Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

St. Vincent - Fast Slow Disco

bowie1986

Featured Posts

bowie1986

This is the BOP OTY. 

Queen St.V has adapted her ballad with strings, "Slow Disco", into a "South Beach...Gay Disco" version. Not only is it an absolute banger, but the song is unmistakably queer. "Slip my hand, from your hand / leave you dancing with a ghost" not only addresses the often ephemeral nature of queer love (whether by choice or other reasons), but it also addresses the tradition in literature of ghosts as an inherently queer presence, or the representation of something that is other or absent.

All of that aside, it GOES. 

I personally prefer the live version:

But here's the single as well:

Damon

YES

this song

this album

this woman

deserve EVERYTHING in the universe :giveup: the original version was great BUT THIS REMIX omg

DON'T IT BEAT A SLOW DANCE TO DEAAAATH

... and now i just sit in silence.

tomsches
46 minutes ago, bowie1986 said:

This is the BOP OTY. 

Queen St.V has adapted her ballad with strings, "Slow Disco", into a "South Beach...Gay Disco" version.

How can a musical genre have a sexual orientation :oprah:

whore
55 minutes ago, bowie1986 said:

"Slip my hand, from your hand / leave you dancing with a ghost" not only addresses the often ephemeral nature of queer love (whether by choice or other reasons), but it also addresses the tradition in literature of ghosts as an inherently queer presence, or the representation of something that is other or absent.

Can someone please explain this better? :oprah:

Catterson
2 minutes ago, Possibly Maybe said:

Honestly, this is a complete over-analyzation. To each their own. 

bowie1986
26 minutes ago, Possibly Maybe said:

The ghost can be interpreted a lot of different ways-- but St.Vincent has expressly acknowledged that this song is, in some sense, grappling with queer themes. It's in her existence as a queer person, it's in her nomenclature of "south beach" or "gay disco" as the way in which she's shifted the genre of the track.

So, there's an embedded queer texture because a) St. Vincent, b) she said so, and c) the sound does pull from Disco / Dance music that is championed by queer audiences and played in queer spaces.

but the GHOST! The ghost has historically been a device for queering texts. Before queerness was acceptable in the open, artists, authors, and readers had to dig for queer interpretations, as they weren't given outright--afterall, to be queer was to be pathological which resulted in torturous therapies, jail time, death, etc. WE ALL KNOW THIS on GGD.

The ghost was a major site for these readings and these transgressions. The ghost represented something that haunts, the absence of something in real life, something that was "other"-- in other words, the spectral plane can be read as encapsulating that which couldn't exist in real life. So to invoke the ghost adds another layer to a queer reading!! 

This doesn't have to be what the song is about, and you don't have to think of it this way to enjoy it-- but it makes the song more enjoyable for me and I thought it might add a layer of meaning for GGD audiences !

bowie1986
45 minutes ago, tomsches said:

How can a musical genre have a sexual orientation :oprah:

I'm not sure what she meant by Gay Disco-- I'm assuming she was referring to a space. These spaces have definitely shaped culture and music, so maybe it is safe to call it a genre/sub-genre, as well. 

Archived