuna said:

Not gonna lie, I loved this song when it came out. And her first album was the only Christina album I ever bought :oops:

But "redefining pop music of the late 90s"? I think that honor belongs to Britney, Xtina was always one step behind her.

With all the respect, I love both their debuts and I could dare say that till this day I revisit most Britney's debut album out of these 2. I do think that both Britney & Christina redefined pop music, but I think that maybe what Aguilera did better was revamp the growling vocal techniques and the powerhouse singing in pop songs. Of course Celine, Mariah & Whitney were all out there but Christina was in terms of vocal abilities over the top out of all the emerging young artists.

Well at least then she wasn't considered an oversinging diva as she is now. 

10 hours ago, Arcanum said:

Beautiful by miles IMHO.

FentyGa
21 hours ago, Arcanum said:

11 hours ago, Nemo said:

Beautiful by miles IMHO.

Lady Marmalade and Moves Like Jagger are kind of more relevant now tho?

Arcanum
2 hours ago, maxblac said:

Lady Marmalade and Moves Like Jagger are kind of more relevant now tho?

I guess so in terms of charts success. But those weren't solo endeavors and didn't define her in terms of artistry. I mean after those hits the GP didn't pay attention to her. Oh, just thinkin'..:happy:

Archived