Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
movie

Is Call Me By Your Name a good movie ?

Versace

Featured Posts

Nicogly
7 minutes ago, Creyk said:

Hey people who liked it :) I need your opinions!

My boyfriend watched this 2 days ago and he was so bored while it was going on he actually called me on the  phone so we could talk a little, he complained that it's slow paced and boring, I was like oh poor thing but thank god I didn't watch it with you. Then later on when we talked again he said the movie is totally amazing and wonderful because the ending is just so so good it made everything worth it. So naturally, today I watched the last 15 minutes just to see that "epic ending" but I didn't see anything great at all :O I know that's because I don't have the context so can someone explain it to me, why was the ending so amazing and great? I really don't want to watch it because I can't tolerate slow-paced movies but you just know it will come up in conversation with my hubby at some point :icega:

You make me angry. 

Rock On and A Last One For the Road 🚬

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ryanripley
6 minutes ago, Creyk said:

My boyfriend watched this 2 days ago and he was so bored while it was going on he actually called me on the  phone so we could talk a little, he complained that it's slow paced and boring, I was like oh poor thing but thank god I didn't watch it with you. Then later on when we talked again he said the movie is totally amazing and wonderful because the ending is just so so good it made everything worth it. So naturally, today I watched the last 15 minutes just to see that "epic ending" but I didn't see anything great at all :O I know that's because I don't have the context so can someone explain it to me, why was the ending so amazing and great? I really don't want to watch it because I can't tolerate slow-paced movies but you just know it will come up in conversation with my hubby at some point :icega:

it's because you need the rest of the movie to experience the ending, like nearly all romance movies

romance movies are rarely full of action because you're meant to be become invested and emotionally attached on some level so that the finale will have some kind of payoff, you can't just watch the last 15 minutes and say it wasn't amazing

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

Creyk
Just now, ryanripley said:

it's because you need the rest of the movie to experience the ending, like nearly all romance movies

romance movies are rarely full of action because you're meant to be become invested and emotionally attached on some level so that the finale will have some kind of payoff, you can't just watch the last 15 minutes and say it wasn't amazing

I didn't quote you on purpose because I knew you wouldn't give a normal answer, you never do

ryanripley
Just now, Creyk said:

I didn't quote you on purpose because I knew you wouldn't give a normal answer, you never do

my answer is very normal lol anyone would tell you the same thing, it's how movies work

you can't really watch the last 15 minutes of any movie and then act surprised that it was anti-climatic, you're supposed to experience the thing as a whole

Creyk
Just now, ryanripley said:

my answer is very normal lol anyone would tell you the same thing, it's how movies work

you can't really watch the last 15 minutes of any movie and then act surprised that it was anti-climatic, you're supposed to experience the thing as a whole

But a person who watched it IS ABLE TO EXPLAIN WHY IT WAS GOOOD

Even if you eat a  simple chocolate cake you are able to explain why is it that it was good and what was good about it

let's not act like this is a complicated request lol

ryanripley
Just now, Creyk said:

But a person who watched it IS ABLE TO EXPLAIN WHY IT WAS GOOOD

Even if you eat a  simple chocolate cake you are able to explain why is it that it was good and what was good about it

let's not act like this is a complicated request lol

chocolate cake and movies aren't the same :emma: 

i know it's not a complicated request and i've given you the simple answer as somebody who's seen and liked the movie and enjoys movies in general, you're just denying my point as a reason to why you thought the ending wasn't special

you just didn't invest in the movie so the payoff wasn't great for you, that's it :emma: 

Blue wig

The film is BEAUTIFUL!!! You really get to feel the Italian setting, you feel the heat, the fruit, the plants, the sun itself, it's gorgeous!

However:

I had watched God's own Country before, and that film ripped my herat out. From the beginning of that film, you feel strongly for almost every character! But in Call me by your Name, because the emphasis is on the beautiful setting, I didn't really get to feel for or identify with any of the characters (except the twink's family, who aren't even the main characters)... And the film really takes its time, so I ended up bored, and by the end I didn't really care much about the characters... Unlike God's Own Country, I didn't feel the buildup of emotions at all

Also, the daddy of the story sometimes isn't that nice to the twink, which is a huge shame, and you really see that in the ending

But I recommend watching it. It's GORGEOUS, and you might like it! I was probably spoiled by that film I watched before...

Spoiler

Also, go warch God's Own Country. It's pure, raw emotions

Creyk
1 minute ago, ryanripley said:

chocolate cake and movies aren't the same :emma: 

i know it's not a complicated request and i've given you the simple answer as somebody who's seen and liked the movie and enjoys movies in general, you're just denying my point as a reason to why you thought the ending wasn't special

you just didn't invest in the movie so the payoff wasn't great for you, that's it :emma: 

giphy.gif&f=1

ryanripley
Just now, Creyk said:

giphy.gif&f=1

i'm simply answering your question and i can promise you'll get a similar answer from anyone with a decent amount of intelligence :emma: 

Haroon
13 minutes ago, Nicogly said:

I mean its a movie about restraint, love, and its told with complexity, nuance and subtlety. So yeah, in that regard it is not “amazing”. For me it is a very beautiful film, carefully told. It is exactly what LGBTQ+ movies need to be, so as to not add up unto age long archetypes (aka the reason why I think Queer Eye is a disgrace) 

Hmm I don't know :huh: I did appreciate the beautiful aspect of it but besides that it didn't have much there for me, it was a bit too mundane :sweat: But then I also have my expectations to blame as well :flop:

bloody g
21 minutes ago, Creyk said:

the movie isn't good because of the ending, it's just good overall :deadbanana:

The direction, the scripts, the soundtrack, the photography... 

『𝐟𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐛𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐝』

Blue wig
7 minutes ago, Haroon said:

But then I also have my expectations to blame as well :flop:

Gosh me too! With everyone praising it to Venus and back, I was expecting to be emotionally slayed like I was with God's Own Country! But alas, it was not made to be... At least it was gorgeous!

Head Empty
1 hour ago, Creyk said:

Endings for movies like this are only good if you've invested in the characters. Getting to know them through that slow-paced "everyday" story and seeing how their relationship grows through time. It makes the pay-off more emotional.

Compare it to real-life relationships. If strangers tell you bad news, you won't care (much) because you don't know anything about those people and don't have history together. If your best friend or a close family member tells you the same news, you empathise with them and become sad too (usually), because you're invested and you've built that emotional bond over time.

The same thing happens when a movie is good. Even if it's only a two hour experience and not a year long friendship, good movies build that bond between audience and character. They use every scene to build up towards that emotional climax in the end, to make it feel like you're watching someone you've known for ages.

Radio Ga Ga
On 5/2/2018 at 2:37 PM, Creyk said:

(Do not read if you don't want spoilers) I think it's cuz the ending is really realistic and also so thought provoking in a way that makes you see your own life from a different viewpoint. How the romance between Elio and Oliver developed is so perfect and exciting, and most people will never in their lives experience something so exciting like that. But the movie strikes a chord within people's hearts because we all know that it's always the things that are the most perfect that are the most fleeting. But the movie really makes you question: would you rather have these great but fleeting experience and then be sad that it's over afterwards, or would you rather not experience it at all. ("Is the high worth the pain" taylor swift teas)

River

We watched few days ago finally.. I gave it 5/10.. the movie was overhyped imo

It was slow, a bit too late for our times and with so many Italian movies cliches that I wanted to throw up the pasta that I ate..

And like it's a gay movie and we only saw boobs :awkney: 

idk, the speech of the father was nice because it's unusual for that time.. but it was a popular Cannes festival movie at the end..

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Archived