💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Why is pop music 'getting worse'?

RadioIsOurs

Featured Posts

RadioIsOurs

I just saw this video, which was released last year:

and while many people in the comments seem to agree, I thought it's an absolute waste of an opportunity. Most of the facts presented seem to be stuck in 2010 with examples like Britney Spears, Katy Perry and even Gaga. I remember back then when people were talking about how pop music sucked, and the explanations they gave are pretty similar to these ones: they are too basic, they are producing for the masses, lyrics are too shallow etc. 

Yes, I for one do agree that pop music has gotten worse, but not just because of the reasons above. Some of those examples given have actually produced some of the catchiest pop songs of this century! Yeah, I know Britney Spears is the epitome of manufactured pop, but are we are gonna sit here and pretend that she did not actually start her career with iconic bops like Baby One More Time? The thing is, I feel that mainstream pop music is actually no longer delivering what it used to promise.

Since around 2016, I've noticed the decline in quality; they are somehow becoming more boring and just less 'pleasant' in general. Just take a look at the current top 40 of the Hot 100 and tell me you find most of it enjoyable? Isn't it a coincidence that used-to-be-huge pop artists such as Gaga and Katy, as well as the two producers cited in the video, Max Martin and Dr. Puke, are no longer so prominent in pop music since then? So if the creators behind these so called uninspired pop music are fading away, then why is it only getting worse? Is the current pop industry just in a mess rn after the loss of these people, or has it got to do with my poor taste and that pop music is actually objectively getting better?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KyliesChild

As time progresses, it is going to become easier to become famous and attain that status for a long time due to social media. This leads to "singers" who are not as great as their predecessors who have fought extremely hard to be where they're at today. However, it's illogical to assume that "garbage" pop music has not been prominent for decades. Simply because pop artists are not popular at the moment does not mean that the newer artists are worse than them. When Gaga was releasing bangers such as "Poker Face", Taio Cruz made "Dynamite" for example

RadioIsOurs
18 minutes ago, KyliesChild said:

As time progresses, it is going to become easier to become famous and attain that status for a long time due to social media. This leads to "singers" who are not as great as their predecessors who have fought extremely hard to be where they're at today. However, it's illogical to assume that "garbage" pop music has not been prominent for decades. Simply because pop artists are not popular at the moment does not mean that the newer artists are worse than them. 

I agree. Many people in the comments are saying how bands like Nirvana, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath are so much better, but they aren't really pop artists are they? If you are taking about idols like Katy, Bieber and Britney, why not bring up examples like Madonna, David Cassidy or MJ?

I feel like being a pop star is not a thing anymore like it used to be, it's a thing we should get used to, we are in the streaming era

... and now i just sit in silence.

gagzus

I think it’s also to do with the biggest popstars being males now, males seem to take less risks and don’t make performances and looks etc everyone just slaps some auto tune on them and makes a quick rap song when they have 20k followers or more on social media and viola, thanks to streaming.

The only popstars I find interesting from the new generation aren’t even THAT popular because they’re LGBT like Troye Sivan or Kim Petras, or the ones who still excite me ala Charli who experiment aren’t popular enough to have mainstream impact.

Then we come to the good old faves, they’re older now so nobody really cares anymore and doesn’t find them relatable now because they’re women and not young adults or teenagers anymore. Gaga stripped back and made an adult record but the main pop audience is still mid-late teens, Beyonce has lost a lot of her mainstream appeal now for making more adult music too, Katy the same. Rihanna is the last one standing and now she’s not “young” by pop standards anymore and is relying on her looks, time will only tell if she fizzles out too

RadioIsOurs
10 minutes ago, Antonoff said:

I feel like being a pop star is not a thing anymore like it used to be, it's a thing we should get used to, we are in the streaming era

True. I think it's actually pretty similar to eras like the mid 2000s and the early 90s, which I never really liked anyways. Perhaps things will get better soon.

venusfly

Less melodic “toned back” songs tend to do the best on streaming services right now, last generations pop stars are trying to tap into this without much success. 

The Surrealist
8 minutes ago, AndyGa said:

We went from Gaga and Katy to Ed and Ariana that's why 

And what's the difference? Ed and Ariana are also talented singers.

5 minutes ago, The Surrealist said:

And what's the difference? Ed and Ariana are also talented singers.

They are talented to you 

The Surrealist
1 minute ago, AndyGa said:

They are talented to you 

I'm pretty sure judging on their sales, popularity, followers, impact, views and accolades, that they are pretty talented to a lot of people.

Archived