Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Beyonce and Jay Z/cultural appropriation

Blond

Featured Posts

Ziggy
1 hour ago, MonsterOfSpain said:

The point is I don't even agree with the idea of "cultural appropiation". Of course I'm not accusing Beyon-Z of it, but my point was that while white artists get accused of appropiating other cultures for every performance or video they do, it seems that because they're black they can't "appropriate" other cultures. 

I think the whole idea of thinking an artist paying homage or referencing elements from a different culture in their art is wrong or "appropriative" to be effing stupid. All cultures are supposed to mix, respect and reference each other, that has always been the base of humanity, multiculturality and interchange of ideas and experiences. Saying that wearing dreadlocks or kimonos has to be exclusive to a certain race or ethnic group is xenophobic and idiotic in my opinion. There are many more issues to voice in this world that saying somebody is racist for taking elements from another culture lmao.

Oh no I think Beyoncé has been at least toeing the line of appropriative before, not totally, but near it namely with the African aesthetics she adopts. Oftentimes they’re kind of just looks so while yay she’s celebrating Africa, she’s also not African and they aren’t really pulling from something...but from my understanding from the African people I know who are familiar with her they just find it funny when black Americans talk about Nubian queens and the homeland. It’s difficult to say whether it’s appropriative, though, because then you have to unpack whether or not black Americans have greater sociocultural power than black Africans so it’s a more complicated debate and not one I think I would be qualified to take part in as a white guy. Bey was also called out for the Indian aesthetic in that Cold Play video, too!

It’s different with white artists, though, because they *do* hold sociocultural dominance. I wouldn’t say every case people point out is appropriation, but something like corn rows that white chicks pass off as “boxerbraids”? C’mon, that’s horse **** imo I think everyone knows that they just gave it a new name to be more white acceptable. Or TSwift not having black people in Africa video. Is it an odd decision? Yeah, and most definitely informed by her narrow-minded privilege, but I wouldn’t say it’s appropriative like others do.

So I think we’re in soft agreement. I do think it’s possible for black artists to be appropriative, it’s just not seen as frequently.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JLoveLamar
On 6/18/2018 at 5:12 AM, Miss Cherry said:

Why? Are you a white supremacist? DO you not like it when people of colour and other races are featured? DO you think it should have been all whites? It's a great video and you are a disgusting racist,.

Of course my Black ass is a White supremacist. It's evidenced by me calling out others when Madonna's least White video is accused of being her worst! 

SARCASM! LEARN IT LIKE ASAP!!!!!

MorganMak
On 6/17/2018 at 7:48 PM, Borislshere said:

He said dominant race not superior race therefore his comment wasn't racist. 

Yeah but dominant where? In the English speaking world and Europe. Globally, white people are vastly outnumbered. the USA and UK and Europe are not the whole world, you get that right?

MorganMak
On 6/18/2018 at 2:36 AM, hankhatesyouall said:

The hypocrisy of social justice warriors has just reached the level of absolute insanity. There is always a knee jerk reaction from progressives when a certain white rappers tries to use elements of hip-hop culture or, God forbids, a white woman shoots a video in Africa without black people on the cast. At the same time it's completely OK for the Carters to film their "dancing" in a French Museum and show the greatest European paintings without featuring a single white person in their video. It seems like it doesn't work both ways. 

I do not want to buy this "oppressed" bullshit. How are the Carters oppressed? Jay is a drug dealer and Beyonce is a filthy rich pop singer who suddenly became woke. They should have filmed this in Houston or Africa, stay away from the European heritage. The same people who adore their new video say that white people have no culture:dry:.

PREACH! Thank you so much for saying this. The level of rabid SJW "anyone who's not white is a victim" mentality on this site is FAR TOO HIGH. Maybe the SJWs should follow their own instructions and tell Bey and J to "stay in their own lane" and leave European art alone. 

Borislshere
1 hour ago, MorganMak said:

Yeah but dominant where? In the English speaking world and Europe. Globally, white people are vastly outnumbered. the USA and UK and Europe are not the whole world, you get that right?

He's not talking about white people outnumbering anyone though :saladga:

His Main point was that white people have practically been the top of the food chain for centuries. It still is that way in about 85% of the world. Pretending otherwise would be foolish and ignorant. You get that right?

10 minutes ago, MorganMak said:

tell Bey and J to "stay in their own lane" and leave European art alone. 

The art in that museum isn't owned by any specific culture and has been used in referenced in pop culture for decades. Why should aren't they allowed to admire it and use it in their work? Were you this upset during ARTPOP?

MorganMak
Just now, Borislshere said:

He's not talking about white people outnumbering anyone though :saladga:

His Main point was that white people have practically been the top of the food chain for centuries. It still is that way in about 85% of the world. Pretending otherwise would be foolish and ignorant. You get that right?

The art in that museum isn't owned by any specific culture and has been used in referenced in pop culture for decades. Why should aren't they allowed to admire it and use it in their work? Were you this upset during ARTPOP?

"Top of the food chain"? What exactly? "In 85% of the world?" Huh? I honestly have zero idea what you're referring too but you sound awfully racist to me, trying to convince me white people run this world.

In countries that are not mainly white, they most certainly do not run society. In white majority countries, (of which there are only a small handful in the big picture), its' normal that whites occupy most of the positions of power in the government, because you know, they make up most of the population. Please name a country that is run by white people in Africa or Asia. How are white people at the "top of the food chain" in India or China, where more than a billion people live in each. Stop thinking the whole world is just like the place where you live. Most countries are NOT white on this earth, and in those countries white people are not "on top". 

Stop projecting onto people around the world that they think whites are superior and "on top". Maybe you think that, and if feel very puzzled and sorry for you. 

NCgaga
On 6/21/2018 at 4:34 PM, MorganMak said:

"Top of the food chain"? What exactly? "In 85% of the world?" Huh? I honestly have zero idea what you're referring too but you sound awfully racist to me, trying to convince me white people run this world.

In countries that are not mainly white, they most certainly do not run society. In white majority countries, (of which there are only a small handful in the big picture), its' normal that whites occupy most of the positions of power in the government, because you know, they make up most of the population. Please name a country that is run by white people in Africa or Asia. How are white people at the "top of the food chain" in India or China, where more than a billion people live in each. Stop thinking the whole world is just like the place where you live. Most countries are NOT white on this earth, and in those countries white people are not "on top". 

Stop projecting onto people around the world that they think whites are superior and "on top". Maybe you think that, and if feel very puzzled and sorry for you. 

Races aren’t superior. But globally and economically - white people are involved in the most powerful economies in the world. This doesn’t mean they are superior- but actually is the aftermath of global colonization of European countries.  

The most powerful economy is the American economy- a country in which the largest race is white. China’s biggest “consumers of goods” are from the west- USA and Europe. Without them, China would collapse. Again it doesn’t mean that white people are the best- no race is better than any other. it just means that historically white majority countries  have a hand in most of the world’s money. Globally there are for more “Asian” races than white peoples. 

Sweet Olive

Cultural appropriation as a concept exists only in the USA.

Like, culture has always evolved taking (stealing) from other cultures, and it always will and there's nothing wrong or immoral with it. Minority or not, sorry.

My culture doesn't belong to me. They can take it and do whatever they want with it and hopefully something new will be born out of it. Hopefully they'll be respectful, maybe they won't be.

I do believe in the free movement of cultures.

Archived