💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Is the British pop dead?

River

Featured Posts

As a 90s kid I remember that my music library was full of British artists and now.. it's like they don't exist..

What we have today? Adele, Ed Sheeran, Coldplay? I consider them more as a US pop then a British pop..

Little Mix? their succeed is not big as the old girl bands and their music is too US too..

So what happened?

And not only, the UK Garage is totally dead for more than 10 years..

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

youandi

What do you mean when you mention British artists but say they're US music?

And there's a lot of people I think do well but I live in the UK so they might not be global artists! 

There's also Marina, Dua Lipa, Harry Styles, Sam Smith, Florence, Paloma Faith, Rita Ora, Jess Glyne, Calvin Harris, Lily Allen and Charli XCX I'd say they're all popular in some way or another 

Im sorry but how does ed sheeran sound like us pop he even sings grass with a posh english accent. I feel like him adele and even coldplay at times exaggerate their britishness. 

Saint Laurent

Are you from Britain? If not, one could begin to understand why you feel this way.

The British music you hear and see while you're in a different country is not at all reflective of the state of British music as a whole and tbh as long as artists like Lily Allen are still releasing music, Brit-pop will always be alive for me.

Nevertheless, just like every other country's music market, Britain's is evolving. Some of it is going in the direction of 'DJ' type music or whatever (Jax Jones), while a large proportion of it has gone in the direction of grime and MCing (Stormzy).

It's still very much present and there's a lot more out there than Adele and Ed Sheeran, perhaps you just don't know about them because you're not here?

holy scheisse

You should check out the UK charts and see what people from there are listening to bc I assure you they still have musicians and artists playing on the radio and making music:triggered: they are just not crossing over into whatever country you are in, i guess??

TheWitness
On 20 February 2018 at 10:54 PM, UK Monster said:

She is the queen of UK music tbf

It's deserved Anywhere is THAT bop

Host Of Lyricasism

Saint Laurent
2 minutes ago, TheWitness said:

Go bless yourself with Rita Ora

3 minutes ago, ryanripley said:

does dua lipa count?

3 minutes ago, youandi said:

What do you mean when you mention British artists but say they're US music?

And there's a lot of people I think do well but I live in the UK so they might not be global artists! 

There's also Marina, Dua Lipa, Harry Styles and Charli XCX I'd say they're all popular in some way or another 

I think the OP would class all of the above as US-style music, or rather, that their creators are pandering to the US market, which I'd be inclined to agree with. So, they can't really be classed as Brit-pop.

youandi
8 minutes ago, Saint Laurent said:

I think the OP would class all of the above as US-style music, or rather, that their creators are pandering to the US market, which I'd be inclined to agree with. So, they can't really be classed as Brit-pop.

Right, well one, when you say 'Brit-pop' do you mean British Pop Music or do you mean the genre 'Brit-pop' which covers bands like Blur and Oasis? 

And two, I wouldn't say they're catering for the US at all, obviously most of them have engineered their music to be popular, but if they're British and making pop music, it is not US pop, it's British

8 minutes ago, Saint Laurent said:

Wait what 🙉 So if a Japanese band play Rock music does that mean they’re not really playing Japanese music because the USA has rock music too? There’s only so many genres and America doesn’t own any of them 😂

Saint Laurent
1 minute ago, youandi said:

Right, well one, when you say 'Brit-pop' do you mean British Pop Music or do you mean the genre 'Brit-pop' which covers bands like Blur and Oasis? 

And two. I wouldn't say they're catering for the US at all, obviously most of them have engineered their music to be popular, but if they're British and making pop music, it is not US pop, it's British

I mean the generally understood nature of British pop music: quirky, less commercial than US pop music (think Lily Allen, Amy Winehouse, Jessie J in her early years even Adele to some extent in her early years) etc.

All of the above are clearly not comparable to, for example, Little Mix, who create music that is inspired by, and intended to penetrate, the US market. It's not a bad thing at all, it just means that they no longer create music that I would personally define as Brit-pop.

Saint Laurent
Just now, Karl said:

Wait what 🙉 So if a Japanese band play Rock music does that mean they’re not really playing Japanese music because the USA has rock music too? There’s only so many genres and America doesn’t own any of them 😂

What the hell are you talking about? :triggered:

The difference between US pop music and British pop music traditionally is considerable, which is why I've referred consistently to both US-style pop music and Brit-pop as two distinct sub categories of pop music.

Seriously, learn to read. :saladga:

Archived