• Created
  • Last Reply
Catnikko
1 hour ago, Princess Stache said:

Im sorry but Queen does not own clapping lmfao

I'm pretty sure Brian May gave her the sample to use in the song

Actual patient

Ziggy

I had NO clue about Bad Kids. I knew it had a big Michael influence but I never took the time to accurately place it. Cool to hear!

although wtf is them saying she sampled herself :laughga:

Ziggy

Guys, it’s not the end of the world that she samples. We knew this and tbh she still writes a whole freaking song in most cases and uses the sample for instrumentation purposes only, not melody. For her that’s the accoutrements to a song, the dressings. She gives credit where it’s due, and in the case of Venus even makes mention in interviews of her use of the sample. It’s all above book and it keeps the music industry thriving, art inspiring art

TheFriend
4 hours ago, ryanripley said:

sampling is the legal version because you have their permission and give credit where it's due

How did her team handle it tho? For example Poker Face and Ma Baker. Where can I see that they properly credited Boney M's MaBaker in PokerFace? :gum:  I tried wikipedia but it wasn't like the kind of credit I was looking for.

4 hours ago, Doot said:

Using pre-installed sound sets is how musical production is primarily done. 

Sampling is using lyrics or direct melodies and such from other songs, as is the case with Venus. 

Express Yourself was simply the same chord progression: the songs move forward at the same rates. 

uhm...do you have to pay someone if you want to sample a song for your song? :sweat:

Pamelaisley

I've known about Ma Baker for a long time and listen to it almost weekly. It's a bop!! 

Never knew about Bad Romance sample though!! 

the moon lights her way 🌖🦇

1 hour ago, TheFriend said:

How did her team handle it tho? For example Poker Face and Ma Baker. Where can I see that they properly credited Boney M's MaBaker in PokerFace? :gum:  I tried wikipedia but it wasn't like the kind of credit I was looking for.

uhm...do you have to pay someone if you want to sample a song for your song? :sweat:

It depends on whatever deal they work out. A lot of artists typically just request that you credit them, but some may request royalties. 

10 hours ago, corvus albus said:

Interesting but mostly she improved the original work

This tbh!

OT: Very interesting though

aaronyoji

i have a few issues: 

the venus one goes back to the 40s even, sun ra also coined the phrase "rocket no. 9" so its like, a triple sample lol. this person didn't fully do their research. 

also, sounding similar doesnt make something a sample. the electric chapel one, yeah its almost exact but almost exact doesnt make it a sample. sampling is directly taking audio from a song and working it into your own. 

also the bad romance/judas beats, if they come from a recording pack that anyone can buy, i don't really think those count as much. so like, in bad romance the drum stems are from a package, so its not a direct copy of the other song with the same drums. 

FATCAT
11 hours ago, Devyn said:

and monsters had the nerve to come for Bey for using samples on Lemonade.  

giphy.gif

People assume everything is original, It's just ignorance.

Purr more, hiss less.

FATCAT
5 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Guys, it’s not the end of the world that she samples. We knew this and tbh she still writes a whole freaking song in most cases and uses the sample for instrumentation purposes only, not melody. For her that’s the accoutrements to a song, the dressings. She gives credit where it’s due, and in the case of Venus even makes mention in interviews of her use of the sample. It’s all above book and it keeps the music industry thriving, art inspiring art

Why would people thing that sampling is bad? It's honestly one of the more flattering things you can do, besides covering a song.

Purr more, hiss less.

Haralampos

When Telephone was released I though it was inspired by Madonna's (ABBA sampled) Hung Up. I can feel the inspiration from it. Is it only me?

• CyanLights locked this topic

Archived