💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Will there ever be another huge pop moment?

ryanripley

Featured Posts

OctobersRust

After lurking for a long time on GGD, I finally created an account just to reply to this post, which really hit home for me. Especially the “am I just getting older” part. Pop music is made for the young, and even though I’m just in my early 20s aka YOUNG I do feel like I’m getting older especially when it comes to pop culture. I’m extremely pop culture savvy and like pop culture and celebrities just as much as anyone, but I feel the real abscence of “pop moments” for the past 3 or so years (Lemonade was a pretty big deal but it’s not Beyoncé’s best in my opinion), I like multiple other genres which get even less limelight / get worse every year. People seem to only care about what is easy to go viral, basic, and not be controversial. Not at all like when Gaga first became famous and people (like me) adored how different she was. Also, pop is catering to even younger audiences seemingly....I’ve gone into shock before reading Instagram posts from teens who “were in sixth grade when Taylor Swift’s 1989 came out” when I was wrapping up high school. I’ve been around friends’s 11 year old siblings singing “Havana” who don’t know barely anything about Britney. I think pop culture, music of all genres (like I said, even other genres are suffering: nobody cares about rock anymore (it’s sad that ****ing TwentyOne Pilots passes for rock), viral SoundCloud and IG stars are basically taking over hip hop, for better or for worse, and although I’ve never liked country, I’ve never hated country more than this year: “Body like a Back Road” is one of the worst songs I’ve ever heard.) are going through a collective mediocrity. I know we all laugh at Witness, and don’t get me wrong, Witness is awful, but the fact that it was released NOW is so timely. It really represents pop at its worst. Welcome to 2017/18. 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
StrawberryBlond
24 minutes ago, OctobersRust said:

Also, pop is catering to even younger audiences seemingly....I’ve gone into shock before reading Instagram posts from teens who “were in sixth grade when Taylor Swift’s 1989 came out” when I was wrapping up high school. I’ve been around friends’s 11 year old siblings singing “Havana” who don’t know barely anything about Britney.

Yep, I've actually felt old and young at the same time with this new wave. I feel older because the whole tone of this new pop, the less focus on choruses is not like the pop I used to enjoy and the new pop stars are all younger than me (I'm 28) and on the other hand, I feel so young because they're all singing about stuff I can't relate to. I listen to Dua Lipa's New Rules and think "Is this the way the young have relationships these days?" And then I remember that I'm just a very inexperienced 28 year old (but if all goes to plan, that might change very soon!) I really wonder what huge star the current generation have to look up to. I don't know who would be my idol if I were a child/teenager right now. I guess I'd still be holding on to an older idol like Gaga and Lana, in that case. Nothing from the ones under the age of 25 seem to move me these days which is weird as that's the age when you usually are at your wildest and want to shake things up. Modern stars just want to be safe so they can sell. Thing is, controversial or not, every artist falls massively in sales eventually, so why not just go all out?

OctobersRust
3 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

I listen to Dua Lipa's New Rules and think "Is this the way the young have relationships these days?" And then I remember that I'm just a very inexperienced 28 year old (but if all goes to plan, that might change very soon!) I really wonder what huge star the current generation have to look up to. I don't know who would be my idol if I were a child/teenager right now. I guess I'd still be holding on to an older idol like Gaga and Lana, in that case. Nothing from the ones under the age of 25 seem to move me these days which is weird as that's the age when you usually are at your wildest and want to shake things up. Modern stars just want to be safe so they can sell. Thing is, controversial or not, every artist falls massively in sales eventually, so why not just go all out?

I agree with everything here! On the Dua Lipa thing, god me too. I’m 21, so I suppose I’m in Dua’s target audience, in fact Dua herself is only 22, but even though I’m experienced and a little wild, I’m not at all the person in that song. I have never obsessed over an ex-flame like that or holding on to someone not worth my time. I’m also puzzled when I hear teens (I have a sibling in HS) discuss relationships and dating under the umbrella of “talking”, and the whole “girl/man that’s not my girl/man” phenomenon. It’s weird, or maybe you and I are the weird ones! :derpga: But weird is good. I hope all goes to plan with you! 

And ikr about who is the Big Icon today. I want to say Beyonce, but not really. Especially not this year, so far. If I was a child/teen today in 2018 I would be still liking everything I like now: Stars like Gaga and Lana that I discovered as a preteen, turn of the century stars like Britney, and all of the rockstars, pop stars that made the older music I’ve loved through my life: 60s-90s and beyond. I don’t think I’d pick one of the 5H girls to stan or look up to internet celebrities like Bhad Bhabie/Cash Me ousside Girl. And I’m definitely sad that everyone’s picking safety over making unique, controversial and subversive art, or even saying something a little scandalous now and then. I feel like the craziest thing to happen since 2013 was Azaelia Banks killing chickens in her closet. 

StrawberryBlond
26 minutes ago, OctobersRust said:

I agree with everything here! On the Dua Lipa thing, god me too. I’m 21, so I suppose I’m in Dua’s target audience, in fact Dua herself is only 22, but even though I’m experienced and a little wild, I’m not at all the person in that song. I have never obsessed over an ex-flame like that or holding on to someone not worth my time. I’m also puzzled when I hear teens (I have a sibling in HS) discuss relationships and dating under the umbrella of “talking”, and the whole “girl/man that’s not my girl/man” phenomenon. It’s weird, or maybe you and I are the weird ones! :derpga: But weird is good. I hope all goes to plan with you! 

And ikr about who is the Big Icon today. I want to say Beyonce, but not really. Especially not this year, so far. If I was a child/teen today in 2018 I would be still liking everything I like now: Stars like Gaga and Lana that I discovered as a preteen, turn of the century stars like Britney, and all of the rockstars, pop stars that made the older music I’ve loved through my life: 60s-90s and beyond. I don’t think I’d pick one of the 5H girls to stan or look up to internet celebrities like Bhad Bhabie/Cash Me ousside Girl. And I’m definitely sad that everyone’s picking safety over making unique, controversial and subversive art, or even saying something a little scandalous now and then. I feel like the craziest thing to happen since 2013 was Azaelia Banks killing chickens in her closet. 

Yeah, even when you're in the target demographic and yet can't relate, it feels weird. To think people years younger than me are so much more experienced makes me so depressed at times! I don't know how I'd even get into a situation where I didn't know if I was a guy's friend or more than that and was always "waking up in his bed in the morning" despite promising to just be friends. It's like, get it together and work out what you want! I'd feel rather embarrassed to put a song like that out, it's just a bit too personally specific. What do you mean discussing relationships and dating under the umbrella of "talking?"

Never got the fuss over Beyonce, not even back in the day. I don't know if I'd love Britney's older stuff as much as I do if I was younger right now because we look at old music through a different lens when we're not of that generation. My favourites went in this order - Spice Girls, Britney, Xtina, Gaga/Lana. I've not had many over the years and I don't see any new obsessions developing any time soon. Yeah, true, love her or hate her, Azealia has certainly never been boring. But even she's gone quiet as of late. Maybe her label finally sat her down and gave her a huge warning. Anyone who takes a risk these days are underground artists and they're well...underground. Honestly, it depresses me how some a singer on X Factor last year is more talented than the majority of those with record deals. Look up Kevin Davy White's performances. These are some of the greatest music performances I have ever seen, period. How he has never had a record deal in his native France or Britain is beyond me. What I'd give to see someone of his talent performing on all the big music awards shows right now.

Phlop

I feel so old. Gaga became a thing when I was 19 and starting to go out. In my 20-23 she was blasted in the clubs.

Now I’m 29 and Gaga isn’t a pop event anymore.

BYE

1 hour ago, OctobersRust said:

I’ve been around friends’s 11 year old siblings singing “Havana” who don’t know barely anything about Britney. 

Britney is going to be known for perfumes first before music to the younger generation(s).

)Although that is arguably a good thing for Britney.) 

brit4ever
10 hours ago, mzncb said:

Britney is going to be known for perfumes first before music to the younger generation(s).

)Although that is arguably a good thing for Britney.) 

Well, at some age they will hear/learn abot BOMT, OIDIA, Toxic and her head shaving, but that's it. It's still something though, no one stays relevant/releases hits 4-5 decades or more.

Born To Slay

It makes me feel old tbh and I'm only 18. I remember pop music was awesome, not I'm stuck listening to ****ing basic, average stuff because that's all pop music in 2018 wants to give.

Archived