💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Albums that Suprised You?

rumours

Featured Posts

rumours

I was thinking back to the first time I listened to a Joni Mitchell album ("Blue") and had an immediate emotional connection with the album. For me, it's rare to have an instantaneous connection with an album like that, and it was a HUGE surprise for me.

tumblr_omapxwM6ve1skwcz3o1_500.gif

Therefore, I was wondering the following: when have you been positively surprised when you first listened to an album? Have you ever had an immediate connection to an album that you weren't expecting?

Feel free to include multiple examples if you'd like. :)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
culturalbaptism

Beautiful Trauma. The album is really enjoyable. I'm a huge P!nk stan and I wasn't expecting anything at all with that album.

Judas is coming. Let the cultural baptism begin.

ryanripley

this is a big one tbh (i think you'll like it)

i heard one of the songs in a playlist and i liked it so i thought i'd give the whole album a try and wow, it's so relaxing :wub: 

another album was this one:

it was just great from start to finish and i don't why i didn't expect it to be. i think it's cus i read it was Alt Country on amazon and i was like :vegas: but i stanned it anyway

a couple more that took me by surprise and made me a fan include Dangerous Woman, Morning Phase, Turn Blue, Drones and War And Leisure

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

That J

Back To Black by Amy Winehouse did that for me. Since most know about that album, I'll share another. 

I will never forget the day I heard Fiona Apple's When The Pawn album. Noticed the cd in a friend of a friends cd holder and asked if it was any good. He said he couldnt get into it and I could have it. Later, I would put it in on the way home which would take an hour. Pressed play and soaked in the best album I had ever heard to that point. Never saw that guy again but I sure do thank him. 

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw

Sepsami

Anything Charli XCX has done since her big breakthrough, I thought of her as just a lucky one-hit wonder at first but realised quickly she's a great songwriter and perfected pop :diane: 

Maleficent

Madonna's Ray of Light

Lana's Ultraviolence 

Alanis Morissete's Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie

calmar

Never a whole album, no. The closest perhaps is Lemonade, by Beyoncé, but in that instance I watched the whole visual album, all the way through without stopping, consciously choosing to examine it critically. As a casual listener, esp. of older work, none of it has ever blown me away.

俺の勝利は揺るぎない

SWhaaaat

EMOTION by Carly Rae Jepsen really suprised me, I always thought her as this bubbly pop girl that sings call me maybe and don't have any interesting songs but this album really proved me wrong

LOVE YOURSELF : TEAR by BTS was another shocker too.

Revival by Selena Gomez

KinneyUnderYou

@GaGaSwift I don't know if you're going to agree with me, but Reputation surprised the hell out of me.

With the release of "Look What You Made Me Do", I was completely surprised by the dark visuals, lyrics, and sounds. Then, "...Ready For It?" was released a week later, and I did not expect Taylor Swift rapping in a song. :emma: I ended up repeating the songs, and I never got bored of them. I got obsessed with the snake imagery, and I started to love throwing shade at friends who backstabbed me. Coincidentally, they backstabbed me around the album release. The snake imagery was perfect at that time. "New Year's Day" is one of my favorite Taylor songs of all time, because I related to the lyrics by looking forward to graduation day. I cried every time listening to the song, because I knew I was going to miss my friends, that I like to call my second family, so much. The song inspired me to write a song called "Graduation Day", and title my album Graduation:giveup:

taylor-swift-reputation.jpg?crop=focalpo

@Bradley Joanne is another answer of mine.

"Perfect Illusion" is one of my favorite Gaga songs of all time. I listened to the premiere on iHeart Radio chatting with everyone in the Gaga Daily chat server. It was a wonderful time, and I remember being so shocked. I recorded my reaction, but I lost the video. I teared up, because I missed her so voice so much. The song was everything I wanted it to be; loud, energetic, and crazy. "A-YO"'s release convinced me that Gaga truly changed into a different sound that I didn't know I adored and loved. "John Wayne" and "Angel Down" surprised me the most. Joanne is my favorite Gaga era that I experienced. Everything was unexpected. :giveup:

landscape-1475745795-lady-gaga-joanne-01

ssslyboy
36 minutes ago, That J said:

Back To Black by Amy Winehouse did that for me. Since most know about that album, I'll share another. 

I will never forget the day I heard Fiona Apple's When The Pawn album. Noticed the cd in a friend of a friends cd holder and asked if it was any good. He said he couldnt get into it and I could have it. Later, I would put it in on the way home which would take an hour. Pressed play and soaked in the best album I had ever heard to that point. Never saw that guy again but I sure do thank him. 

Yaaaaaaaas!  This album wasn't supposed to be this good.  I remember being like "Woah" when I heard it too!  She's one of my top five all time favs now.  :D 

MaryJaneHolland
6 minutes ago, KinneyUnderYou said:

and title my album Graduation:giveup:

My coins are ready :vegas: :vegas: :vegas: :vegas:

ssslyboy
22 minutes ago, Maleficent said:

Alanis Morissete's Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie

I was also surprised by this album.  She and Fiona both delivered unexpected gems of follow-up albums.

KinneyUnderYou
Just now, MaryJaneHolland said:

My coins are ready :vegas: :vegas: :vegas: :vegas:

Oh wow! :giveup:

@JGD helped me write the horniest song on the album. :poot: "Bed Head" is still on the album. I was thinking about Jack Falahee when writing it. :vegas:

That J
3 minutes ago, ssslyboy said:

Yaaaaaaaas!  This album wasn't supposed to be this good.  I remember being like "Woah" when I heard it too!  She's one of my top five all time favs now.  :D 

SAME!!!   Yay someone else gets it. The Idler Wheel is my fave album ever...like ever ever!  Sigh. So good.  

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw

Archived