💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Who is the Most Overrated Artist in Music?

rumours

Featured Posts

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Louvre

I feel so bad for eveyone saying Beyoncé :kara:

Ed Sheeran is definitely severly overrated. He's hailed like some emotional musical genius, while I could barely distinguish him from all my straight friends playing guitar, actually some of them play better guitar.

It's said the map of the world is on you. The moon gravitates around you. The seasons escape you.

1 hour ago, Rumours1977 said:

To everyone saying Beyoncé, why exactly? 

Based on the pretense that you all think she is "overrated", why does society praise her in ways that you all think is non-deserving?

I really don't have an opinion on this, but I am legitimately curious

It's not about her being undeserving of praise. It's about her being praised for literally everything. The fact that she can release an album of herself just talking and it will be praised as if she's the first person on earth to speak. The fact that her success now isn't based on anything other than the fact that she's Beyonce at this point - which is good for her - but in my opinion she's overrated. I listen to plenty of artists and Beyonce is one of the few that I could never complete and album start to finish.

BornSimon

Beyoncé is probably the most overrated artist I have ever co-existed with. Everything about her feels like an absolute farce, from her power to her impact to her success. I am not trying to diminish her talent as a singer and a dancer, but the way she and her husband have created this Michael Jackson-like empire around them just never felt organic. She always relied on the men in her life way too much, and I have never appreciated bands where one member MUST be at the forefront all the time. It's like they are FORCING you to pay attention to her, and you are not paying attention because you want to, but because you are made to.

Taylor Swift is another one. The most pointless popstar out there, the definition of "dull". And her music is terrible imo.

Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber, Justin Timberlake... all Michael Jackson wannabes. Bruno is very talented but his lyrics are tragic. The other two I don't have time for.

BBhomemaker
32 minutes ago, GagaInTheZone said:

Beyoncé. Call me when she has more talent than singing and dancing (which is already great but not enough to consider her as the best artist of all time like 85% of people do)

Singing and dancing ....well that's her job what are you excepting? :ladyhaha: She's not part of a circus, do magic trick on stage or a comedian show

rumours
14 minutes ago, darkpaw said:

The fact that her success now isn't based on anything other than the fact that she's Beyonce at this point

Isn’t that true of any artist though?

For example, would Joanne have gone platinum if it were just some random singer? Probably not. Many people likely bought the album just cause it had “Lady Gaga” on the cover. 

Karl
2 hours ago, Creyk said:

Beyonce: doesn't even write or compose her own music, and she is praised for her performances but half of the vocals are lip synched in.

She gets good reviews for her albums because if a critic said something bad about her, they would be deemed as racist, there is now the culture where if you say something negative about a black woman the only reason can be that you are racist. If Demi released Lemonade, it would not have received such acclaim.
The same thing is happening to Rihanna (another woman of color!). Year after year fashion magazines praise her looks at the MET gala, this year was no exception. Last year Katy ( a white woman) was DRAGGED for using the same designer that Rihanna used, because that Designer said some problematic things. But now that Rihanna does it it's okay because the echo chamber demands that you praise her.

Demi couldn’t have made lemonade because the music and visuals are a direct result of Beyoncé’s heritage and upbringing. That’s like saying ‘well if Rick Astley released Thriller it wouldn’t be as well received’ 🙄

Mr S
2 hours ago, Rumours1977 said:

I am just confused as to why people would be jealous. It's a female pop star from that late 90s/ early 2000s  who has continued to be relevant in a modern era lacking that archetype. That's quite an accomplishment (especially with the acclaim around Lemonade)!

Wouldn't that be something to celebrate?

I don't know why people say it's jealousy.

Do I wish LG had the acclaim that Bey has? Sure. But I also wish she had the acclaim that Lorde, Adele, and others have. Do we all call them overrated too? Don't think there is the same consensus. Do I wish LG had the success Bey is having? No. I wish she would have Adele and Taylor success.

I think Beyonce is overrated because I don't think her musicianship deserves the praise it receives. For example, I don't think a song like "Formation" is well written in terms lyrics, melody, song structure. Does it have a great message? Sure. "Born This Way" also has a great message but I don't think it's well written either. I think Lemonade as a whole is a good album. And I think without the visual component it wouldn't receive the praise it got because the actual songs aren't great.

I also don't like when an artist receives songs from other producers and then adds their name to it because they did vocal harmonies or changed a word or said "this sounds good with horns" or whatever. I didn't like LG doing that to TIHTY either. Thankfully that's her only time doing it. It's perfectly fine if you can't write. Just don't take credit for it.

Bey is a great performer. Better than LG even. She is a good singer. And her videos are pretty amazing. She and her team are also great business and industry people. She deserves praise for that. Anything else is overboard. I know Beyonce is a touchy subject on this board. I mean, Taylor, Katy, Ed, hell even Rihanna, can get dragged left and right. But once someone mentions Bey in a thread like this, it never ends well. It's always "monsters are jealous" or something. If monsters are gonna be jealous, I'd think they'd be jealous of Taylor or Adele.

rumours
12 minutes ago, GrigioGirl1 said:

I don't know why people say it's jealousy.

Do I wish LG had the acclaim that Bey has? Sure. But I also wish she had the acclaim that Lorde, Adele, and others have. Do we all call them overrated too? Don't think there is the same consensus. Do I wish LG had the success Bey is having? No. I wish she would have Adele and Taylor success.

I think Beyonce is overrated because I don't think her musicianship deserves the praise it receives. For example, I don't think a song like "Formation" is well written in terms lyrics, melody, song structure. Does it have a great message? Sure. "Born This Way" also has a great message but I don't think it's well written either. I think Lemonade as a whole is a good album. And I think without the visual component it wouldn't receive the praise it got because the actual songs aren't great.

I also don't like when an artist receives songs from other producers and then adds their name to it because they did vocal harmonies or changed a word or said "this sounds good with horns" or whatever. I didn't like LG doing that to TIHTY either. Thankfully that's her only time doing it. It's perfectly fine if you can't write. Just don't take credit for it.

Bey is a great performer. Better than LG even. She is a good singer. And her videos are pretty amazing. She and her team are also great business and industry people. She deserves praise for that. Anything else is overboard. I know Beyonce is a touchy subject on this board. I mean, Taylor, Katy, Ed, hell even Rihanna, can get dragged left and right. But once someone mentions Bey in a thread like this, it never ends well. It's always "monsters are jealous" or something. If monsters are gonna be jealous, I'd think they'd be jealous of Taylor or Adele.

A great, well-rounded explanation :) 

Skinny Legend

It's probably Drake. I don't get what's so special about his latest songs that go #1 instantly and legends like Mariah or Madonna can't even chart. I know it's ageism but still can't accept it.:selena:

sipthistea

Thinking it deeply, I would dare to say The Beatles are the most overrated artists of all time. 

According to people who worked close to them, they were not very talented and the producers are the actual geniuses behind their work (Quincy Jones and George Martin) 

ItsTommyBitch
2 hours ago, Rumours1977 said:

This is a good point! 

I keep trying to pinpoint why people think Beyoncé is so overrated on GGD, and I really just can't find substantiated evidence to legitimize the amount of hate she seems to get. At first I thought it was due to her race, but other African American females don't seem to receive the same amount of hate proportionately on this site that she does. Then I thought it was due to her high level of fame, but artists like Rihanna (at least from my experience here on GGD) aren't facing the same amount of backlash. 

I think @ryanripley is on to something when he mentioned jealousy earlier in the thread, but that just seems so petty (hating on someone just because of their success). What do you think is going on?

I'm not really sure. Stan culture is pretty toxic and I've seen even the most logical of people be blatantly biased and irrational when it comes to "defending their faves" against even the smallest slight :shrug: I can offer some ideas, the truth is perhaps somewhere in between all of the following:

Firstly, I do not think Beyonce is an overrated artist. I believe she has worked hard to achieve acclaim, is incredibly talented, and dedicated and the success and acclaim she receives is quite fitting in light of that.

I do recognize that our culture, perhaps in a tongue-n-cheek sort of way, has definitely deified Beyonce. She's the mother of black culture, she's unstoppable, she always wins, she can do everything, she's "Queen Bey", etc. I don't think this is that harmful, especially because I do see a lot of it as being in jest. For those that have anything against her however, the constant praise by media, critics, the general public, etc. must seem incredibly perplexing and dissonant.

I think for one its important to understand that a lot of Beyonce's music, from even before Self-Titled, is pretty black in lingo, attitude, idea, slang, style, genre. (I thought it was hilarious that everyone was like "Beyonce is... BLACK?"' after the Superbowl when she premiered Formation and ever since then). Sure, she's appearing more "woke" now in performance and character, but her music has always been some form of black. I bring this up because as Beyonce's music and persona have evolved, so too has the intended audience. In general, it can be quite alienating to hear music and not understand its message or importance or even musical qualities because on a fundamental level, its not for you. It's not that white and non black people cannot or should not listen to Black music, but sometimes the purpose of art is not intended to be "public, general consumption" - sometimes art isn't made to be consumed at all, its to be appreciated, studied, analyzed, etc. Hell, sometimes music isn't even created to be listened to. And these are all remote ideas that general person does not have to deal with often, but the idea that -- no, Beyonce is still making music that could be played on radio, etc... but its not made with white people, men, etc. in mind is also potentially VERY confusing, because 90% of things are, and that dissonance may express itself as anger, frustration, confusion, etc. - all of which can be misplaced. White people may not understand the lyrics to "Formation" but still go bat **** crazy seeing it performed because Beyonce is above all, a master entertainer. It's made to entertain. That it carries in this instance a specific cultural message for a specific audience is a bonus.

Also, perhaps more generally pondering some people are racist, even implicitly or subconsciously. And some people are sexist, and many that are one are the other :shrug: Not that that's a sole motivator, as you have stated many people do not feel this strongly about Rihanna for example. It's probably a combination of everything, maybe leaning towards her deification on top of not understanding her music. 

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

rumours
7 minutes ago, sipthistea said:

Thinking it deeply, I would dare to say The Beatles are the most overrated artists of all time. 

According to people who worked close to them, they were not very talented and the producers are the actual geniuses behind their work (Quincy Jones and George Martin) 

I think there’s truth to the Beatles being very overrated like you said. I might also throw Elvis into the mix as well. 

youandi

It’s not the people or fans that overate Beyonce, it’s the media. I think it’s kinda ignorant as pop fans to suggest that Beyonce hasn’t cemented her self as an icon or even legend, whether you like her or not, but when things like Buzzfeed shade other artists for not being Beyonce, that’s when it’s a bit silly

Chiunzhan
2 hours ago, Infinity Wave said:

Excuse me? Michael Jackson aka the man who invented/revolutioned modern pop music along with Madonna?

Call me when you've studied just a liiiiitle bit more. ;)

That's my opinion sis, we're not supposed to think the same or like the same things.

Archived