💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Nicki Minaj - Chun-Li

misunderstood

Featured Posts

KingRedd
1 hour ago, Inferno said:

I want you to clarify in detail what her asian heritage actually is. Because as far as i've been educated shes partially south asian which has nothing to do with the asian cultures she actually appropriates.

can you imagine someone who is only like 5% black appropriating rap culture? black twitter would have a field day. but somehow this is okay because it has nothing to do with their own culture. and any non-black poc is too afraid to make the issues of their own culture anything more than a sidebar to black issues.

Here’s the thing. Black people defend our culture. It’s not our job as “black Twitter” to defend Asians if they don’t raise the conversation of feeling offended or appropriated. So... what does black people have to do with this topic? 

May I Read You? 😎

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Inferno
4 minutes ago, KingRedd said:

Here’s the thing. Black people defend our culture. It’s not our job as “black Twitter” to defend Asians if they don’t raise the conversation of feeling offended or appropriated. So... what does black people have to do with this topic? 

This is an example of black people being down to borrow from other cultures and yet do not give a single f*ck about the issues of said culture. For as much as black twitter is down to defend their own against appropriation, they're hypocritical in the sense that they're down to steal from latino culture for instance but still blatantly hold their own prejudices towards actual latino people and dont care about changing that because its not apart of their agenda. They'll speak spanish for the sake of a verse and use latino samples and latino rappers but are quick to put latinos in their place in relation to the blm movement. Nicki Minaj being allowed to appropriate any asian culture without black twitter feeling any need to at least call her out on that goes to show their own hypocrisy. If you can't even acknowledge this truth....

You're right, other cultures do need to step up and defend their own though. That being said, I think a lot are going to be beaten down if they try.

KingRedd
11 minutes ago, Inferno said:

This is an example of black people being down to borrow from other cultures and yet do not give a single f*ck about the issues of said culture. For as much as black twitter is down to defend their own against appropriation, they're hypocritical in the sense that they're down to steal from latino culture for instance but still blatantly hold their own prejudices towards actual latino people and dont care about changing that because its not apart of their agenda. They'll speak spanish for the sake of a verse and use latino samples and latino rappers but are quick to put latinos in their place in relation to the blm movement. Nicki Minaj being allowed to appropriate any asian culture without black twitter feeling any need to at least call her out on that goes to show their own hypocrisy. If you can't even acknowledge this truth....

You're right, other cultures do need to step up and defend their own though. That being said, I think a lot are going to be beaten down if they try.

I see your argument, however you should really consider the fact that you’re generalizing black people. All black people are not connected to Nicki. What she does doesn’t mean we all support it. One black person cant represent for the entire race. Black people amd latinos get along the best where I’m from. Both ethnicities know how it feels to be treated badly by the majority. Speaking Spanish is by no means cultural appropriation. Learning Spanish to communicate better with other people who don’t speak English is by no means appropriation. Cultural appropriation is when people of another race steal and claim he cultural ways of another. Nicki dressing as chun li isn’t bad just like I wouldn’t be offended if a little white girl dressed as Beyoncé because she idolizes her. 

May I Read You? 😎

Inferno
10 minutes ago, KingRedd said:

I see your argument, however you should really consider the fact that you’re generalizing black people. All black people are not connected to Nicki. What she does doesn’t mean we all support it. One black person cant represent for the entire race. Black people amd latinos get along the best where I’m from. Both ethnicities know how it feels to be treated badly by the majority. Speaking Spanish is by no means cultural appropriation. Learning Spanish to communicate better with other people who don’t speak English is by no means appropriation. Cultural appropriation is when people of another race steal and claim he cultural ways of another. Nicki dressing as chun li isn’t bad just like I wouldn’t be offended if a little white girl dressed as Beyoncé because she idolizes her. 

I never said speaking spanish itself is inherently problematic. Its when you could care less about the issues facing latino people, choose to ignore them, yet want to use their culture for your own creative or financial profit. Which is the exact issue black people have with white people or non-black people in general using their culture in their work. Please tell me how that isnt true?

And quite honestly.....black people generalize hardcore. Black twitter generalizes hardcore. Its funny that when the tables are turned on black twitter as a general whole suddenly it becomes about cherry picking what is offensive and what isnt. Black twitter has an issue with a latina (an afrolatina mind you) topping the rap charts and becoming a phenomenon and taking that crown from an african american female, yet the black rap industry wants to use latino elements for profit because its trendy right now. do you see the hypocrisy there? in wanting to use latino culture for your work but not wanting a latina to be successful in it as well?

im legit not trying to be disrespectful and im certainly not anti-blm, but ive noticed a hardcore hypocrisy that i cannot ignore. while people in my culture fight for black rights its blatantly obvious to me and few others that black people as a general whole could care less about our rights and our lives.

Daredevil

lmao i can‘t

Nothing about that picture is cultural appropriation. her clothes, her hair, etc. isn’t appropriated from asian culture. It‘s from her culture. 

she’s making a Chun-Li reference. That‘s all. 

T3ARS
27 minutes ago, Inferno said:

I never said speaking spanish itself is inherently problematic. Its when you could care less about the issues facing latino people, choose to ignore them, yet want to use their culture for your own creative or financial profit. Which is the exact issue black people have with white people or non-black people in general using their culture in their work. Please tell me how that isnt true?

And quite honestly.....black people generalize hardcore. Black twitter generalizes hardcore. Its funny that when the tables are turned on black twitter as a general whole suddenly it becomes about cherry picking what is offensive and what isnt. Black twitter has an issue with a latina (an afrolatina mind you) topping the rap charts and becoming a phenomenon and taking that crown from an african american female, yet the black rap industry wants to use latino elements for profit because its trendy right now. do you see the hypocrisy there? in wanting to use latino culture for your work but not wanting a latina to be successful in it as well?

im legit not trying to be disrespectful and im certainly not anti-blm, but ive noticed a hardcore hypocrisy that i cannot ignore. while people in my culture fight for black rights its blatantly obvious to me and few others that black people as a general whole could care less about our rights and our lives.

Do you any examples of where black rappers are using latin culture? Also Cardi B is NOT afro-Latina, she is an MGM (Multigenerational Mixed) woman. Mixed or Bi/Tri-racial does not equate to being black. A person CANNOT be black without TWO black parents, unless one parent is black and the other is mixed with black. 

It is not our differences that divide us. It is our inability to recognize, accept, and celebrate those differences. - Audre Lorde

JupiterDrive

Omg can’t wait for the non existent thing that people call cultural appropriation 

Wolf Boy

Can we not enjoy things without being offended by everything?

It must be so energy draining being so upset all the ****ing time.

TimisaMonster

If she dares try to speak fake chinese in the song...

Shes in trouble 

:triggered:

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

KingRedd
2 hours ago, Inferno said:

Again you feel as though “black twitter” represents black people. There are black people supproting and buying Cardi’s music. Stop using the example “all black people” because it’s a fallacy. I need you to give me examples of everything you’re claiming because you seem to know a lot about what black people do and what we need to defend. Simple concept is, black people stand up for our own. It’s not our job to call out appropriation for Latinos. If Latinos feel mad then it’s their job to call it out and it’s our job to support and respect their opinions. You keep giving out these random examples about black vs Latino but to me that isn’t a majority rules type of thing. Blacks and Latinos normally have the most in common and do not have many problems with one another that everyday situations can’t explain. 

I still, low key, don’t get the point you’re trying to make and how this correlates to Nicki cosplaying Chun Li.

May I Read You? 😎

aaronyoji
5 hours ago, sipthistea said:

I can smell the cultural appropriation from afar :ladyhaha:

well lets be real, if this where a white artist with a song called "chun li" with their hair up in anime-looking buns, there'd be so much hell to pay. 

edit: HOLY CRAP i see the conversation has already started, time to scroll back a few pages and dive into this mess lol :glasses on: 

Chuckles

Beyoncé beeen doing this since IASF... but anyways... isn't this a new alter ego of hers?

zakariah

Not a fan of Nicki, but these visuals actually have me interested.

Also, there's no cultural appropriation in the cover art, she's basically just cosplaying as Chun Li, in her own way of course.

Archived