💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Why are male artists streamed much more than females in the USA?

ARTPOP GAGA

Featured Posts

Chris Evans
22 minutes ago, ARTPOP GAGA said:

why does the US like urban music so much? Please tell me. I simple don't get why Europe loves pop music but the US is the opposite.

it shifted a few years ago and has almost completely turned to hip hop- even so there hasn't been any great pop songs in so long

the closest pop songs we have now have an electronic mix

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bradley
36 minutes ago, ARTPOP GAGA said:

Gaga last's #1 was in February 2011....

At least The Cure and Million Reasons were both platinum.

misunderstood

:air:

"I'd rather be poor and happy, than rich and alone"

RadioIsOurs

Hip hop culture is taking over society, and it's definitely not the cultured part of it...

RudraCNG

IMO, boys tend to be more reluctant to listen to female singers while girls don't have problems listening both male&female artists.

freebit

To me, I think that streaming has just exposed what people actually listen to. It also exposes the type of sexist mindset of the world we're living in. Rap is the new Rock. It's progressive when it actually has some social commentary, but don't get it twisted: it can be just as misogynistic as rock was, and is; its success is supported by young men & often older men wanting to feel young. I think many rappers that are revered (Kanye, Kendrick, Gambino etc.) are praised for their commentary on race while their misogyny is overlooked and explained away. 

I find that these days, a woman can only go #1 on the Hot 100 (and be considered ~cool~) if they express themselves in a way that is tinged with a bit of masculine type of feeling & approval (think Rihanna & Cardi B in general), yet also have a typical sexy, feminine image. It's like female action movie heroines who look hot, but act in a way that hetero men can understand. It also helps when these artists have a male co-sign or feature. I'm not saying Rihanna & Cardi B are sexist plants AT ALL & I actually like them & they are feminists, it's just that they are male-approved, and that helps.

RAMROD

Because most of them, if not all, are doing pop music. Pop music is low brow for many people since forever. And the fact pop music main market are little kids and pre-teens just doesn't help either. That's like when someone orders kids meal in restaurant when they are not kids anymore, nobody cares that you actually enjoy the said kids meals, you will be meet with prejudice all the same. And most people don't wanna deal with that.

And those who doesn't do pop are well favored but they are not as mainstream as the pop girls so there are no much coverage. You know, indie girls like Lana, Florence, and Marina and so on. But doesn't mean they are not famous.

For example, ABBA only got one #1 hit in here, but they are famous all the same.

(ïŸ‰â—•ăƒźâ—•)✧*: unknown.. despair.. a lost (*Ž艞*) ♡♡♡

misunderstood
7 minutes ago, freebit said:

To me, I think that streaming has just exposed what people actually listen to. It also exposes the type of sexist mindset of the world we're living in. Rap is the new Rock. It's progressive when it actually has some social commentary, but don't get it twisted: it can be just as misogynistic as rock was, and is; its success is supported by young men & often older men wanting to feel young. I think many rappers that are revered (Kanye, Kendrick, Gambino etc.) are praised for their commentary on race while their misogyny is overlooked and explained away. 

I find that these days, a woman can only go #1 on the Hot 100 (and be considered ~cool~) if they express themselves in a way that is tinged with a bit of masculine type of feeling & approval (think Rihanna & Cardi B in general), yet also have a typical sexy, feminine image. It's like female action movie heroines who look hot, but act in a way that hetero men can understand. It also helps when these artists have a male co-sign or feature. I'm not saying Rihanna & Cardi B are sexist plants AT ALL & I actually like them & they are feminists, it's just that they are male-approved, and that helps.

It's so sad that people actually think this...

freebit
3 minutes ago, misunderstood said:

It's so sad that people actually think this...

As in think what I posted, or my opinion?

misunderstood
1 minute ago, freebit said:

As in think what I posted, or my opinion?

What you posted. It makes me sad that some people are so delusional to the point that they think just because their favorite genre isn't popular anymore, it's because of sexism. :toofunny:

ARTPOP GAGA
29 minutes ago, RadioIsOurs said:

Hip hop culture is taking over society, and it's definitely not the cultured part of it...

sad. I prefer pop culture...

freebit
Just now, misunderstood said:

What you posted. It makes me sad that some people are so delusional to the point that they think just because their favorite genre isn't popular anymore, it's because of sexism. :toofunny:

Do you think it's just coincidental that rap, and now the rap ruled streaming charts, are male dominated? I'm not some pop forum user who hates the genre (I've listened to it all my life, the first CD I ever owned was The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill) and simply dreams for the return of 2011 or 1999. These are simply my observations.

misunderstood
Just now, freebit said:

Do you think it's just coincidental that rap, and now the rap ruled streaming charts, are male dominated? I'm not some pop forum user who hates the genre (I've listened to it all my life, the first CD I ever owned was The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill) and simply dreams for the return of 2011 or 1999. These are simply my observations.

Times change...and if what you were saying was true then absolutely no female of any genre would be on the charts right now...popular music changes all the time, it just so happens that rap (which happens to be more dominated by males) is that popular genre right now... :shrug:

tomsches

because young people don't listen to individual artists anymore and just stream whatever playlist pops up on spotify. Also, young teenagers listen a lot to trap and hip hop music nowadays and it's mostly male artists that make this type of music. 

Archived