💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
charts

Why half of Mariah's singles didn't chart?

Phoebe Buffay

Featured Posts

Phoebe Buffay

I have a question. I know that she has 18 #1s (who doesn't :emma:), but most of her singles in the 90s or early 00s didn't even chart (The Roof, Breakdown, Butterfly, Open Arms, Forever, Underneath the Stars, Against All Odds, Can't Take That Away, Bringin on the Heartbreak...). Was she banned on the radio like Brit and Madge were too or the reason is something else? :emma:

Yuuri
2 minutes ago, EvilRegal said:

I have a question. I know that she has 18 #1s (who doesn't :emma:), but most of her singles in the 90s or early 00s didn't even chart (The Roof, Breakdown, Butterfly, Open Arms, Forever, Underneath the Stars, Against All Odds, Can't Take That Away, Bringin on the Heartbreak...). Was she banned on the radio like Brit and Madge were too or the reason is something else? :emma:

Her tracks were too skinny to be played.:gaycat:

MeloArtDramaPop

Now when you look at gagas singles her chart peak to number of singles ratio is amazing, All of her singles charted, so thats an achievement

Yuuri
1 minute ago, MeloArtDramaPop said:

Now when you look at gagas singles her chart peak to number of singles ratio is amazing, All of her singles charted, so thats an achievement

3-Way didn't debut on the Hot 100.:triggered:

MeloArtDramaPop
1 minute ago, Sharyu said:

3-Way didn't debut on the Hot 100.:triggered:

I didnt even know that was a single, thought it was a parody or smth

BeIIadonna
2 minutes ago, MeloArtDramaPop said:

Why do we keep bringing up Gaga in other artist threads :oprah: I get that it's a Gaga forum and all, but we should at least be able to talk about other artists without making it about Gaga as well

TheRoof

there was an old  rule where you need to make a physical release to be able to chart in the hot 100 , that's why "Don't Speak" by No Doubt and "Into The Groove" by Madonna didn't charted for example.

MeloArtDramaPop
1 minute ago, MonsterGaga5555 said:

Why do we keep bringing up Gaga in other artist threads :oprah: I get that it's a Gaga forum and all, but we should at least be able to talk about other artists without making it about Gaga as well

I meant no offense, just surprised and wanted to make an observation. Noted

BeIIadonna
1 minute ago, MeloArtDramaPop said:

I meant no offense, just surprised and wanted to make an observation. Noted

Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude :rip: I just see her mentioned in a lot of threads about other artists

MeloArtDramaPop
Just now, MonsterGaga5555 said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude :rip: I just see her mentioned in a lot of threads about other artists

It’s ok I get it:staymad:

Fish

The BBH100 is also limited in the insight it gives on an artist's success. Britney is the best example.

Gypsy Life

75% of her #1 singles reached #1 thanks to radio payola, so I'm assuming the ones that didn't chart are the ones that weren't payola'd.

DimitrisARTPOP
29 minutes ago, EvilRegal said:

The Roof, Breakdown, Butterfly, Open Arms, Forever, Underneath the Stars, Against All Odds, Can't Take That Away, Bringin on the Heartbreak

Open Arms was international single (not US)
Forever was only an airplay single
Underneath the Stars had limited number of pressings
Butterfly didn't have any physical release in the US, so it couldn't chart
The Roof had a limited release only in Europe
Breakdown was limited (I think it wasn't any physical release in the US)
Against All Odds was an international single (was #1 in the UK and Ireland)
Can't Take That Away was limited and a double A side with Crybaby
Bringin' On The Heartbreak was the 3d single from Charmbracelet, it was released almost a year after the album released and didn't have any promo in the US

Twitter

51 minutes ago, EvilRegal said:

Was she banned on the radio like Brit and Madge were too or the reason is something else? :emma:

How does someone get banned from radioplay? :oprah:

Phoebe Buffay
2 minutes ago, KING said:

How does someone get banned from radioplay? :oprah:

Madge was banned from radio because of the whole American Life era.

Britney got banned on radio from late 2001 because ClearChannel asked Jive to let them be a sponsor for the Dream Within A Dream Tour and Jive told them they were going with AEG. ClearChannel got pissed off and banned Britney from being played on the radio in retaliation. This lasted from 2001 to 2003, meaning that the singles from Overprotected to Me Against The Music weren't allowed to be played. Slave was getting airplay, but was blacklisted halfway through, which is why it stopped rising on the Billboard Charts and peaked at #27. 

Spoiler

Taken from ATRL.

Archived