Sign in to follow this  
politics

USA Quits 'Biased' Un Human Rights Council

Featured Posts

Coop   Paws Up 13,367
Coop

What is the UN Human Rights Council

Spoiler

Created in 2006 to replace the UN's Human Rights Commission, which was widely discredited for electing member states with questionable track records on human rights

All of the 47 members are elected for three-year terms

The council aims to shine a spotlight on rights abuses by adopting resolutions but has faced similar criticism to the commission

In 2013, human rights groups complained when China, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Algeria and Vietnam were elected to the body

The US only joined in 2009 under President Barack Obama. It is midway through its current term

The US has pulled out of the United Nations Human Rights Council.

The body is "hypocritical and self-serving" and "makes a mockery of human rights", said Nikki Haley, the US envoy to the UN.

Ms Haley last year accused the council of "chronic anti-Israel bias" and said the US was reviewing its membership.

Formed in 2006, the Geneva-based council has been criticised for allowing countries with questionable human rights records to be members.

UN Secretary-General António Guterres, in a statement released through his spokesman, said he would have "much preferred" the US to remain in the council.

The UN human rights commissioner, Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein, called the US withdrawal "disappointing, if not really surprising, news".

The move comes amid intense criticism over the Trump administration's policy of separating child migrants from their parents at the US-Mexico border.

https://www.bbc.com/news/44537372

• Sad 2
It's strange what desire will make foolish people do.

keyboardfreak96   Paws Up 83
keyboardfreak96

Human rights are so 2 years ago. 

• Like 1
  • LMAO 1

MarryTheAngel   Paws Up 507
MarryTheAngel

The continued distrust and disregard for national and international institutions will only lead to chaos. Hold on girls, its gonna be a tough century.

Rumours1977   Paws Up 14,844
Rumours1977
8 minutes ago, Coop said:

The move comes amid intense criticism over the Trump administration's policy of separating child migrants from their parents at the US-Mexico border.

Wait....

What if he is fueling that fire in order to make people not notice the US pulling out of the Human Rights Council? 

:toofunny:

Reginald   Paws Up 1,416
Reginald
18 minutes ago, Rumours1977 said:

Wait....

What if he is fueling that fire in order to make people not notice the US pulling out of the Human Rights Council? 

:toofunny:

I wouldn't be surprised. And I'm so outraged by it all.

I'm on a serious Carly Rae Jepsen binge

River   Paws Up 18,707
River

Good, European countries needs to do the same, this council is laughing at human rights, this council did nothing to any country or group of people that in need.

How can you sit next to someone from a country that by law are violating human rights from women, from lgbt (actually killing them by law yes?), immigrants and others.

It's a joke.

This council needs to get a soft reboot, kick out all the countries that violating human rights and only accepting countries with a major human rights criteria.

• Like 3
I'm not serious 99% of the times ;)

Nicogly   Paws Up 1,910
Nicogly
8 minutes ago, River said:

Good, European countries needs to do the same, this council is laughing at human rights, this council did nothing to any country or group of people that in need.

How can you sit next to someone from a country that by law are violating human rights from women, from lgbt (actually killing them by law yes?), immigrants and others.

It's a joke.

This council needs to get a soft reboot, kick out all the countries that violating human rights and only accepting countries with a major human rights criteria.

agreed 100% and he chronic anti-israeli agenda is so palpable as well

Rock On and A Last One For the Road 🚬

ItsTommyBitch   Paws Up 9,737
ItsTommyBitch

Can we just impeach Trump for treason or something :deadbanana: He's deliberately alienating us from our most important allies at every chance and cozying up to dictators and despots :rip: I cannot see how anyone could just read this headline, know nothing, and immediately be in support of the concept of being against an organization meant to secure human rights :smh: I'm no conspiracy theorist or follower, but it just seems too on the nose that Trump is friends with Russia, is generally kind and welcoming to people who are in charge of places where he has the most positive business ties or potential business... He's just so transparent :air: 

~~~~

The Human Rights Council is not perfect, and there are valid criticisms that can be leveled against it... but it seems like he is pulling out because he can and wants to after the U.S. has been criticized for their anti-human rights policies as of late, not because he thinks they are a flawed council :rip: 

I'm disgusted by the fact that Fox News could literally spin this to blame LIBERALS, and PC culture, etc. in 2020 and get away with it :saladga: Conservative officials are already trying to blame democrats for their own policy about separating children from families and people are believing it because they'll believe anything :air: 

Edited by ItsTommyBitch
  • Like 4
私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

Morphine Prince   Paws Up 44,891
Morphine Prince

The council is a mess but leaving it doesn’t solve anything. 

We’re just continuing with the isolationist policy Trump has. 

• Like 2
I got two red pills to take the blues away.

River   Paws Up 18,707
River
3 minutes ago, Nicogly said:

agreed 100% and he chronic anti-israeli agenda is so palpable as well

My country is not a saint at all, but the council is focusing only on the conflict and not on any other horrors in the world, we got to the point that we need Angelina Jolie to show up and to make someone give a f-ck about Mosul..

I'm not serious 99% of the times ;)

lairofhk   Paws Up 409
lairofhk

Yea, well we do have a literal dictator in power. With all the sh*t that's going on, we don't even deserve to be there. America's clearly far beneath championing for human rights.

lairofhk   Paws Up 409
lairofhk
13 minutes ago, ItsTommyBitch said:

I'm disgusted by the fact that Fox News could literally spin this to blame LIBERALS, and PC culture, etc. in 2020 and get away with it :saladga: Conservative officials are already trying to blame democrats for their own policy about separating children from families and people are believing it because they'll believe anything :air: 

These people are mad. Totally mad. They'll say anything and pull the craziest **** out of their ass just so they can continue existing in their alternate universe with their almighty prophet lord god savior Donald Trump and serve their own sinister agendas. Basically just straight propaganda. 

imnotyourbabe10   Paws Up 1,849
imnotyourbabe10

Ya'll, human beings deserve every ominous thing coming our way regardless of T***p (he's certainly a yuge factor, no doubt). 

We desecrate Mother Earth and all her beautiful creatures & lands for the sake of profit, we kill one another for various reasons, we often fail at inter-personal connections in the age of social media.  I see a lot of avarice, lust and gluttony these days (in many forms---relationships, Amazon Prime 2 day shipping, binge watching Netflix, and so forth).

Yes, we are capable of altruism but it occurs, seemingly, few and far between (except on GGD, of course :ladyhaha:).

C'mon, galaxy space and time :stalkga:, give us that asteroid that we luhhhve :tony:

I'm sad the dinosaurs didn't make it yet we did :saladga:  At least our planet will be around for many more years--Mother Earth has done just fine coping with the previous 4 Billion years of ups and downs.

SKANK   Paws Up 6,704
SKANK
58 minutes ago, ItsTommyBitch said:

Can we just impeach Trump for treason or something :deadbanana: He's deliberately alienating us from our most important allies at every chance and cozying up to dictators and despots :rip: How is anyone really in support of this, unless you're just an Alt-Right troll that doesn't believe in equal rights :smh: I'm no conspiracy theorist or follower, but it just seems too on the nose that Trump is friends with Russia, is generally kind and welcoming to people who are in charge of places where he has the most positive business ties or potential business... He's just so transparent :air: 

~~~~

The Human Rights Council is not perfect... but it seems like he is pulling out because he can and wants to personally, esp. after the U.S. has been criticized for their anti-human rights policies as of late, not because he thinks they are a flawed council :rip: 

I'm not an Alt-Right troll, and I agree with the sentiment of everything you said, but I would caution you against making sweeping generalizations like the one I underlined. The UN Human Rights Council really is extremely biased and hypocritical. There are reasonable reasons for leaving it.

• Like 2

ItsTommyBitch   Paws Up 9,737
ItsTommyBitch
45 minutes ago, SKANK said:

I'm not an Alt-Right troll, and I agree with the sentiment of everything you said, but I would caution you against making sweeping generalizations like the one I underlined. The UN Human Rights Council really is extremely biased and hypocritical. There are reasonable reasons for leaving it.

I'm very aware, and I acknowledged that in my post, it was hyperbolic on purpose. It was more getting at the idea of someone hearing "U.S. to leave UN Human Rights Council" on the news and thinking "good" based on that information alone. 

Could've been a lot more clear.

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから