Jump to content
opinion

Beyonce ~ The Tea

Featured Posts

lucastecala   Paws Up 688
lucastecala
17 minutes ago, TheQueenLG said:

 

 Please don’t come for me, my gay as* is attracted to black men and my friends are female and I respect them for their power.

 

How many times do we have to explain that being atracted to to black men does not mean you're not racist? If anything, that you can say something like that and still not realize the importance of the statement made by Beyoncé, means you're perpetuating the objectification and over-sexualization of the black body that have been going on for centuries. You have no clue of what going on, honey. Bey's message is one about empowering historically oppressed groups. It's just that your white privileged as* is so used to being in the spotlight that you can't stand when, just for a change, the cultural conversation does not revolve around white men.  

  • Like 9
  • LMAO 1
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Miel   Paws Up 6,391
Miel
1 minute ago, GypsyBabe said:

Like you, I am not a fan of how she promotes her activism. But here we are...

I am not insecure in the least and am 29 years old which means that I have been a fan of hers since her debut. I was a DC stan as a kid. Overall, I much prefer Gaga’s inclusive approach to Bey’s exclusive one. But both women are trying to make the world a better place so I really can’t complain. 

There is nothing wrong with disagreeing with how Beyoncé does things. Everyone flips out because god forbit you say something negative about Bey, yet they can drag Gaga through the pits of hell and back. :nails:

I agree. Although, I think the overall unfairness of Gaga's constant dragging stems even beyond the world kissing the ground Beyonce steps on.

  • Like 4
3 points in and ready for more

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Miel   Paws Up 6,391
Miel
1 minute ago, lucastecala said:

 

How many times do we have to explain that being atracted to to black men does not mean you're not racist? If anything, that you can say something like that and still not realize the importance of the statement made by Beyoncé, means you're perpetuating the objectification and over-sexualization of the black body that have been going on for centuries. You have no clue of what going on, honey. Bey's message is one about empowering historically oppressed groups. It's just that your white privileged as* is so used to being in the spotlight that you can't stand when, just for a change, the cultural conversation does not revolve around white men.  

Yup. Same as "my friends are female" does not mean an individual cannot be sexist.

 

  • Like 1
3 points in and ready for more

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gardevoir   Paws Up 19,455
Gardevoir
22 minutes ago, TheQueenLG said:

Please don’t come for me, my gay as* is attracted to black men.

:awkney: It’s not like that exempts you from being criticized 

22 minutes ago, TheQueenLG said:

However, with her whole “suck my balls” chant at Coachella, don’t you think she’s taken it a bit too far? I feel like she certainly can express her (appropriate) feminist beliefs and beliefs that blacks are mistreated in a way that doesn’t disrespect people unlike her. The way in which she expresses her decisive (nearly racist) sentiments will not lead to the progress she, or her followers, are seeking. 

No, African Americans have been treated unfairly for years, with segregation having been ended in 1964. Black people had to work twice as hard in order to achieve the recognition of their fellow white peers. Beyoncé ain’t telling her fans to kill white people, she telling them to express their culture, heritage and skin color. And if they have problem with it well they can suck her balls.

  • Like 7
  • LMAO 2
  • Thanks 2
The taste of your lips I'm on a ride, You're TM06 I'm slippin' under

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tyler Henry   Paws Up 348
Tyler Henry

Wait you think because she advocates for  black rights and black pride she’s being racist??? I swear sometimes some of y’all on this website don’t know how ignorant & uneducated y’all sound. It’s quite sad :saladga: @TheQueenLG

Edited by Tyler Henry
  • Like 11
  • Sad 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
GypsyBabe   Paws Up 13,033
GypsyBabe
4 minutes ago, Gardevoir said:

:awkney: It’s not like that exempts you from being criticized 

No, African Americans have been treated unfairly for years, with segregation having been ended in 1964. Black people had to work twice as hard in order to achieve the recognition of their fellow white peers. Beyoncé ain’t telling her fans to kill white people, she telling them to express their culture, heritage and skin color. And if they have problem with it well they can suck her balls.

To jump in here. I love that she promotes cultural expression and pride. The issue that I have is that she seems to propogate the narrative of “us vs them”...she promotes “otherizing” which I personally don’t support. I think it is detrimental to the overall cause. Racism is fueled by that type of thinking. 

The same applies for feminism. 

I’m not dragging her in this, I just believe in a different approach. 

Edited by GypsyBabe
  • Like 2

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Miel   Paws Up 6,391
Miel
2 minutes ago, Tyler Henry said:

Wait you think because she advocates for  black rights and black pride she’s being racist??? I swear sometimes some of y’all on this website don’t know how ignorant & uneducated. It’s quite sad :saladga: @TheQueenLG

I think there's still a misconception regarding "reverse racism", tbh.

3 points in and ready for more

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
River   Paws Up 15,787
River

Black women are oppressed because they are black and because they are women, my opinion about Bey as a performer stays the same but her way to empower her black culture, her black people and her women, is something that I actually admire..I don't mind her aggression, sometimes kind words are not enough when you fight sexism-racism..

Gaga's fight is different and tbh I want her to be more aggressive sometimes..

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
I'm not serious 99% of the times ;)

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
TimisaMonster   Paws Up 11,964
TimisaMonster

Well both Gaga and Beyonce perform in different styles that may attract different audiences.

As someone mentioned earlier, Beyonce is more focused on very tight choreography and making every moment "epic"

Gaga is more focused on putting on a great show with a mixture of live vocals and dancing that's a little more relaxed and not so rigid. 

But I'm more of a fan of Gagas music as compared to Beyonce...

  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Miel   Paws Up 6,391
Miel
Just now, GypsyBabe said:

To jump in here. I love that she promotes cultural expression and pride. The issue that I have is that she seems to propogate the narrative of “us vs them”...she promotes “otherizing” which I personally don’t support. I think it is detrimental to the overall cause. Racism is fueled by that type of thinking. 

The same applies for feminism. 

Fair point, although (in my opinion) I think what she is advocating is more intercultural solidarity within the framework of systemic racism, as opposed to the definitive "us versus them" narrative.

To speak on behalf of my own ethnicity and experience with ethnicity-based activism, the line can unfortunately be blurred sometimes.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
3 points in and ready for more

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Miel   Paws Up 6,391
Miel
1 minute ago, River said:

Black women are oppressed because they are black and because they are women, my opinion about Bey as a performer stays the same but her way to empower her black culture, her black people and her women, is something that I actually admire..I don't mind her aggression, sometimes kind words are not enough when you fight sexism-racism..

Gaga's fight is different and tbh I want her to be more aggressive sometimes..

I wholeheartedly agree. While Gaga's pacifism-activism is cute, I am definitely more geared and charged up when she is far more aggressive and passionate.

Her very bold statements during BTW and (sometimes) Joanne is what inspired me to fully immerse myself in activism and student mobilization. 

  • Like 3
3 points in and ready for more

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
GypsyBabe   Paws Up 13,033
GypsyBabe
Just now, Miel said:

Fair point, although (in my opinion) I think what she is advocating is more intercultural solidarity within the framework of systemic racism, as opposed to the definitive "us versus them" narrative.

To speak on behalf of my own ethnicity and experience with ethnicity-based activism, the line can unfortunately be blurred sometimes.

I appreciate your response and the fact that you understand where I am coming from. The sentiment is mutual. In the end,    she is putting out pride, positivity, and awareness for a group of people that have been and are still being treating unjustly from all angles. So I commend her for that, even if I disagree with her approach. :applause:

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tyler Henry   Paws Up 348
Tyler Henry
2 minutes ago, Miel said:

I think there's still a misconception regarding "reverse racism", tbh.

Oh definitely especially in the USA. It’s so bad some people don’t even believe that white privilege exists and it really saddens me. I loved how in her show she also shed a light on white feminism and how the message really doesn’t carry to black women ( at least in the US) black women are literally the most disrespected    And looked down on.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Miel   Paws Up 6,391
Miel
Just now, Tyler Henry said:

Oh definitely especially in the USA. It’s so bad some people don’t even believe that white privilege exists and it really saddens me. I loved how in her show she also shed a light on white feminism and how the message really doesn’t carry to black women ( at least in the US) black women are literally the most disrespected    And looked down on.

Yeah. Her quoting Malcolm X in the Lemonade visual is very powerful, especially considering the average lifespan of a Black Trans woman is 35. 

The conversation and rhetoric surrounding this is fortunately moving forward, imo. Obviously there's always going to be a whitelash along the way.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1
3 points in and ready for more

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gardevoir   Paws Up 19,455
Gardevoir
3 minutes ago, GypsyBabe said:

To jump in here. I love that she promotes cultural expression and pride. The issue that I have is that she seems to propogate the narrative of “us vs them”...she promotes “otherizing” which I personally don’t support. I think it is detrimental to the overall cause. Racism is fueled by that type of thinking. 

The same applies for feminism. 

I’m not dragging her in this, I just believe in a different approach. 

I can see that narrative, and to me I think she actually approaches towards the “intolerance towards intolerance” paradox

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance

if we were to create a tolerant society we must be intolerant to those that are intolerant. I appreciate the more bolder approach that Beyoncé does, as long as there is a fine line between invoking unnecessary violence vs. fighting for what is right. 

  • Like 2
The taste of your lips I'm on a ride, You're TM06 I'm slippin' under

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×