💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Ex-EXO member Kris inks deal with Interscope records for US debut

Supersonic

Featured Posts

Supersonic

UMG boss Sir Lucian Grainge and Interscope chief John Janick celebrate the inking of Chinese pop phenom Kris Wu.

The project will be released via a partnership between Interscope Geffen A&M stateside, UMG China and Island U.K. It follows Uni's signing of the top classical artist in China, Lang Lang, early last year.

As for Wu, the 27-year-old pop and film/TV star is a huge deal in Asia and recently became the first Chinese star to hit #1 at iTunes U.S. (thanks to "Deserve" featuring Travis Scott). He also grabbed listeners last year as writer/producer/artist on several tracks for the film XxX: Return of Xander Cage, in which he also co-starred. He's fluent in Mandarin, English and Korean, and has lent his pretty mug to such global brands as Mercedes-Benz smart cars (peep the "Kris Wu Edition" in China), McDonald's and Burberry.

source: http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=311522

Irrelevant

I live in China and the fact I have to hear more about him now :triggered:

광야로 걸어가 알아 네 home ground

Okinawa

All Kpop stars who did an US debut have flopped so far, and he will flop, too.

I do not understand why they want to have success in the US and cannot be happy with being successful in Eastern Asia.

To be successful in the US one has to be native anglophone, otherwise chances are 0,00001% to become famous there.

~We are Reel Cool~

RadioIsOurs
5 minutes ago, Monsterious said:

Okay, any clue about what is this about? 

It means more Asian representation in the West, yay!

RAMROD

:poot:  best of luck to him

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

RAMROD
1 minute ago, TooCool said:

I do not understand why they want to have success in the US and cannot be happy with being successful in Eastern Asia.

The same reason European musicians wanna be famous in USA, also, you stinks. Let them try their luck. Not your decision.  :sis:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Frivolero
5 minutes ago, TooCool said:

To be successful in the US one has to be native anglophone, otherwise chances are 0,00001% to become famous there.

yeah that's true. hayley kiyoko, who is a wonderful poet/ dancer/ singer/ emo realness:pray:, is kinda getting some trouble being famous in the US. But, she is climbing slowly and this furthermore proves that introducing other music in the US will take an even longer amount of time for his fame to even rise. He will flop tbh, and that's the sad thing about the music industry and the audiences. 

RadioIsOurs
9 minutes ago, TooCool said:

Why not? It means having the platform to showcase yourself on a global scale. A few foreign artists in the past have tried it with some rather successful singles (although not much longevity). From what I've heard he can speak good english, so it's worth a try. Whether Westerners are used to seeing Asians in their pop culture, that's another issue...

RadioIsOurs
5 minutes ago, Frivolero said:

yeah that's true. hayley kiyoko, who is a wonderful poet/ dancer/ singer/ emo realness:pray:, is kinda getting some trouble being famous in the US. But, she is climbing slowly and this furthermore proves that introducing other music in the US will take an even longer amount of time for his fame to even rise. He will flop tbh, and that's the sad thing about the music industry and the audiences. 

Hayley Kiyoko is American, which only makes it a little more sad... 

Ryusei

To be different: Looking forward to seeing what he'll come up with. I won't be expecting much tho

Musery

Supersonic
10 hours ago, TooCool said:

You sound quite racist.

Also he's Chinese-Canadian. A native anglophone.

Okinawa
2 hours ago, Supersonic said:

You sound quite racist.

Also he's Chinese-Canadian. A native anglophone.

Are you one of those ultra super sensitive users who accuses others immediately for no apparent reason of being racist, terrorist, gender non-respecting?! You are the reason why Gaga fans are perceived by the outside world as part of generation snowflake...

You sound very uneducated! :)  And you are devaluating the meaning of racism and you contribute to the inflationary use of unfounded racism-accusations. :) Because you have absolutely no clue what racism means. Racism has nothing do with language.

Also, pointing at language issues has nothing to do with racism either - it's called "describing reality" - a task some users seem to have tremendous problems with.

And no, he's not a native anglophone. He was born in China and grew up in Asia and only lived in Vancouver for a few years, and by the way, Vancouver and nearby Richmond, a suburb of Vancouver, is the big city in The Americas with the largest Chinese community in %. You can actually live in Vancouver and Richmond without speaking English at all.

He's far from speaking as good English as US-Americans and British people do.

Also, he had to learn Korean and since he is more famous in Korea than in the US, he had to focus on Korean and Chinese more than on English. In his English interviews, Kris avoids to give longer answers and speaks basic English while his Korean and Chinese interviews are longer. So, well, he can be proud to know English, but it's far from being enough to be called native anglophone.

"Language environment is important

Teachers in Richmond schools are also noticing that Chinese students are avoiding speaking English when they’re outside the classroom, which is a problem.

“Language environment is important to learning any language. Most of the students probably speak Chinese at home with their parents. Now, because there are so many Chinese students at school, they stick together in groups and speak Chinese all the time,” said Tina Ding, who has been a language teacher for 18 years. She teaches Mandarin and the English Language Learning program at Richmond Secondary School. Teacher Tina Ding tallies the marks in her Mandarin 12 class. “The only time they speak English is during in-class exercises.”

Source: https://thethunderbird.ca/2018/01/31/richmond-chinese-speaking-students-english-grades-fall-behind/

And just by the way: Only because somebody is US-American or Canadian, doesn't mean that that person has to be anglophone. In Canada, you can live in French not speaking English at all just as you can speaking only Spanish in Miami, USA. Same applies for Vancouver. Also since he must focus on Mandarin, Catonese and Korean at the same time, English is not Kris' greatest priority.

22% of Vancouver City speaks Chinese as native language, compared to 51% in English. In Richmond, Chinese speakers outnumber native English speakers.

http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2016/dp-pd/prof/details/page.cfm?Lang=E&Geo1=CSD&Code1=5915022&Geo2=PR&Code2=01&Data=Count&SearchText=Vancouver&SearchType=Begins&SearchPR=01&B1=Language&TABID=1

~We are Reel Cool~

Bloody hooker

While his music will reflect him and his artistry, I hope he does bring some EXO flavor. I stan k-pop with a passion even though I feel off the track a couple of years ago. :giveup:

This mutual gaze was a “longing to touch” or a "pre-coitus" stare.

Archived