💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

CEREMONY: Selling England by The Pound - Genesis

SolidSnake

Featured Posts

That J
Just now, SolidSnake said:

I couldnt believe this song tied with the next one. The next one is better in my opinion 

Ahhhhhh I'm nervous. 

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oriane

The top two are the best :tony:

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

That J

I'm very happy with the top 3 but what is number 1?!?!?!

@SolidSnake dangling me over a cliff. 

That J

I actually think this rate was done RIGHT.   But we didnt have any trolls.  

Oriane
Just now, Rumours1977 said:

:S:wacko:

You all killed all my favs. 

Which songs are left?

My favs :oops:

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

That J
1 minute ago, Rumours1977 said:

:S:wacko:

You all killed all my favs. 

Which songs are left?

My 11!!!!!   And please let it win! 

SolidSnake

#2 - Dancing With The Moonlit Knight - Rating 8.7

"Dancing with the Moonlit Knight" evolved from a number of short piano pieces composed by Gabriel, which was combined with some of Hackett's guitar figures to make up the track. Gabriel added English-themed lyrics to counter the impression from the music press that Genesis were trying too hard to appeal to the American audience, including references to Green Shield Stamps. Banks had upgraded to a new model of Mellotron and used the choir sound on the track. The track ends with a series of 12-string guitar figures that were originally supposed to segue into "The Cinema Show" to make a piece around 20 minutes in length, but this idea was dropped as the result was too comparable to the 23-minute "Supper's Ready" on Foxtrot.[3]Its original working title was "Disney". Rutherford thought the song's opening provided a good start to the album, but felt less enthusiastic with it overall, calling it "a bit busy"

x421-2.jpg.pagespeed.ic.0lK0tkzGvg.jpg

Lowest Rating: @Rumours1977 - 6.75

"I don’t really know how I feel about this song. On one hand, I enjoy the lyricism very much. On the other, the large instrumental breaks don’t really add much to the aura of the music for me. I want moments where there are only instruments playing to impact me emotionally, and this didn’t really do that. With that said, I still think the song overall is good. It also could have been a couple minutes shorter if I’m being totally honest."

Highest Rating: @That J - 11

"As usual, I have two elevens and the first track is the one I have to give my ONE eleven to. This is such a unique album way before the 80s heyday Genesis is primarily known for. Old school music fans know Genesis was a game changer. Dancing With Moonlit is a prime example of their greatness. With Peter Gabriel's genius turns, the vocals are delicious but it's the story telling lyrics where things really flow. This is story soul music with one of THE MOST AMAZING guitar solos ever put to record.  Period!"

(P.S This is my favorite on the album) 

That J
Just now, Oriane said:

My favs :oops:

So far, your prize is soooo nice!

That J
Just now, SolidSnake said:

#2 - Dancing With The Moonlit Knight - Rating 8.7

"Dancing with the Moonlit Knight" evolved from a number of short piano pieces composed by Gabriel, which was combined with some of Hackett's guitar figures to make up the track. Gabriel added English-themed lyrics to counter the impression from the music press that Genesis were trying too hard to appeal to the American audience, including references to Green Shield Stamps. Banks had upgraded to a new model of Mellotron and used the choir sound on the track. The track ends with a series of 12-string guitar figures that were originally supposed to segue into "The Cinema Show" to make a piece around 20 minutes in length, but this idea was dropped as the result was too comparable to the 23-minute "Supper's Ready" on Foxtrot.[3]Its original working title was "Disney". Rutherford thought the song's opening provided a good start to the album, but felt less enthusiastic with it overall, calling it "a bit busy"

x421-2.jpg.pagespeed.ic.0lK0tkzGvg.jpg

Lowest Rating: @Rumours1977 - 6.75

"I don’t really know how I feel about this song. On one hand, I enjoy the lyricism very much. On the other, the large instrumental breaks don’t really add much to the aura of the music for me. I want moments where there are only instruments playing to impact me emotionally, and this didn’t really do that. With that said, I still think the song overall is good. It also could have been a couple minutes shorter if I’m being totally honest."

Highest Rating: @That J - 11

"As usual, I have two elevens and the first track is the one I have to give my ONE eleven to. This is such a unique album way before the 80s heyday Genesis is primarily known for. Old school music fans know Genesis was a game changer. Dancing With Moonlit is a prime example of their greatness. With Peter Gabriel's genius turns, the vocals are delicious but it's the story telling lyrics where things really flow. This is story soul music with one of THE MOST AMAZING guitar solos ever put to record.  Period!"

(P.S This is my favorite on the album) 

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

That J

Moonlit Knight is the best song on the album but I gotta say the taste was 92% right in this rate and that NEVER happens so good job guys! 

SolidSnake

Which means the winner is..... 

Firth of Fifth! 

Banks wrote most of "Firth of Fifth" on his own, and had presented it to the group for Foxtrot, but it was rejected. He reworked some sections of the song for Selling England by the Pound, where it drew a more positive reception. The track opens with a solo piece for piano, that is repeated by the band later in the song. Hackett took one of Banks' piano figures and rearranged it as a guitar solo, which dominates the latter part of the track. Banks later deemed the lyrics, for which he contributed at least in part, as one of the worst that he had worked on.

Genesis-Peter-Gabriel-Steve-Hackett.png

Lowest Rating: @Rumours1977 - 7.5 

The lyricism again is rather simplistic – even more so than the last track. However, the saving grace on this song is the great musicianship. While I felt how long Dancing with the Moonlit Knight was, I didn’t get that long, drawn-out feeling on this track. However, I do see why some people would consider this style of music to be slightly pretentious

Highest Rating: TIED between @KING and @Oriane both with 11's! 

"I really like the instrumental parts, it’s very classical."

Archived