shame

Last Friday Night vs. The Edge of Glory  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Best Sax Solo?

• Kenny G in TGIF
    • Clarence Clemons in TEOG

Featured Posts

shame

This is a battle between the ode to partying and the ode to life. Which saxophone solo do you think takes the slice?

Spoiler

OR

Katy's Last Friday Night from 2010, which has the iconic groovy solo starring Kenny G, pioneered the resurgence of the saxophone in modern pop music. Its impact can be felt in Jason Derulo's Talk Dirty to Me and even Gaga's The Edge of Glory.

But which pop queen truly captured the essence of the instrument and artistically appropriated the sound? 

Is it the jazzy, upbeat, catchy tune from Kenny G that fits the song so perfectly... :tony:

giphy.gif

Or is the brilliant and legendary Clarence Clemons who tugs on our heartstrings with his memorable, mellow melody :diane:

tumblr_oo3w2mbQDa1qc5i9so1_500.gif

I'd love to hear y'all beautiful opinions! :wub:

angels forever, forever angels

doppelganger

Kenny G was HUGE in the 90s, but he's also like the McDonald's of Saxophonists. He wouldn't have worked on Gaga's song and Clarence would not have worked on Katy's song.

shame
15 minutes ago, doppelganger said:

Kenny G was HUGE in the 90s, but he's also like the McDonald's of Saxophonists. He wouldn't have worked on Gaga's song and Clarence would not have worked on Katy's song.

giphy.gif

Meanwhile Clarence is like the Capital Grille of them all. A true icon with artistic integrity. He's worked with Bruce Springsteen!!! :diane: 

clarence-clemons-440.jpg?w=440&w=700&q=85

Rest in peace, big man :heart:

Yo GagaGaga
39 minutes ago, TheShameMonster said:

Its impact can be felt in Jason Derulo's Talk Dirty to Me and even Gaga's The Edge of Glory.

not this again

HA48Hfc.gif

that needs to stay in the chaotic hell hole that was the "Katy Perry's Impact on Gaga" thread

corvus albus
1 hour ago, Yo GagaGaga said:

not this again

that needs to stay in the chaotic hell hole that was the "Katy Perry's Impact on Gaga" thread

Agreed. But this thread got started by the user who started the “Katy impacted Gaga“ thing. By the way nobody can actually think that Kenny G (Songbird is boring as hell) can compete in any way with the legend that is Clarence Clemonce.

shame
3 hours ago, Yo GagaGaga said:

not this again

HA48Hfc.gif

Gaga did not send 17 buses to Washington for Kris to pick up a gun

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, corvus albus said:

Agreed. But this thread got started by the user who started the “Katy impacted Gaga“ thing. By the way nobody can actually think that Kenny G (Songbird is boring as hell) can compete in any way with the legend that is Clarence Clemonce.

And after all it's just another delulu

FKhNXUv2CE.gif

NotMyFlop

I think both solos are fine, but in my opinion, The Edge Of Glory's fits in better sonically. It makes sense to the production, whereas in TGIF, I think the removal of the saxophone wouldn't disrupt or change the song that  much. Whereas if you were to remove it from The Edge Of Glory, you'd miss the entire mood leading up to the climax of the song. 

If that makes sense. :cryga:

Fernster7

This comparison is disrespectful to The Edge Of Glory.

We have two selves. One the world needs us to be, compliant, and the shadow. Ignore it and life is forever suffering.

highlikegaga

as a casual jazz listener, i prefer TEOG.

tho Kenny G's part in TGIF is the reason why that song is my favorite Katy song ever.

Enigma

I feel like everyone knows about the one in TGIF (what does this acronym even mean can someone help me out :poot:) but in TEOG it’s just a nice addition that you don’t think about when the song is mentioned 

3 hours ago, Fernster7 said:

This comparison is disrespectful to The Edge Of Glory.

THIS!

Phlop

TEOG is one of Gaga’s best songs.

TGIF is one of Katy’s smaller hits (even though it peaked at 1, it doesn’t have the impact today). 

BYE

justanothergay

Wow what an impartial place to ask this question :awkney:

In all seriousness though, I like the tone of the sax in TEOG more, but I'm not a sax aficionado so it's not like my opinion matters.

that boy that boy that boy that boy that boy That Boy THAT BOY is a MONSTER

Archived