💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Nelly Furtado has the best album of 2017

pedrohemg

Featured Posts

pedrohemg

I'm writing this thread almost crying after listening to her latest album again. I feel so much for her. Such a good work, but unfortunately almost anyone cares because she's irrelevant now.

I think everyone here knows how she rose to fame, right? Her first album "Whoa, Nelly" was released in 2000 with the smash hit "I'm like a bird" in which gave her the Grammy of Best Pop Vocal Performance.

But the beginning of her reign was in 2005 with her worldwide hit Promiscuous Girl, from her well acclaimed album Loose. This was also the beginning of one of the most successful feats of all time, since her collabs with Timbaland gave her THREE BB #1 hits with Promiscuous Girl, Say It Right, and Give It to Me (also featuring Justin Timberlake). Between 2005 and 2007 there wasn't any female singer more famous and relevant than Nelly. The pop scene was all about her.

Her downfall started when she decided to do her music, without worrying about what the industry was demanding. Then she released a spanish album in 2009, Mi Plan, and six years after her last english album, she released The Spirit Indestructible in 2012. Six years is like an eternity for pop singers, her career was basically dead at that time.

The Ride (2017)

I'm not good at reviewing albums, so I'll be brief. I'll just say what I feel when I listen to it. It makes me very emotional and I always want to cry with "Carnival Games" and "Sticks and Stones". It's an album that will probably make you a little bit sad but in a good way if you can understand me. There are times we need this kinda feeling to think about our life, our problems, or just to relax. All the songs have meaningful lyrics and I can't point a single filler in this album. It's really worth listening all the 12 tracks.

So, I needed to create this thread. I love Nelly so much and I'll never forget her legacy. Always a QUEEN for me.

Ferrer Zorola

Say it right is still THAT song

maneater and promiscuous girl are THE bops

but you can’t blame us for not being interested in this record... the few songs I listened didn’t make me want to hear the full thing 

LIFE IS GOOD

pedrohemg
4 minutes ago, Ferrer Zorola said:

Say it right is still THAT song

maneater and promiscuous girl are THE bops

but you can’t blame us for not being interested in this record... the few songs I listened didn’t make me want to hear the full thing 

at least you know The Ride exists. She doesn't have the support of a big record Label, she's on her own now.

this thread is made for me

Nelly was my fave before Gaga and she's still up there. 

I've always loved her approach in music ever since Whoa! Nelly (yes, including the criminally underrated The Spirit Indestructible).

Petrichor

Not hating on Nelly; just offering a dissenting opinion. Her album was good but the sound at times a bit flummoxing, and I feel with other albums from amazing female musicians like St. Vincent and Lorde, it wasn’t truly the best, but still very good!

GPSSIGNALLOST

"The Ride" was not a real let down, it was just a risky move.
I've enjoyed her music ever since she broke through with "I'm Like A Bird" and I was rooting for every single album.
Although "The Spirit Indestructible" was also a bold move - just sayin'.

The "Loose" era was just a mainstream success and she made clear she is a wholesome artist.

These two songs ("Carnival Games" and "Sticks And Stones") are preferably the only songs worth to listen to. 
In its entirety the album is a more an experiment and less a solid construct of what Nelly is capable to deliver.

It's good to see other people trying to face her album. I always thought I might be alone with that.
But it's - in all objective honesty - neither 2017's best album nor Nelly's best work.
She can do better. Really, though.

ok I like Nelly, but my relationship with her is complicated. the thing is, I can't stand her voice, it's annoying me. but there are some specific songs where I can enjoy her voice.. it didn't happen in the last album unfortunately..

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

narcoswing

i love tea <3

Bliss is the best song of this album and honestly it's among her top 10 best songs. Didn't deserve the vinyl deluxe edition treatment:emma:. Magic, Flatline and Sticks and Stones are great too and S&S is apparently being remixed and serviced to UK radios later this year

IAmNotHere1997

I didn't listened to album yet but I want it because I like the artwork and I listened like 2-3 seconds snippets from it

Villanelle

I sometimes sit and wonder if Say It Right is the greatest song of all time.

It's simplicity makes it complex af

Archived