💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Streaming is Hurting Meghan

DiscoHeaven23

Featured Posts

DiscoHeaven23

Meghan Trainor's new single "No Excuses" can be seen on the top of the chart on iTunes (until Hoda released that song today, now it's #2). The song is growing exponentially on radio, gaining over 400 spins today on pop radio. That's the most of any song today. It currently is at #31 on Kworb's pop chart. Quite good for a song released only one week ago. 

TatteredGroundedAtlanticsharpnosepuffer.

But alas, the song is failing on streaming. It hasn't reached the top 50 on Spotify in the US and only has 3 million streams worldwide. The video has been out for a week and doesn't even have 10 million views worldwide. Back in the day, Meghan's iTunes performance and radio would've given her a top 10 hit in the first week. But because of streaming, it won't happen.

In the 1979, they said video killed the radio star. Well in 2018, streaming killed the pop star. 

Do you agree with that last statement? 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ryanripley

streaming really shook sh*t up

some have benefited greatly, some are suffering

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

Glamourpuss

I used to be against streaming but I wouldn't have even listened to her music otherwise. 

DiscoHeaven23

It's sad to me because aside from Ariana, Meghan was one of the last hopes for veteran pop girls to survive (singles wise). 

They're being taken out one by one because of streaming. 

Matangi
Just now, DiscoHeaven23 said:

It's sad to me because aside from Ariana, Meghan was one of the last hopes for veteran pop girls to survive (singles wise). 

rihanna says hello

nick4bty

Yeah, BB needs to figure something else, because every single pop star, literally EVERY SINGLE POP STAR, is being knocked out by streaming. BB charts are supposed to represent all audiences, and currently it only seems to represent the ones that listen to urban music on Spotify.

ryanripley

i have to say though, if this was 2008 and all our pop girls were streaming forces we would be here for it

i can't stand about 90% of what dominates the charts now

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

Matangi

streaming has highlighted what is culturally largest at a given time, and i much rather that than what stations are paid to play or not. streaming didn't kill the popstar, just the idea of what a popstar is to most ggd users. plenty of pop stars are dominating streaming as well as being culturally significant (ex. rihanna, the weeknd, drake)

Mister Gaga
4 minutes ago, DiscoHeaven23 said:

and gaga, as usual, was the first one :whitney: still setting trends as the first pop star to be taken down because of streaming :whitney:

DiscoHeaven23
7 minutes ago, Matangi said:

rihanna says hello

she's more urban now imo

4 minutes ago, Matangi said:

streaming has highlighted what is culturally largest at a given time, and i much rather that than what stations are paid to play or not. streaming didn't kill the popstar, just the idea of what a popstar is to most ggd users. plenty of pop stars are dominating streaming as well as being culturally significant (ex. rihanna, the weeknd, drake)

This. People here only hate streaming because bubblegum pop music is not at the center of it, but isn't it the most fair way of really knowing what people are listening to?

Matangi
2 minutes ago, DiscoHeaven23 said:

she's more urban now imo

she is urban as well as pop. definitely a "pop"star

DiscoHeaven23
5 minutes ago, Matangi said:

ex. rihanna, the weeknd, drake)

These are urban/hip-hop acts

Just check the Grammys nomination categories of the last three years.

3 minutes ago, DiscoHeaven23 said:

These are urban/hip-hop acts

Just check the Grammys nomination categories of the last three years.

You misspelled "black"

Billboard is supposed to track what is popular at the moment and for now urban music and EDM dj featured songs are what's hot. If Spotify was a huge thing back in 2008-2012 I'm sure many pop stars would slay. This is just the way the market works. It's a cycle of different trends and right now Urban is dominating like the early 2000s. Music is a cyclical process. 

Archived