💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Meaning of Joanne era regarding performance art

saispas

Featured Posts

saispas

So im not at all sure about this but as i was scrolling past ggd per usual, i stumbled upon a thread mentioning how gaga should go back to using more theatrics and relying more heavily on props/ her stage. as we know, gaga considers herself a multifaceted artist as she not only does music but also performance art through her performances and public appearances. so this made me question exactly what the entire purpose of joanne was in reference to gaga's performance art and the lack of theatrics, etc.. The easiest answer would be to say that she has simply decided to have a very musically oriented era and performance art was thrown aside but i disagree.

gaga is heavily influenced by marina abramovic and this was especially evident during ARTPOP, but i believe that she took what she has learned from marina and applied it to joanne. I believe that from a performance art perspective, gaga drew heavily from marina's "the artist is present" to create an era that both pushed her and her audience to new limits. 

The artist is present was a piece that basically was abramovic sitting in a chair for days at a time with a blank stare, this translated to her audience by having one passerby at the museum sit in front of her and stare her in the eyes. This led to a self reflection for the audience, which many times led to people crying and being tearful after the experience. The point was for people to apply their own emotions and past to marina's physical. Marina herself was pushed to the edge for obvious reasons...

So joanne, was a very stripped down era that really made the audience reflect upon itself as opposed to her putting a meaning on her art for us. this explains the lackluster videos that we got during this era. take joanne (single) for example, the video was really just a montage of gaga, nothing with a storyline or a powerful message, but this is where she challenges her audience to put their own meaning on her song. she challenges to audience to apply their own past and emotions to the song and video, similar to the artist is present. It almost seems like the entire era was meant as a way for gaga to allow her audience to put their own meaning on songs and their videos, which would explain why her main songs for this era were over that most people can relate to: heartbreak (pi), love and the pain that is associated with it (million reasons), watching someone you love suffer (the cure), and finally losing the person you love (joanne). She challeneges her audience to face to pain of their past and pushes the audience to a new extreme. 

The other and more obvious way where her performance art manifests is through her live performances. Coachella, SB, and JWT were all sets that were very minimalistic and not very gaga-esque regarding her previous style and theatrics. This pushes her to a new extreme as she is the only person anyone is watching. All attention is on her and not anything around her so there is very little space for error in her choreo and vocals. She opened up about this in 5ft2 where she mentions how she no longer feels as if she must rely on theatrics and costumes to cover her up, she feels she is talented enough for a performance. Though she may be able to accept that she is enough, she pushed herself to a new extreme by having to actually put this into practice in her performance. Not only this, but choreo heavy performances, strenuous scheduling, and the sheer difficulty for the vocals reqd for the songs she is singing are all examples of her pushing herself to the edge, similar to abramovic. 

In conclusion, joanne was an era based around pushing gaga and her audience to new depths of discomfort by using a technique similar to abramovic's the artist is present wherein the art is substituted for a blank canvas that the audience must paint with their own meanings and the artist becomes the blank canvas. 

Spoiler

sorry if that was incoherent:selena: its 5 am and i spent like half an hour writing this:toofunny:

IAmNotHere1997

"So Joanne is like, you know, Lady Gaga if you erase all the fame", that says it all. :sis:

saispas
3 minutes ago, gabrielflorin01 said:

"So Joanne is like, you know, Lady Gaga if you erase all the fame", that says it all. :sis:

well... yeah:triggered:

TimisaMonster

I dont get marina abromovic from Joanne....anywhere 

I know Gaga tried to do a stripped back, personal, country-ish album and it did ok...but yeah it was a jarring experience for some fans that expected another dark pop record 

The meaning of Joanne era for ME....is just her getting some raw emotions out without trying to hide it in cryptic symbolism or extreme controversial concepts...just bare

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

SilkSpectre

I agree that marina influenced Joanne era a lot. Gaga said during ARTPOP that marina was pushing her to “more and more of less” to try to make an artistic statement without as much props/ visuals etc so that the art is made by the viewer rather than Gaga giving them the meaning by making it so obvious. I do think maybe Gaga felt that her as the artist/ human behind her creations was getting a little lost and she wanted to put herself at the forefront.

Magneto

I don't really see what you mean, but I love your analysis and it made me think of all of her amazing performance art, so thank you :diane:

Free my mind

Salvador Sequea

Take a shot everytime it says 'New Extreme'.

Spoiler

But actually it makes sense. I felt heavily linked to PI, MR and even AD back in the days. In fact I used to cry right at the end  of PI from both sadness and rage and it was a very cathartic experience tbh.

DutchHooker

The meaning of Joanne is and will always be her addiction to Mirrion Rizzons!

Joanne == Milliuhn Rizzons == Fad == Boring == LightGa

vw9r7wl.gif

giphy.gif

We want more DarkGa for #LG6

tumblr_lqjmx6qDPa1qgbjguo1_500.gif

She will return!

jCwuWSS.gif

Yes, I am a delussional monster!

Xoxo,

Dutch-Hoooooooaaaaahkhaaaah!

source.gif

We need DarkGa with Bops so we can rule the industry again and learn the other popgirls how to snatch 'em wigs to ultimate baldness!!

Joanne was a commercial move. Of course it has real emotion and intentions but it all started with the public turning away from her antics and crazy persona. If she came out with another electronic album and crazy costumes she probably would have flopped harder than Younger Now.

I think that Joanne was a combination of several factors, which is why she scrapped the original album and went down the path she did:

-career correction

-I think she realized her pain was getting worse and was going to limit a lot of what she initially had planned

I also think her idea of putting the music forward and the theatrics aside was done with the expectation that the music would be better received then it was. 

Archived