💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Millie Bobby Brown deletes her social media because of homophobic memes

NewYorkCity

Featured Posts

Oriane

I think there's a misunderstanding from some people here. What's funny here is the jokes themselves (well, some of them, some others are meh.

But this one for example :

DfQ1uZtUcAE6ko0.jpg

That's funny because you don't expect the ending, it's a parody of the famous quote by Morgan Freeman.

That one too :

DfTwXFXVMAAOGQ0.jpg

Pretty self-explanatory, obviously fake so it's funny.

Now if you don't appreciate dark humor, too bad for you.

What's NOT funny is the fact that these jokes have been associated with Millie. People who see these memes may think it actually depicts her thoughts. Even if the memes themselves are obviously fake, it could indicate that she has shown homophobic behaviour and the memes are just a way to mock her. It's like the Demi thing, people have made fat jokes because of something she allegedly said.

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
avalon x
17 minutes ago, NewYorkCity said:

no, delete it fat didn’t make it ok to call fat a person. Wtf. If you say that you are saying it in the context of a meme and not trying to hurt anyone. If I go out and say to someone without context: DELETE IT FAT!! No one would think it is ok. And no one thinks that Demi is a body shaming person because of that meme. 

"If you say that you are saying it in the context of a meme" which is exactly makes people think it's okay and normal. And you would be saying something hurtful as a joke regardless of the context or intent.

and wtf x10000000 if you think that after this meme people from LGBT community and others will be laughing at a mass shooting like the Pulse one like: OMG HAHAHA HAVE YOU SEEN THAT!!!??! THEY JUST KILLED 20 GAYS TODAY LMAO I AM LAUGHING SO HARD THIS REMINDS ME OF THE MILLIE MEME LOLOLOLOLOL IT IS FUNNY THAT THEY DIED BECAUSE THE MEME MADE IT FUNNY TO GET GAYS KILLED LMAO 

Lets not. It is stupid to think that.

:ladyhaha: Is it not possible for you guys to debate without putting words in other people's mouths and calling other people stupid or dumb? No need to exaggerate and make stuff up.

Fyi, some variations of the meme actually are making fun of deaths in the LGBT community. But I don't expect anyone defending the meme to realize that. (not being shady)

Look, the same thing happened with N word. It was offensive, it was racist. It still is. But black people made it theirs. And they use it. They took the power of that word for them and took it away from racists. And that doesn’t make it right for people to use it in a racist way.

This isn't exactly the same though. They didn't make a viral meme that everyone from and not from the race is latching on to. And like you said only people in their community are saying the N word (which is not the case here).

"And that doesn’t make it right for people to use it in a racist way." But it's not right for anyone to say it as a joke either. That's the whole point of my posts that people are joking and making light of hate speech/crime.

Also just because the same thing happened with the N word, doesn't make it a good thing and it sure as hell doesn't make normalizing other slurs or hate speech acceptable.

Anyway, let's just agree we won't see eye to eye and call it a day. Thanks for conveniently ignoring the last two paragraphs of my previous post. :ohwell: Ciao!

NewYorkCity
31 minutes ago, JourneyToAvalon said:

"If you say that you are saying it in the context of a meme" which is exactly makes people think it's okay and normal. And you would be saying something hurtful as a joke regardless of the context or intent.

:ladyhaha: Is it not possible for you guys to debate without putting words in other people's mouths and calling other people stupid or dumb? No need to exaggerate and make stuff up.

Fyi, some variations of the meme actually are making fun of deaths in the LGBT community. But I don't expect anyone defending the meme to realize that. (not being shady)

This isn't exactly the same though. They didn't make a viral meme that everyone from and not from the race is latching on to. And like you said only people in their community are saying the N word (which is not the case here).

"And that doesn’t make it right for people to use it in a racist way." But it's not right for anyone to say it as a joke either. That's the whole point of my posts that people are joking and making light of hate speech/crime.

Also just because the same thing happened with the N word, doesn't make it a good thing and it sure as hell doesn't make normalizing other slurs or hate speech acceptable.

Anyway, let's just agree we won't see eye to eye and call it a day. Thanks for conveniently ignoring the last two paragraphs of my previous post. :ohwell: Ciao!

I didn’t call you stupid, don’t be so sensitive. 

“And you are saying something hurtful as a joke”. That’s the point. Something hurtful became something funny and stoped being hurtful (in certain context). What’s wrong with that? 

They are not making fun of death people in the LGBT community. There is one thing called dark humor, you get it or you don’t, that’s it. But it is as valid as a joke about farting, which for me isn’t funny. Black humor requires a lot more.

https://www.google.es/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/dark-humor-seems-to-be-a-sign-of-intelligence-2017-1

Again, you can watch a TV show like Family Guy and see jokes about terrorism, black people, Gay people, white straights, violence, Jews and holocaust, Muslims, poor people, working kids in Asia, sex assault... and does it mean they support all that? Lol no. 

You can like it or not. But you can’t act morally superior to anyone because they enjoy this kind of humor and laugh at those jokes. 

The N word is not about memes, it is about using something that goes against you and making it yours. I, by no way, was trying to put the memes and this in the same category. I was just comparing situations of what I stated before. 

avalon x
34 minutes ago, NewYorkCity said:

I didn’t call you stupid, don’t be so sensitive. 

“And you are saying something hurtful as a joke”. That’s the point. Something hurtful became something funny and stoped being hurtful (in certain context). What’s wrong with that? 

It didn't stop being hurtful to those who are actually fat, that's my whole point. But I'm not trying to push my opinions about it on you so it's okay if you don't feel the same way.

They are not making fun of death people in the LGBT community. There is one thing called dark humor, you get it or you don’t, that’s it. But it is as valid as a joke about farting, which for me isn’t funny. Black humor requires a lot more.

https://www.google.es/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/dark-humor-seems-to-be-a-sign-of-intelligence-2017-1

Comparing fart jokes to jokes about murder. :ladyhaha: Let's just stop right here. The title "black humor" doesn't automatically make every joke right no matter WHO gets it. A joke can be equally funny and wrong at the same time. That's what I've been trying to say all along. Some people will find offense to it, some people won't.

Again, you can watch a TV show like Family Guy and see jokes about terrorism, black people, Gay people, white straights, violence, Jews and holocaust, Muslims, poor people, working kids in Asia, sex assault... and does it mean they support all that? Lol no. 

Where did you even bring the word "support" from? :saladga: That's not remotely what normalizing means.

You can like it or not. But you can’t act morally superior to anyone because they enjoy this kind of humor and laugh at those jokes. 

The N word is not about memes, it is about using something that goes against you and making it yours. I, by no way, was trying to put the memes and this in the same category. I was just comparing situations of what I stated before. 

I have tried to be nothing but polite and civil. If you feel attacked or inferior, that's not my fault. :ladyhaha: You can't pile me up with those who have and I even mentioned I laughed at the meme so half of this doesn't even apply to me.

giskardsb
7 hours ago, Gov Hooka said:

I think it’s hilarious but I see the fault in the this particular instance. A lot of you guys would not be fun at a dinner party :oops:

If the dinner party involved attributing hateful comments to a 14 year old girl in the corner in the name of “jokes”, when she was nothing like that and hated it, yeah, I would not be fun. 

This is a well reasoned article that explores both sides

https://www.vox.com/2018/6/14/17461458/millie-bobby-brown-homophobic-meme

lairofhk
On 6/13/2018 at 3:52 PM, StarlightSeiya said:

Lmaoo it was fun while it lasted. I thought they were pretty funny and knew they were fake.

Joking about running over gay people is pretty funny? That's just sick honestly.

lairofhk
On 6/14/2018 at 1:56 PM, NewYorkCity said:

The fact that some of you act morally superior because you don’t find it funny :ladyhaha:

Grow up. 

There are different kinds of humor, different kinds of jokes. People can or can’t take them. That’s it.

damn, some of your brains would explode if you saw a TV show like Family Guy :toofunny:

What kind of person finds the idea of mowing down gay people with a car funny? Can you even call that a joke? LGBT people face brutality all over the world and hate crimes nowadays are happening everywhere. As a gay person myself I'm appalled at some of you for thinking this is humorous. It doesn't even matter that it was fake. It's simply in VERY bad taste. You think there weren't tons of people who saw these memes and were like, "f*ck yea, kill them fag*gots" ? That's the real danger here. 

NewYorkCity
1 minute ago, lairofhk said:

What kind of person finds the idea of mowing down gay people with a car funny? Can you even call that a joke? LGBT people face brutality all over the world and hate crimes nowadays are happening everywhere. As a gay person myself I'm appalled at some of you for thinking this is humorous. It doesn't even matter that it was fake. It's simply in VERY bad taste. You think there weren't tons of people who saw these memes and were like, "f*ck yea, kill them fag*gots" ? That's the real danger here. 

9 hours ago, NewYorkCity said:

lairofhk
2 minutes ago, NewYorkCity said:

Don't give me that "i like dark humor so I'm intelligent crap." I like dark humor myself but that's not even a direct response to what I said. So, where do you draw the line then? Is there a line? When does something stop being humorous to you, and become offensive? Because you should be able to draw the line somewhere. 

NewYorkCity
8 hours ago, JourneyToAvalon said:

It didn't stop being hurtful to those who are actually fat, that's my whole point. But I'm not trying to push my opinions about it on you so it's okay if you don't feel the same way.

Comparing fart jokes to jokes about murder. :ladyhaha: Let's just stop right here. The title "black humor" doesn't automatically make every joke right no matter WHO gets it. A joke can be equally funny and wrong at the same time. That's what I've been trying to say all along. Some people will find offense to it, some people won't.

Where did you even bring the word "support" from? :saladga: That's not remotely what normalizing means.

I have tried to be nothing but polite and civil. If you feel attacked or inferior, that's not my fault. :ladyhaha: You can't pile me up with those who have and I even mentioned I laughed at the meme so half of this doesn't even apply to me.

1. Again, depends on the context of use. 

2. Did I compare both? Lol I said that it is a joke, and the other one too. I don’t find a farting joke funny and doesn’t make me laugh. But most of the Millie ones made me laugh. And btw, “the title black humor doesn’t make every joke right”... and who does? You? You are the one who decides what can be done in humor and what can’t be done? (Don’t take every YOU I use as personal, I talk in general). If there are people who find it funny, then it is a joke. Just like I don’t find certain jokes funny and they still are jokes.

3. Normalizing implies support. If you think that a joke about terrorism on Family Guy will make people not care about it when a terrorist attack happens... well.

4. Oh believe me, I don’t feel attacked and couldn’t feel more relaxed, inferior? Nope. I don’t feel inferior to anyone. But I don’t feel superior either (something that a lot of people in this thread, who I would like to call “the jokes police” in reference to Gaga and Adam Levine :vegas:, can’t relate). 

NewYorkCity
1 minute ago, lairofhk said:

Don't give me that "i like dark humor so I'm intelligent crap." I like dark humor myself but that's not even a direct response to what I said. So, where do you draw the line then? Is there a line? When does something stop being humorous to you, and become offensive? Because you should be able to draw the line somewhere. 

I don’t draw any line. Just because I am no one to draw a line. I can draw a line for myself, and that line is on me and my personal taste. But I am not a moral judge to decide what jokes are not right if some people find them funny. 

You say you like dark humor. Ok let’s say that you find a joke about someone with cancer funny (idk it is an example), so... you don’t like these jokes because it offends you as an LGBT member... dark humor is offensive, so I guess you must find something funny that goes against a community. Maybe black people, or women, or maybe musilms... so, where do you draw the line? If it offends my community  it is not right but it is funny when it offends others? Wouldn’t some people with cancer be offended by that joke you like? 

Gov Hooka
9 hours ago, giskardsb said:

If the dinner party involved attributing hateful comments to a 14 year old girl in the corner in the name of “jokes”, when she was nothing like that and hated it, yeah, I would not be fun. 

This is a well reasoned article that explores both sides

https://www.vox.com/2018/6/14/17461458/millie-bobby-brown-homophobic-meme

Oh god *facepalm* cool :ohwell:

giskardsb
54 minutes ago, Gov Hooka said:

Oh god *facepalm* cool :ohwell:

Well hey, pardon me for actually giving a **** how this causes collateral damage to an innocent person. 

avalon x
9 hours ago, NewYorkCity said:

1. Again, depends on the context of use. 

2. Did I compare both? Lol I said that it is a joke, and the other one too. I don’t find a farting joke funny and doesn’t make me laugh. But most of the Millie ones made me laugh. And btw, “the title black humor doesn’t make every joke right”... and who does? You? You are the one who decides what can be done in humor and what can’t be done? (Don’t take every YOU I use as personal, I talk in general). If there are people who find it funny, then it is a joke. Just like I don’t find certain jokes funny and they still are jokes.

3. Normalizing implies support. If you think that a joke about terrorism on Family Guy will make people not care about it when a terrorist attack happens... well.

4. Oh believe me, I don’t feel attacked and couldn’t feel more relaxed, inferior? Nope. I don’t feel inferior to anyone. But I don’t feel superior either (something that a lot of people in this thread, who I would like to call “the jokes police” in reference to Gaga and Adam Levine :vegas:, can’t relate). 

2. You shouldn't have brought it up then. You keep bringing things up and say I'm not comparing them but then why even mention them in the first place if the same principles don't even apply? (Rhetorical question, I'm not really bothered at this point. :ladyhaha: )

"You are the one who decides what can be done in humor and what can’t be done?"

That's like saying every person decides if murdering an innocent person is wrong and some people can just decide that it's okay, (my opinion). But I did say that some people will find offense to it and some won't, not my fault if you keep ignoring parts of my posts and keep endlessly debating.

3. Normalizing implies indifference. They won't if it's happening to an area not near them (or in another country) and they'll probably find it funny because of that scene from family guy.

Normalizing doesn't mean people won't give a **** if ISIS invades their country. :ladyhaha: Goddamn.

4. And again, you shouldn't have quoted me specially and said that then. :ladyhaha: 

One post -"You're acting superior!"

The next post - "But I'm not feeling inferior!"

logic. :applause: 

If having some empathy for those who died equates to being "The jokes police" I would gladly wear it. :vegas: 

That'll be all from me, good day!

NewYorkCity
3 hours ago, JourneyToAvalon said:

2. You shouldn't have brought it up then. You keep bringing things up and say I'm not comparing them but then why even mention them in the first place if the same principles don't even apply? (Rhetorical question, I'm not really bothered at this point. :ladyhaha: )

"You are the one who decides what can be done in humor and what can’t be done?"

That's like saying every person decides if murdering an innocent person is wrong and some people can just decide that it's okay, (my opinion). But I did say that some people will find offense to it and some won't, not my fault if you keep ignoring parts of my posts and keep endlessly debating.

3. Normalizing implies indifference. They won't if it's happening to an area not near them (or in another country) and they'll probably find it funny because of that scene from family guy.

Normalizing doesn't mean people won't give a **** if ISIS invades their country. :ladyhaha: Goddamn.

4. And again, you shouldn't have quoted me specially and said that then. :ladyhaha: 

One post -"You're acting superior!"

The next post - "But I'm not feeling inferior!"

logic. :applause: 

If having some empathy for those who died equates to being "The jokes police" I would gladly wear it. :vegas: 

That'll be all from me, good day!

2. I mean, your debate level is going down if you can’t understand that I can compare two jokes to explain that I find some funny and I don’t find the other funny. Even if those jokes have nothing to do with each other. It is not about that lol it is about people with different tastes. Looks like You are missing the point but... 

“It is like saying every person decides if murdering an innocent person is ok” Now, that’s a stupid comparation. LMAO. Me comparing two different kind of jokes is wrong and now you are comparing this to murder. Let me laugh at this.

3. A few posts before I said: so now people when gays are killed are going to be like: OMG HAHAHAHA THATS SO FUNNY IT REMINDS ME OF THAT MILLIE MEME. And how thinking that is stupid.

read what you replied. Now read what you just wrote. 

Again, it is stupid to think that because of these jokes people are going to be ok with this happening. Because, guess what? Dark humor was not invented with this meme. And I don’t see people finding war, violence, etc funny. I have been laughing at dark humor forever and I don’t find it funny when those things happen. Instead... you know what? When a massive shooting happens in US you get a thread with 29363 pages. But let’s post a thread about Siria and let’s see how many of these people who don’t like these memes reply. Yeah, I have seen it before here. 

4. The fact that someone is  acting superior doesn’t mean that that makes me feel inferior, what’s so hard to understand about that? Oh and  I quoted you because you posted an article and I didn’t agree with it so I wanted to give my opinion. You know, what a forum is about. 

Oh, and when did you read my mind and went to the conclusion that I don’t feel empathy for people who died? 

Maybe I just can feel bad for real people when they die and I can understand when a joke is not to make fun of dead people. Because, and this is the hard part to understand, these jokes are not making fun of gays and violence against gays. 

Have a good day you too.

Archived