A Star Is Born
Sign in to follow this  
politics

Iceland to ban male circumcision

Featured Posts

Melech   Paws Up 7,342
Melech

"Iceland is poised to become the first European country to outlaw male circumcision amid signs that the ritual common to both Judaism and Islam may be a new battleground over religious freedom.

A bill currently before the Icelandic parliament proposes a penalty of up to six years in prison for anyone carrying out a circumcision other than for medical reasons. Critics say the move, which has sparked alarm among religious leaders across Europe, would make life for Jews and Muslims in Iceland unsustainable.

One in three men globally is thought to be circumcised, the vast majority for religious or cultural reasons. Many Jews and Muslims fear the issue of circumcision could become a proxy for antisemitism and Islamophobia, pointing to similar tensions over religious dress and the ritual slaughter of animals for meat.

Muslim and Jewish leaders attacked the proposal, while Cardinal Reinhard Marx, president of the Catholic Church in the European Union, said the bill was a “dangerous attack” on religious freedom. “The criminalisation of circumcision is a very grave measure that raises deep concern.”

The Icelandic bill says the circumcision of young boys violates their rights and is incompatible with the United Nations convention on the rights of the child. It draws a parallel with female genital mutilation, already outlawed in most European countries.

The bill says circumcisions are performed without anaesthesia, and claims the procedure is often carried out “in homes that are not sterile, and not by doctors but by religious leaders. There is a high risk of infections under such conditions that may lead to death.”

It acknowledges that while parents have the right to give religious guidance to their children, “such a right can never exceed the rights of the child”. Boys who wish to be circumcised for religious or cultural reasons can do so when they reach an age at which they “understand what is involved in such an action”, it suggests.

Iceland’s population of about 336,000 includes tiny Jewish and Muslim communities. There are thought to be some 250 Jews and about 1,500 Muslims.

Silja Dögg Gunnarsdóttir of the centre-right Progressive party said she had proposed the bill after realising that there was no ban on male circumcision although FGM has been outlawed in Iceland since 2005. “If we have laws banning circumcision for girls, then we should do so for boys,” she said.

We are talking about children’s rights, not about freedom of belief. Everyone has the right to believe in what they want, but the rights of children come above the right to belief.”

Nordic countries had well-deserved reputations for promoting human rights, she added. “If Iceland backs this, I think other countries will follow.”

The issue of circumcision has been raised in other European countries but none has outlawed it.

The Icelandic bill on circumcision has cross-party backing and wide public support, Gunnarsdóttir said. If it passes its first reading, the bill will go into committee stage for several months before it can become law."

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/feb/18/iceland-ban-male-circumcision-first-european-country

This usually is a heating discussion, so y'all better give me that hit thread :neyde:

• Like 7
  • YAAAS 7
  • Love 8
  • Shook 1
  • Sad 2

ryanripley   Paws Up 69,552
ryanripley

thank god!

but can babies still get them for medical reasons? it's cool that they allow boys to decide once they reach a certain age

i think circumcising a baby is only okay if it's needed

Edited by ryanripley
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2
https://goo.gl/wFxoYL

sipthistea   Paws Up 15,286
sipthistea

But what if people need the procedure to solve a health problem? :oprah:

• Like 1

PsychicGuru   Paws Up 1,267
PsychicGuru
3 minutes ago, Bad Monster Kid said:

My aardvark approves of this. 

:ladyhaha: same

• YAAAS 1
Gaga's #1 fan

Melech   Paws Up 7,342
Melech
6 minutes ago, ryanripley said:

thank god!

but can babies still get them for medical reasons? it's cool that they allow boys to decide once they reach a certain age

3 minutes ago, sipthistea said:

But what if people need the procedure to solve a health problem? :oprah:

For medical reasons it will be still legal. The law makes it illegal to circumcize (idk how to write that word properly in english :poot: ) for personal/religious reasons. 

Edited by Melech
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

thierryrreiht   Paws Up 9,951
thierryrreiht
10 minutes ago, Melech said:

but the rights of children come above the right to belief.

This

• Like 14
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Melech   Paws Up 7,342
Melech
6 minutes ago, Bad Monster Kid said:

My aardvark approves of this. 

aardvark.jpg

:poot:

• LMAO 22
  • Shook 2

Sneaky Oliver   Paws Up 4,517
Sneaky Oliver

I still don’t understand the meaning behind it :interestinga: it’s not common in my country (I think) 

• Like 4

Korok   Paws Up 3,388
Korok

Good.

I don't understand why we're still mutilating a child's genitals in 2018 without their consent. I think the whole idea is barbaric, especially when its not done by a medical professional. :duck:

• Like 37
  • Love 1

Melech   Paws Up 7,342
Melech
Just now, Sneaky Oliver said:

I still don’t understand the meaning behind it :interestinga: it’s not common in my country (I think) 

Meaning behind banning it or meaning behind circumcision in general?

Luxe Ford   Paws Up 2,735
Luxe Ford

A ban seems like a stretch, but I really think the indivudual should decide. There's mostly no need to snip off the foreskin. Hygiene? Well you *could* wash yourself properly. 

Circumsision desensitizes you down there sexually, too. And you need lotion for 'self work'  apparently. How messy and inconvenient! 

• Like 3
I don't try to be someone I'm not. I am someone I try not to be.

IndieKylie   Paws Up 7,751
IndieKylie

What's the best thing about being a Mohel? They get to keep the tips! :trollga:

• LMAO 2

PerfectGUY   Paws Up 1,744
PerfectGUY
13 minutes ago, ryanripley said:

thank god!

@Korok

1) it hurts like hell when boys are older so there's no way they should get it older

2) my dad is a urologist surgeon and circumcision is actually 100000000x better for their health and on the opposite studies show that it would be better for health concerns that every boy gets circumsised a few days after birth

Edited by PerfectGUY
  • Like 16
  • LMAO 8
  • Shook 1
  • Sad 1