💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Who is the Most Overrated Artist in Music?

rumours

Featured Posts

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ryanripley
7 minutes ago, Rumours1977 said:

I am just confused as to why people would be jealous. It's a female pop star from that late 90s/ early 2000s  who has continued to be relevant in a modern era lacking that archetype. That's quite an accomplishment (especially with the acclaim around Lemonade)!

Wouldn't that be something to celebrate?

well you'd think that but this forum and stan twitter is populated by younger generations who don't really get that concept yet (i didn't until my 20s) and the amount of likes and popularity you get from being bitter and shady can reinforce that so it's not really a surprise other fanbases would seethe at the success of Lemonade

but gaga has a lot of money, i truly believe she has what it takes to put out a project as fully fleshed out as Lemonade and i have my coins READY

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

ItsTommyBitch
7 minutes ago, Creyk said:

Beyonce: doesn't even write or compose her own music, and she is praised for her performances but half of the vocals are lip synched in.

She gets good reviews for her albums because if a critic said something bad about her, they would be deemed as racist, there is now the culture where if you say something negative about a black woman the only reason can be that you are racist. If Demi released Lemonade, it would not have received such acclaim.
The same thing is happening to Rihanna (another woman of color!). Year after year fashion magazines praise her looks at the MET gala, this year was no exception. Last year Katy ( a white woman) was DRAGGED for using the same designer that Rihanna used, because that Designer said some problematic things. But now that Rihanna does it it's okay because the echo chamber demands that you praise her.

This is the definition of an unsubstantiated claim. You can't just say it because its "what you think" then pass it off as being true or even probably true. If its merely what you think, back it up with something. 

Beyonce does not need to prove that she is without a shadow of a doubt one of the most technically impressive vocalists in "pop" music today. From a vocal, pedagogical standpoint, this is not really deniable, though ofc you are welcome to dislike her voice or style of singing. She can sing live, impeccably, while dancing. That she lip syncs some times (less than haters will admit :laughga: ) is really not controversial, and honestly, I'm not sure how its a value judgment on her talent. Good singers should not always sing, constantly, while performing for long periods of time spanning several months, years, etc. unless they want to kill their voices over time. Look at Mariah. If anything, we should be happy Beyonce is preserving her vocals so that if shes still making music into her 40s and 50s, she is not struggling to recreate what she has put onto studio recordings and dealing with medical issues. Even Adele, who is in her twenties, has had health issues because of over singing. Is it better to lip sync a few times, drop some choruses, verses, etc. and engage with the crowd, dance, perform, etc than to be constantly belting, singing, and dancing all of the time for your health? Objectively, Yes.

Your points about racism, and suggested political correctness gone amuck are completely based on your own biased views :air: You don't have to enjoy an album for it to be well received. Like, do you see her metacritic score and just assume its not deserved? Do you read the reviews and read why the album receives the score it gets? It feels like you think they just read "Queen Bey has done it again! 100! - Pitchfork" or something :gum: You can acknowledge that the story telling in Lemonade is on point without actually liking the music and it doesn't make you racist :rip: It seems more and more that people are conflating the idea of being presumed racist as more dangerous/damaging than actually being racist. We can't know how Demi releasing Lemonade would go critically, so this is also unsubstantiated :gum: All we can say is that Lemonade is a story about black femininity and womanhood, and a larger cultural experience, and if Demi released this album verbatim, it would be appropriative and inappropriate, regardless of its sonic or aesthetic merit. 

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

RAMROD

Eh, most people take this “overrated” word so freely and address it to artists they don’t like, so I don’t think I should take what they say seriously regarding this matter lmao

They think what they think what’s right but if that is actually correct is up to discussion lmao

To me overrated artists would mean Someone who can’t sing well or perform well or write well, either one of those, but hyped up too much, and get so many praise because of other things than music.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ unknown.. despair.. a lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

rumours
12 minutes ago, ItsTommyBitch said:

All we can say is that Lemonade is a story about black femininity and womanhood, and a larger cultural experience, and if Demi released this album verbatim, it would be appropriative and inappropriate, regardless of its sonic or aesthetic merit. 

This is a good point! 

I keep trying to pinpoint why people think Beyoncé is so overrated on GGD, and I really just can't find substantiated evidence to legitimize the amount of hate she seems to get. At first I thought it was due to her race, but other African American females don't seem to receive the same amount of hate proportionately on this site that she does. Then I thought it was due to her high level of fame, but artists like Rihanna (at least from my experience here on GGD) aren't facing the same amount of backlash. 

I think @ryanripley is on to something when he mentioned jealousy earlier in the thread, but that just seems so petty (hating on someone just because of their success). What do you think is going on?

rumours
10 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

To me overrated artists would mean Someone who can’t sing well or perform well or write well, either one of those, but hyped up too much, and get so many praise because of other things than music.

I agree with your definition. :)

Who would be some singers that would fall into that category for you and why?

ryanripley
2 minutes ago, Rumours1977 said:

This is a good point! 

I keep trying to pinpoint why people think Beyoncé is so overrated on GGD, and I really just can't find substantiated evidence to legitimize the amount of hate she seems to get. At first I thought it was due to her race, but other African American females don't seem to receive the same amount of hate proportionately on this site that she does. Then I thought it was due to her high level of fame, but artists like Rihanna (at least from my experience here on GGD) aren't facing the same amount of backlash. 

I think @ryanripley is on to something when he mentioned jealousy earlier in the thread, but that just seems so petty (hating on someone just because of another's success). What do you think is going on?

i think gaga fans in particular are very sensative towards other artists success because back in 2009 - 11, gaga's success was unbeatable and was a once in a blue moon type of over night success and they're deemed the "glory days" because gaga was literally winning and setting records left and right

even fans come for gaga herself today because she's no longer up on that level but it's very easy to come at peace with, you just go outside and enjoy life

Borislshere

Y'all saying Beyonce as if she hasn't worked her ass off for 21+ years and has earned every bit of praise she gets. :ladyhaha:

The songwriting excuse is getting tired. You all act as if her not writing the music completely means she's not involved in the process. Tons of her collaborators have spoken out about how hands on Beyonce is in her process of making music. 

ordinarynam1310

I don't care if the music is written by 15 people or not, if the output is great than it's great. Bey is little bit overrated (since she's treated like a God in the US), but definitely not the most. She earn what she has right now, and she's been evolving as an artist more than ever. 

I think right now is probably be Drake, whatever he puts out will be digest immediately and hit top of the chart. Nice For What has a great Lauryn Hill sample that's it. 

And Ed writes his songs but, they're all the same. Plus, Shawn Mendes is not actually that great, I hope he has something new for this album because almost every songs of him sound the same

rumours
1 minute ago, sipthistea said:

Dolly Parton is also overrated :bon:

Really?:O I'd actually say that Dolly doesn't get enough recognition for her contributions to music and society.

Why do you think that (no shade)?

sipthistea
1 minute ago, Rumours1977 said:

Really?:O I'd actually say that Dolly doesn't get enough recognition for her contributions to music and society.

Why do you think that (no shade)?

I was just joking because I know you love her :ladyhaha:.

I agree, she doesn't get enough recognition for her work in country music. She's an iconic and talented singer-songwriter. 

rumours
11 minutes ago, ryanripley said:

i think gaga fans in particular are very sensative towards other artists success because back in 2009 - 11, gaga's success was unbeatable and was a once in a blue moon type of over night success and they're deemed the "glory days" because gaga was literally winning and setting records left and right

even fans come for gaga herself today because she's no longer up on that level but it's very easy to come at peace with, you just go outside and enjoy life

It's really an unfair standard for people to have for her. I became a fan because of C2C, so I guess I maybe can't fully comprehend how it felt to be a fan during those years. 

Moreover, why would fans want someone to be at their commercial peak indefinitely? While it may be an unpopular opinion, I think prolonged success like that would just lead to complacency in terms of artistic progression. We arguably wouldn't have C2C or Joanne if she had retained that level of success throughout the BTW and ARTPOP eras.

ryanripley
Just now, Rumours1977 said:

It's really an unfair standard for people to have for her. I became a fan because of C2C, so I guess I maybe can't fully comprehend how it felt to be a fan during those years. 

Moreover, why would fans want someone to be at their commercial peak indefinitely? While it may be an unpopular opinion, I think prolonged success like that would just lead to complacency in terms of artistic progression. We arguably wouldn't have C2C or Joanne if she had retained that level of success throughout the BTW and ARTPOP eras.

a lot of her fanbase would be here for that lol but yeah, it's strange because every era she's been almost a totally different person and some people still don't get it yet

i think she has a much smaller core and loyal fanbase compared to her peers because of how polarising her albums are and how each one has a unique sound attracting all kinds of audiences for one era but then turning some away for the next

it's just a shame they get can be so brutal about it

Archived