Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
review

What Impact did Born This Way have on your life?

Chickens in Malibu

Featured Posts

Chickens in Malibu

In the memory of Born This Way release, let's have a serious discussion on how this album affected your lives.

I'll start with myself.

Before I start, parts of this will sound silly as I was 14 at the time.

At the time, I was 14 years or old or so, very confused about my life, my sexuality and my religion. I wasn't a big fan of Gaga yet, but I do remember being inspired by her Don't Ask Don't Tell speeches. I do remember though that I was a bit disturbed by her Alejandro Video (it was the last video she released before BTW).

When the song Born This Way came out, I felt that every lyric spoke directly to me, at time when I really needed it the most. It felt like I found the answers I was searching for in the song, that perhaps, it's God's will that I am Gay, and that it's no mistake. At the time, it wasn't that mainstream to promote LGBT rights. Born This Way was probably the first major song to do so. And to me I felt like my own cause was being championed, a song that talks about my personal struggle is N1 in  in many countries for several weeks. I felt that perhaps, people like me aren't as rejected as I thought they'd be. It gave me hope. Whenever I needed comfort and self-confidence I would listen to that song. It felt like an emotional cure.

When the album was released, I found myself in few other songs, specifically Hair and Marry The Night.

Hair felt like a song that spoke to me as well. At the time, my sense of fashion was a bit too much for my parents (not that it was too extravagant or anything like that, but it's just that they kept receiving complaints from school officials about my hair cut and the way I dress). Unfortunately, there were some strict officials in my school back then, that wouldn't tolerate hair cuts longer than the norm, or "too open neck" t-shirts or accessories or anything like that. So that was a source of conflict with my parents at times. And hair spoke directly to that, with lyrics like "Whenever I'm dressed cool my parents pick up a fight". And whenever I was annoyed by my parents in that regard, I would listen to that song to find comfort.

Also at the time, my school results weren't great, and I was even in danger of not passing to the next year, although I was having more fun than I should be, I started becoming concerned about my education future. "Marry The Night" to me was a success anthem, it was a song about picking up yourself, after a failure, and head right towards your goal, to achieve what you previously thought was unachievable. I found inspiration in the story of Gaga, which is told in Marry The Night. I saw similarities between her struggle to become a successful songwriter against all odds, and my struggle to pick up my pace, and secure my graduation with good grades, to go to a better university later. Lyrics like "I won't give up on my life", "I'm a soldier to my own emptiness, I'm a winner" gave me the strength to work harder and reverse what was more likely than success at the time, failure. 

Another song I loved was "The Queen". I felt it was a very powerful tribute from Gaga to her fans. It reflects on how she can be the brave queen we need her to be for us, to channel and champion our cause at risk of scrutiny and her own career failure. ("This is my chance to release and be brave for you, you'll see")

In few words, I really mean it when I say Born This Way changed my life, partially shaped up how I am today. It gave me confidence at a time when I was going through a lot. And this is just a personal story, to show how powerful and impactful this album was. I will be forever grateful to Gaga for this record. 

Lucas

It made me accept myself more. I was bullied at school and my whole family is homophobic so I felt like I couldn't be gay, and I felt like I couldn't be myself. The first songs that came to my mind were also Born This Way, Marry The Night and Hair when I thought about which songs had impact on me. I listened to the album every night to sleep and the lyrics of these 3 songs really are the ones who made me stronger and made me accept my sexuality and random problems

Saade Baena

self acceptance
self confidence
pride in being gay
proud of my appearance
Proud of the things I own
proud to be part of the fan base more special

SHALLOW

None :huntyga:

I actually unstanned when it came out cause i didn't like anything about it.

Two years ago i started listening to it and it's pretty ok as an album, but still my least favourite.

I know its message helped so many people but tbh i can't really relate to that cause the album that really helped me to accept myself is ARTPOP 

DonnieDarko
7 minutes ago, HYPODERMIC0 said:

None :huntyga:

I actually unstanned when it came out cause i didn't like anything about it.

Two years ago i started listening to it and it's pretty ok as an album, but still my least favourite.

I know its message helped so many people but tbh i can't really relate to that cause the album that really helped me to accept myself is ARTPOP 

Exactly my thoughts. On top of that I felt it was a step back in her career and a highly off putting album for anyone that wasn't gay or a part of LGBT community.  Maybe I'm a bit dramatic but those are just my thoughts. It has some of her very best songs, but apart from that, it's just ok.

Widows Kiss

I wasn't a fan back then but I remember hearing BTW and TEOG all the time on the radio. It might sound insane but I'm REALLY sure I have heard Highway Unicorn on the radio once, too.

I love the album nowadays but I dislike MTN and BTW and I think Judas is her best single from BTW. :selena: Unfortunately, it flopped in Europe. :messga:

Borislshere

Kind of forced me out of the closet. Can’t think of any positive impact it’s had on my life :laughga:

PedrinniSan
1 hour ago, nicolasrumet said:

At the time, I was 14 years or old or so, very confused about my life, my sexuality and my religion. I wasn't a big fan of Gaga yet, but I do remember being inspired by her Don't Ask Don't Tell speeches. I do remember though that I was a bit disturbed by her Alejandro Video (it was the last video she released before BTW).

When the song Born This Way came out, I felt that every lyric spoke directly to me, at time when I really needed it the most. It felt like I found the answers I was searching for in the song, that perhaps, it's God's will that I am Gay, and that it's no mistake. At the time, it wasn't that mainstream to promote LGBT rights. Born This Way was probably the first major song to do so. And to me I felt like my own cause was being championed, a song that talks about my personal struggle is N1 in  in many countries for several weeks. I felt that perhaps, people like me aren't as rejected as I thought they'd be. It gave me hope. Whenever I needed comfort and self-confidence I would listen to that song. It felt like an emotional cure.

In few words, I really mean it when I say Born This Way changed my life, partially shaped up how I am today. It gave me confidence at a time when I was going through a lot. And this is just a personal story, to show how powerful and impactful this album was. I will be forever grateful to Gaga for this record. 

It's seems that you've got inside my mind and wrote this. I was 14 too, and had the same struggles. I lost my mom when I was 11 and after that, I got bullied when I started mid school. After that, I realized I didn't believed in god, and I was confused since I always had catholic education in school. I had no friends, I felt lonely, useless, ugly, fat, freak and worthless. My grades fell down and I was hopeless. A few years later, I made some friends that today are like my family. Two of them were monsters, and showed me a lot of songs from TF & TFM. I liked them, but I wasn't a fan at that time (it was 2010) but a year later, when Born this way came out, everything changed.

I realized I was gay, that I wasn't alone on that feeling of confusion and fear. That there was hope and people who would accept me for who I am. That it was ok to not believe in god. That it was ok to feel alone and being different. And most importantly, that dreams can come true. Until today, when I feel sad I listen to this album and makes my day better, and take my memories back to that days when I was that insecure child who had hope back when everything seemed lost. I thank to my friends, my family, gaga and this record for remembering me I'm not alone, and everything gets better.

HiddenWeirdo
1 hour ago, DonnieDarko said:

Exactly my thoughts. On top of that I felt it was a step back in her career and a highly off putting album for anyone that wasn't gay or a part of LGBT community.  Maybe I'm a bit dramatic but those are just my thoughts. It has some of her very best songs, but apart from that, it's just ok.

I really don't want to fight but that's complete horse sh** (a refference to 'Bad Kids' :laughga:)

I mean, sure she fought and still fights a lot for the rights of the LGBT community but still, BTW was not only about our sexual orientation. It stands for celebrating YOURSELF in general. We are so much more than just our sexualities.

This album changed my perception of my own beauty.

After the perfect image of a popstar during the 'the Fame era' she became this vulnerable but strong person who felt like a big sister to me. And suddenly my 15 y.o. self said: Wow. If she can love her flaws and walk down the street with self-confidence, then I can do that too.

photo-credit-atrl.jpg

Archived