Miracle

NINA. MOTHER****ING. HAGEN.

SIOUXSIE. SIOUX. GODMOTHER OF GOD

ANNE-MARIE from the SKELETAL FAMILY

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, SKANK said:

I don't mean to doubt your credentials as the self-appointed Punk Police, but Henry Rollins has said that Gaga is punk, so perhaps you are wrong.

Patti Smith is a poet, who didn't engage with politics, and doesn't know how to tune a guitar, yet she is regarded unanimously as the Godmother of Punk.

Meanwhile, at SXSW Gaga gets vomited on while riding a mechanical bull screaming into the mic about her rapist being a pig, delivers a historic political keynote address about the importance of not selling out, while wearing a dress made of trash bags.

So basically wearing trash and screaming about your problems makes a person punk in your world? I guess we're all punk then! :selena:  

Patti Smith is a punk artist, have you actually heard her music? I don't think you have.She doesn't have to play an instrument or be into politics. My point is, Gaga is NOT punk. It's simple as that. Avril Lavign, Michelle Branch, Courtney Love, Gwen Stefani are punk artists. Gaga is POP/Dance that's it.

Bloodyjack
1 hour ago, SKANK said:

I don't mean to doubt your credentials as the self-appointed Punk Police, but Henry Rollins has said that Gaga is punk, so perhaps you are wrong.

Patti Smith is a poet, who didn't engage with politics, and doesn't know how to tune a guitar, yet she is regarded unanimously as the Godmother of Punk.

Meanwhile, at SXSW Gaga gets vomited on while riding a mechanical bull screaming into the mic about her rapist being a pig, delivers a historic political keynote address about the importance of not selling out, while wearing a dress made of trash bags.

Exactly. Papa please preach lool😂😂

Bloodyjack
22 minutes ago, darkpaw said:

So basically wearing trash and screaming about your problems makes a person punk in your world? I guess we're all punk then! :selena:  

Patti Smith is a punk artist, have you actually heard her music? I don't think you have.She doesn't have to play an instrument or be into politics. My point is, Gaga is NOT punk. It's simple as that. Avril Lavign, Michelle Branch, Courtney Love, Gwen Stefani are punk artists. Gaga is POP/Dance that's it.

Well that is a huge part of punk aesthetic/personality yes. And I think you need to understand that punk is more than just a musical genre

SKANK
30 minutes ago, darkpaw said:

I love Patti Smith. Horses is one of my favorite albums of all time. Her poems deeply influenced how I see the world and other people. Just Kids is without a doubt one of the the most beautiful memoirs ever written. I'm a huge Patti Smith fan, and happen to have grown up in the same town as her. If you are interested in looking at my post history, you can find me professing my love for her in the past. So, you are wrong on that count.

You are also deeply wrong if you think Punk is just a genre of music. While an artist like Avril may adhere more closely to a musical sound that is reminiscent of Punk Rock (compared to Gaga that is) that doesn't make her Punk. Punk is a subculture that goes beyond music. It's politics, activism, and a way of creating art.

So yes, if you are wearing an outfit made out of trash, being vomited on, and screaming about rape, that is Punk - even if you are singing to an electronically made track.

But if we are going by your strict genre qualifications, none of the artist you listed as being punk are actually punk. Gwen makes Ska music, Courtney makes Grunge, Michelle Branch and Avril Lavinge make pop.

Gaga is a pop star, who has a Punk approach to art and activism. If the lead singer of Black Flag anoints you as "punk," you are punk.

9 minutes ago, SKANK said:

I love Patti Smith. Horses is one of my favorite albums of all time. Her poems deeply influenced how I see the world and other people. Just Kids is without a doubt one of the the most beautiful memoirs ever written. I'm a huge Patti Smith fan, and happen to have grown up in the same town as her. If you are interested in looking at my post history, you can find me professing my love for her in the past. So, you are wrong on that count.

You are also deeply wrong if you think Punk is just a genre of music. While an artist like Avril may adhere more closely to a musical sound that is reminiscent of Punk Rock (compared to Gaga that is) that doesn't make her Punk. Punk is a subculture that goes beyond music. It's politics, activism, and a way of creating art.

So yes, if you are wearing an outfit made out of trash, being vomited on, and screaming about rape, that is Punk - even if you are singing to an electronically made track.

But if we are going by your strict genre qualifications, none of the artist you listed as being punk are actually punk. Gwen makes Ska music, Courtney makes Grunge, Michelle Branch and Avril Lavinge make pop.

Gaga is a pop star, who has a Punk approach to art and activism. If the lead singer of Black Flag anoints you as "punk," you are punk.

Probably not gonna read this cuz it's way too long and I just don't care. So that's that.

16 minutes ago, Bloodyjack said:

Well that is a huge part of punk aesthetic/personality yes. And I think you need to understand that punk is more than just a musical genre

I know that it's not just a musical genre. but my opinion is that Gaga is not punk. Saying that she's punk cuz she wore "trash" -which she really didnt; she wore a crop top, panties and fishnets-  and had got puked on by and artist who makes art of puking while singing swine does not make her punk. And that's all I'm gonna say. 

Dukttape
7 minutes ago, darkpaw said:

Probably not gonna read this cuz it's way too long and I just don't care. So that's that.

Gross

RockFan87

Hayley Williams, she may be more pop-punk in music, but she's definitely punk in attitude and approach. I can't think off too many female punk singers, I'll get back to you that. Lol at some of ya'll mentioning Avril Lavigne? She's pop, not even pop-punk. 

RockFan87
3 hours ago, sipthistea said:

Selena Gomez

Demi Lovato

Britney Spears

Ashley Tisdale

LMFAO! You're joking right? 

RockFan87
2 hours ago, NNES said:

Avril Lavigne in her "Let Go" and "Under My Skin" era :huntyga:

Lol, Avril is far from punk. She's never even been pop-punk really, let alone a punk singer. 

RockFan87
2 hours ago, Gaga Monster said:

Avril Lavigne

LMFAO! She's not a punk singer. She's 100% pop. 

Bloodyjack
14 hours ago, darkpaw said:

I know that it's not just a musical genre. but my opinion is that Gaga is not punk. Saying that she's punk cuz she wore "trash" -which she really didnt; she wore a crop top, panties and fishnets-  and had got puked on by and artist who makes art of puking while singing swine does not make her punk. And that's all I'm gonna say. 

It's not just because of that at all. She does punk things regularly. The entire btwb was very punk in my opinion from the outfits to the aesthetic to the attitude

Archived