Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
achievement

50 Songs That Define the Last 50 Years of LGBTQ+ Pride (Born This Way)

Mr S

Featured Posts

Lady Gaga

“Born This Way”

Four years before gay marriage became legal across the United States, Lady Gaga put out her most unabashed LGBTQ+ anthem. She had cultivated a queer fan base since 2008’s “Just Dance,” and even hinted that 2008’s “Poker Face” was about her own bisexuality, but “Born This Way” cut out the subtlety: This was a dance-pop banger about how every queer kid on Earth was born perfect. The stomping four-on-the-floor beat and triumphant hook make “Born This Way” an irresistible, adrenalizing ride, and Gaga’s snarling vocals add some high camp flair. By 2011, Pride had already become a high profile affair, but no other star had instructed their massive fan base to “just be a queen” in a No. 1 hit, nor had anyone this big in pop explicitly proclaimed that queer people were not a curse upon the Earth but a blessing. Gaga was at the peak of her powers, and she used the moment to preach the gospel of Mother Monster: The gayer you are, the closer to God. 
–Sasha Geffen

https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/50-songs-that-define-the-last-50-years-of-lgbtq-pride/?page=4

ThisGuyTony

And some people will continue to deny this song and its cultural impact. :ladyhaha: 

Get that achievement Gagz. :applause: 

Phaye Monster

Glad Pitchfork respects the fact that Gaga is the rightful Queen of the Gays:vegas:

I'm an ARTPOP bitch, baby

Moebius

can we talk about the fact that Gaga basically ruined her commercial career with this for us? nowadays its trendy to support the geyzzz and get that social media clout but back then she was ****ing crucified :rip: 

I hate it so much that people get all the credit and love for things Gaga has been unfairly criticized for.

The Most Popular Girls in School megarate is cancelled!

Taide
2 minutes ago, Moebius said:

can we talk about the fact that Gaga basically ruined her commercial career with this for us? nowadays its trendy to support the geyzzz and get that social media clout but back then she was ****ing crucified :rip: 

I hate it so much that people get all the credit and love for things Gaga has been unfairly criticized for.

Yup. I mean remember when everyone were saying how Illuminati or Satanic Gaga was in 2010-2011 with Alejandro/BTW/Judas videos etc? Yet these days artist show straight dead or religion on music videos and they are praised etc. 

Doncho

That last sentence though :ladyhaha:

"The gayer you are, the closer to God. "

Born this Way s impact is amazing!

Miel

For a timeless song (in my opinion), it truly was a sign of its time. For the better (boldness pushing the rhetoric of equality and individuality forward into the mainstream) and for the worse (the intense backlash).

3 points in and ready for more

Antichrist

what a legend, she's mentioned TWICE, in 1989 and in 2011. TRULY a bop of infinite proportions

tumblr_owoe1fdjzZ1qby767o2_500.gif

Spoiler
Spoiler

:ladyhaha:

She's also mentioned elsewhere in the article but I won't post that part to not derail the thread

9 hours ago, Moebius said:

nowadays its trendy to support the geyzzz and get that social media clout

It is?

Archived