A Star Is Born
Sign in to follow this  
society

Dog dies after being placed in overhead bin on United flight

Featured Posts

Cuchulainn   Paws Up 2,808
Cuchulainn

A dog died on a United Airlines flight Monday after being placed in an overhead bin, the airline confirmed to ABC News.

In a Facebook post, a fellow passenger said a mother and her two daughters were boarding the flight with their dog in tow when a flight attendant “insisted” that the dog be placed in the overhead bin.

"They assured the safety of the family's pet so wearily, the mother agreed," passenger June Lara wrote.

The dog remained in the bin for the three-hour flight and was not given any water, according to Lara.

Upon landing, Lara said the dog was unresponsive.

United told ABC News it assumes full responsibility for the dog's death. A spokesperson could not immediately say if anyone has been disciplined in the incident.

“This was a tragic accident that should have never occurred, as pets should never be placed in the overhead bin,” United said in a statement. “We assume full responsibility for this tragedy and express our deepest condolences to the family and are committed to supporting them. We are thoroughly investigating what occurred to prevent this from ever happening again.”

https://www.google.com/amp/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/dog-dies-united-flight-overhead-bin-airline-confirms/story%3Fid%3D53718599

• Sad 14

benKo   Paws Up 2,438
benKo

As if United hasn't had enough bad headlines...

• Like 4

neptugne   Paws Up 18,728
neptugne
1 minute ago, Cuchulainn said:

pets should never be placed in the overhead bin

then why did your employee insist the dog goes in the overhead bin :triggered:

I kind of don't understand reason of death tho? Why'd the dog die? 3 hours with no water wouldn't kill something

• Like 1

ryanripley   Paws Up 69,687
ryanripley
Just now, neptugne said:

then why did your employee insist the dog goes in the overhead bin :triggered:

I kind of don't understand reason of death tho? Why'd the dog die? 3 hours with no water wouldn't kill something

maybe it was stressed and had a heart attack

ik if little dogs get too scared, it can happen

• Like 3
https://goo.gl/wFxoYL

Doug   Paws Up 55
Doug

Yeah as dumb as it was for them to force the family to put the dog up there I don't really understand what caused the dog to die in only 3 hours. Was it lack of oxygen/ventilation maybe in the overhead bin? 

neptugne   Paws Up 18,728
neptugne
3 minutes ago, ryanripley said:

maybe it was stressed and had a heart attack

ik if little dogs get too scared, it can happen

sounds like the most realistic option... even then I feel like the dog would at least bark a little bit (unless it had a muzzle) if it were really uncomfortable? either way, sad! RIP doggy

+ you know sure as hell if my dog was in an overhead bin I'd check on him throughout the flight.... weird!!!

Edited by neptugne
  • Like 1

CyanLights   Paws Up 4,654
CyanLights

Those overhead bins are not built to sustain life :saladga: it’s common procedure for a small dog to be placed in a crate underneath the seat. It’s common practice, this flight attendant messed up imo. 

You put a small dog in such a small and tight space, without a constant air supply, odds are it’s not going to be okay at the end of three hours. 

Edited by CyanLights
  • Sad 1

Mustang   Paws Up 2,733
Mustang

Omg this is awful :cryga: Poor dog, hope the family is ok

• Like 1
Never let you fall apart Together we'll dance in the dark

ryanripley   Paws Up 69,687
ryanripley
1 minute ago, neptugne said:

sounds like the most realistic option... even then I feel like the dog would at least bark a little bit (unless it had a muzzle) if it were really uncomfortable? either way, sad! RIP doggy

maybe it barked but they might have ignored it since they were told it has to stay in there and just brushed it off as "oh it's probs just a bit scared" or something idk

https://goo.gl/wFxoYL

ZacharyMonster   Paws Up 2,986
ZacharyMonster

I hate reading these headlines. :cryga: I’m an animal lover :hug:This is such a horrible accident. :ohno:

• Like 4
Today my fake plants died because I pretended not to water them

bionic   Paws Up 9,913
bionic

This happens all too often, and is why I will never take my pets on holiday, as much as I want to :(

buy bionic

MonsterPaws   Paws Up 1,763
MonsterPaws
19 minutes ago, ryanripley said:

maybe it barked but they might have ignored it since they were told it has to stay in there and just brushed it off as "oh it's probs just a bit scared" or something idk

Plus I noticed airplanes tend to have waaaay more dampened acoustics in the air than at ground. I think it's all the turbulence + air conditioning + maybe affect of air pressure on ears that contributed to them not hearing the dog.

Or if the dog's oxygen supply was slowly going away, it might have died without feeling it. I remember carbon monoxide poisoning in people makes you so tired with the lack of oxygen that you go to sleep and just never wake up :( (someone fact check me if possible).

• Like 1

Derpplause   Paws Up 27,023
Derpplause

this gives me dog in microwave teas :awkney: 

Not to offend anyone, for some reason I feel like most of these dumb things only occur in the USA? :awkney: 

RIP doggy :giveup: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SychosSoChic   Paws Up 9,988
SychosSoChic

Y'all allow dogs on commercial flights in America? :awkney:

Edited by SychosSoChic
Life ain't Hollywood for any one of us.