Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Gaga on The Fame: "My Teenage Dream"

derpmonster

Featured Posts

derpmonster

Hello sistrens,

So here's my hot take. Gaga inspired Kety's album Teenage Dream. We all know how much Kety has always stanned Gaga:

black-and-white-gif-katy-perry-lady-gaga

I remember a video from around the same time as this GIF when Katy was so excited to meet Gaga and said, "Oh my God, you're like the next Madonna, but better!"

We know that the bubblegum pop style is something Katy had had for a while but Gaga's impact on the industry brought electronic tunes into it. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the concept. In the song The Fame, the bridge goes,

"Don't ask me how or why
But I'm gonna make it happen this time
My teenage dream tonight
Yeah, I'm gonna make it happen this time."

It's not much of a stretch to say that Katy had heard all of the Fame and seen the lyrics. "Teenage Dream" isn't exactly an idiomatic commonly-used phrase, so it's very likely it sparked an idea in her.

To the point where she included a song named Starstrukk that she featured on in her Teenage Dream: The Complete Confection. And meaning-wise, she sort of hints at The Fame's bridge in "Who Am I Living For?"

Spoiler

Bonus Content: K(E.T.)Y from 2010: "Different DNA, they don't understand you." In 2011, Gaga says, "Same DNA, but born this way." In 2012, Madonna says, "MDNA." :giggle:

I'm not saying Katy copied anything. But I think she very likely got inspired by The Fame. It was a groundbreaking record that shook the industry but Katy loved it and loved talking about it too. :)

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
teawhore

that's.... a stretch :poot:

katy-perry-bon-2.gif

but yeah, the The Fame thing always intrigued me :oprah:

♡ nyc ♡

WeSmokinEmAll

I don't think Starstrukk was on The Complete Confection but I see were you're coming from even if it is a bit of a stretch

derpmonster
4 minutes ago, TEAWHORE said:

that.... a stretch :poot:

katy-perry-bon-2.gif

but yeah, the The Fame thing always intrigued me :oprah: 

Did you call it a stretch just so you could use your GIF? :triggered:

Jk, it sort of is a stretch, but a whole new world of speculation was opened up to me today when I realized the lyric was "My teenage dream tonight," and not, "My teammate drinks tonight." :air:

teawhore
4 minutes ago, derpmonster said:

Did you call it a stretch just so you could use your GIF? :triggered:

Jk, it sort of is a stretch, but a whole new world of speculation was opened up to me today when I realized the lyric was "My teenage dream tonight," and not, "My teammate drinks tonight." :air:

sorry if i seemed rude :selena:

i appreciate the thought and effort that went into this thread, i just see so much hate against katy on this site that i usually assume the worst. but great job and a fun read :hug: 

♡ nyc ♡

derpmonster
1 minute ago, TEAWHORE said:

sorry if i seemed rude :selena:

i appreciate the thought and effort that went into this thread, i just see so much hate against katy on this site that i usually assume the worst. but great job and a fun read :hug: 

You're good! It wasn't rude. It's just me thirsty for a hit thread :toofunny:

And no hate on Kety! I love her personality sometimes.

teawhore
Just now, derpmonster said:

You're good! It wasn't rude. It's just me thirsty for a hit thread :toofunny:

and my "thats a stretch" response totally wasn't a desperate attempt for rep points :selena:

♡ nyc ♡

FameHookah

Of course, even witness is heavily inspired by gaga, Rise also has gaga related lyrics etc

she's like SO obsessed with Gaga its creepy :excuseu:

WTF is MDNA

shame

Gaga's "the killer queen inside me" lyric from The Queen also inspired

katy-perry-killer-queen-perfume-ad-campa

:whitney:

angels forever, forever angels

derpmonster
1 minute ago, FameHookah said:

she's like SO obsessed with Gaga its creepy :excuseu:

Aren't we all though? I just imagine when I'm a famous singer and can't stop talking about Lady Gaga, everyone calls me a copycat and people make compilation videos of me saying "Lady Gaga" or "Gaga" 500 times :toofunny:

tomdsgn
Just now, TheShameMonster said:

Gaga's "the killer queen inside me" lyric from The Queen also inspired

katy-perry-killer-queen-perfume-ad-campa

:whitney:

You know Killer Queen is a Queen song, right? 

shame
1 minute ago, tomdsgn said:

You know Killer Queen is a Queen song, right? 

Yeah, and Gaga's stage name also inspired their hit song Radio Ga Ga :whitney:

angels forever, forever angels

FameHookah
1 minute ago, derpmonster said:

Aren't we all though? I just imagine when I'm a famous singer and can't stop talking about Lady Gaga, everyone calls me a copycat and people make compilation videos of me saying "Lady Gaga" or "Gaga" 500 times :toofunny:

Yeah but perry even copies the clothes she wore months before, its weird :laughga:

WTF is MDNA

Archived