Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

What Happened to ARTISTIC Male Stars?

Anveeroy

Featured Posts

Anveeroy

There used to be male stars who dominated the music industry, not for their songs, but also their artistic vision. Like Prince, David Bowie, Freddie Mercury, Micheal Jackson, Elton John. What happened now? Since 00's there are not single male stars who broke the barriers. Most likely all the female stars created, refurbished and shaped the music industry with art. I might sound a little bit paranoid, so enlighten me if I am saying anything wrong. 

N.B: Justin Timberlake's discography is interesting, but his persona isn't.  

Stream Kylie-Janet Discographies!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Economy

Since the late 90s there's this sub type of homophobia that guys have to act in a specific way or its gay and it makes it hard for male artists to go outside a certain spectrum and still be popular

People complain about double standards for female artists but male artists have them too just in different aspects

But I think as homophobia in general slowly disappears, this thing of "your not a man of you don't act this way" should slowly disappear too!

Edit: I know that homophobia before late 90s was even worse over-all but im talking specifically about men acting in a specific way to be considered normal or cool. 

Before homophobia was worse in general but u had to actually do something gay to be called gay. In the 90s this stupid thing started that many things were connected to gayness even if it didn't really have anything to do with it. In that sense it's been worse in the last 20 years

Phoebe Buffay

Men aren't that artistic as women are. The TRUE last male artist was MJ. Now it's all about the hits and sales. Just look at the 'newbies' in the music industry. They are everything but artists, even 80% of them are talentless. Back then art was more appreciated, hence why there aren't many artists now. :shrug:

The Bling
3 minutes ago, Anveeroy said:

There used to be male stars who dominated the music industry, not for their songs, but also their artistic vision. Like Prince, David Bowie, Freddie Mercury, Micheal Jackson, Elton John. What happened now? Since 00's there are not single male stars who broke the barriers. Most likely all the female stars created, refurbished and shaped the music industry with art. I might sound a little bit paranoid, so enlighten me if I am saying anything wrong. 

N.B: Justin Timberlake's discography is interesting, but his persona isn't.  

tenor.gif?itemid=10875831

Like literally every word you said

Yet men are the ones ruling right now and women are the ones "that have to step up" :poot:

Sigmund Freud, analyze this

ryanripley

i've been thinking this too

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

SolidSnake

What happened is the music industry became more corporate, it became more profitable and easier to push younger women to the forefront because teenagers would buy their album and attend their concerts in droves. The entire upper levels of the music industry is now targeted specifically towards teens. The radio has also become less friendly to music that seeks to change that. Hell the case in point is when they put a f**king beat on that hunger games song a few years ago. When the industry you are in seeks to murder real talent (instrument and singing wise) and promote autotune using divas these things happen.

KatieJudasGaga4
4 minutes ago, The Bling said:

tenor.gif?itemid=10875831

Like literally every word you said

Yet men are the ones ruling right now and women are the ones "that have to step up" :poot:

#SCAMMYS

rumours

With the 2000s and 2010s, male hip hop really began to truly dominate the charts (even more so than in the 90s). It really changed popular music and what consumers wanted to listen to. Look at streaming numbers for artists like Drake for example.

I guess it really just depends on how you define “art”, though.  

PoshLife
6 minutes ago, Economy said:

Since the late 90s there's this sub type of homophobia that guys have to act in a specific way or its gay and it makes it hard for male artists to go outside a certain spectrum and still be popular

People complain about double standards for female artists but male artists have them too just in different aspects

But I think as homophobia in general slowly disappears, this thing of "your not a man of you don't act this way" should slowly disappear too!

Edit: I know that homophobia before late 90s was even worse over-all but im talking specifically about men acting in a specific way to be considered normal or cool. 

Before homophobia was worse in general but u had to actually do something gay to be called gay. In the 90s this stupid thing started that many things were connected to gayness even if it didn't really have anything to do with it. In that sense it's been worse in the last 20 years

I think you make a really good point. Toxic masculinity has made it so guys don't want to be seen as "creative" or "artistic" or anything that seems like a more feminine trait. So they just stand there with their guitar or whatever, boring af

SolidSnake
10 minutes ago, Economy said:

Calling BS on this one, today its easier than EVER to do that. When Bowie was popular homophobia was much more prevalent in society and if you know it, it defeats the purpose of this comment and no you didnt it was so much worse back in the day. Randolph Scott and Cary Grant couldnt even hang out together at their house without being called gay in the 50s.

Reality

I think it relates back to how masculinity can be perceived today. Now, while there is still a lot of homophobia and negative stigmas around men who may be more flamboyant, it certainly has gotten better in the United States (and other western countries) compared to times like the 60s-80s. I think a part of why there were a lot more extravagant and showy male artists back then was because it was taboo. People like David Bowie and Elton John broke barriers and provided a voice for the LGBTQ community, especially in a time where they were shunned for doing so.

Now, while there is still a lot of homophobia and negative stigmas, I think people have become more accepting of more flamboyant men. It may not be as "shocking" or "thrilling" as it once was, which is why people aren't so inclined to be shocked or impressed by it.

🖤👹

MaryJaneHolland
1 minute ago, KinneyUnderYou said:

They're waiting for my triumphant debut. :vegas:

@JGD @MaryJaneHolland @Bradley Haus of Gaga who? Haus of Mo is coming. :poot:

I have my set prepared, you just catch Mr. Jack and we can film that video :vegas:

robboadam

Childish Gambino, Kendrick Lamar, Kanye West, Chance the Rapper, Frank Ocean, Sampha, The Weeknd......

......all say ‘hi’.

HomoWithFomo
19 minutes ago, SolidSnake said:

Omg I femember this remix coming out :messga: 

Complete mess:madge:

Archived