Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Was the fanbase too young for Joanne ?

Oriane

Featured Posts

rumours
20 minutes ago, PrincessDiez said:

That she's not a great lyricist perhaps

She's certainly better than average. I don't know if I'd say she is a "great" lyricist, though. 

To each their own I guess :hug:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gagadonna
44 minutes ago, Oriane said:

Of course. I personally love Joanne and I understand the lyrics, but I don't feel them. I know it will take a whole other meaning to me when I get older.

and that's 100% fine. You can appreciate it without relating to it :hug: 

I used to listen to Million Reasons and Perfect Illusion all the time but I couldn't relate to the lyrics until I experienced some love story that changed my whole perception of the two songs. They are very special to me now. 

Kimblue
3 minutes ago, Rumours1977 said:

She's certainly better than average. I don't know if I'd say she is a "great" lyricist, though. 

You appreciate it more after listening to Man of the Woods

I don't know if it's totally an age thing, maybe just partially. I was 25 when Joanne came out (26 now), and honestly, at first I pretty much rejected it. I thought it was too country, too "boring", etc, mainly because 1. I don't like country and 2. It was something totally different than I expected from her. I have to admit, I DID kind of distance myself from her... it wasn't until the SB in February 2017 that I kind of came back, and then she did her tour and I started stanning her again to the level I did when I was 18. I think overall, the album and era was more of a grower for me than love at first sight. However, Besides the first two albums, that's kind of how i was with all her albums, in a way. 

Lady Adga
1 hour ago, Gagadonna said:

You don't have to have experienced something to understand and appreciate it. 

Teas

I love Gaga, and i'm a middle aged man. Took me a few years to get into her but i could see she was a cut above other artists, and unique.

I've loved Cheek to Cheek and Joanne more than her other stuff, but i really like her earlier stuff too. I think the last two albums have got her new, older fans who can now hear that amazing voice clearly

Helxig

I never thought about this before, but I think you're right!

I was about 25 when Joanne came out and now I'm 26. I definitely know that I wouldn't have appreciated it as much when I was 18, there's now way. But as an adult I love this album a lot.

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.

Glamourpuss

Yes. While I understand there will be young fans mature enough to understand it, I feel as a 30 year old myself, that I can really identify with it. I've been through a difficult break up that was a perfect illusion and have also had to care for a loved one dying of cancer. I can totally understand Gaga's mindset when she made this record. It wasn't supposed to be about "bops". It seems that most of the young fans love ARTPOP whereas I was always yearning for something similar to Joanne. 

Jeroen Bloeming

I'm 16 and I love it. And the creative and emotional meaning behind the album. So age isn't really the cause of the underappreciation of Joanne

51 minutes ago, Oriane said:

But what surprises me is that all these years, as you've pointed out, she did many acoustic performances, she had ballads in every album, she always showed us she was more than just a pop girl with bops, with theatrics and crazy outfits. So what, did people not like this more "authentic" side of her all these years ?

Also, I don't know if the OP made you think I thought this way, but I don't think any genre is inherently superior to another. But the problem is, it's so much easier to "fake" musical talent with "catchy" sounds, electronic music, voice modifiers etc. There are a lot of musical artists right now who get popular with music that's just not good... But with more "authentic" genres, it's more difficult to do this. You can't hide behind a catchy beat, there's got to be some musical structure. My favorite albums in order would be Born this Way, ARTPOP and Joanne. And I'm not a fan of electronic music usually, but I think she used it very well in these albums. On the other hand, I think The Fame and The Fame Monster are weaker. Even Brown Eyes and Speechless feel less good than her most recent ballads.

To respond to the first section of what you wrote, I personally don’t think having a “stripped back” album, or whatever style you would call Joanne, authentic. At all. 

She has made sure that for each and every single album she has released, to host about how it’s “the real her, the most authentic”, etc etc. she literally says it every single album cycle. 

Taking away production in a studio doesn’t automatically make something “authentic”. 

And I’ve always enjoyed her ballads. Captivated is one of my favorite ballads by her. Gaga making an album that comprises more of ballads doesn’t mean that the ballads are good. 

In regards to the second part, I whole disagree with you. Music production is not simple AT ALL. Both myself and my boyfriend deal with production, and that sh*t is extremely hard. We’ve spent hours and hours on a piece which is only 30 seconds long so far. And “hiding behind a beat” sounds pretty harsh. One genre is not more authentic than another genre, electronic music is not less sophisticated or innovative than anything else. Electronic music is just an easy target to the general public, which is bullshit. 

And IMO, TFM remains her best, with TF and BTW tied behind it. AP is good but I found a lot of the production to be a step down from previous albums. 

49 minutes ago, Edonis said:

Same. I really don’t understand the snobbery some fans have. I’ve grown up around several kinds of music, and enjoy most genres out there (literally from metal to J-Pop) but, like, I don’t understand why so many members think that suddenly one form of music is more or less authentic. Or that it would be immature or absurd to want Gaga to return to her mainstream debut style of music. I didn’t electronic or dance music could only be a vehicle for shaking your ass at a club. Literally 80% of her mainstream career said otherwise, but okay I guess. 

It’s just an easy target, for whatever crap reason. And if someone wants to go out and cut loose at a club to a Gaga dance banger to feel free, I see no issue with that. I’m personally better able to cut loose while dancing than sitting there in the dark listening to her sing a ballad. But that’s just me. 

47 minutes ago, Rumours1977 said:

Gaga is an excellent and clever lyricist when she wants to be. People talk sh*t about her lyrics on The Fame when they remain to this day some of her best. This site currently consists of a large number of new fans who came into the fold with Joanne and like to talk sh*t about everything that came before.

The Queen shows that her lyrics can be as abstract and innovative like no other  

AlexanderMagno

No.

It's quite the opposite.

Her fanbase is old enough to understand that Gaga is a pop star and not the "best friend that's always there for me and has nothing similar to other pop stars". It's also old enough to understand there are hundreds of different artists in the world and what Gaga has been doing lately is not uppar to what she has done in the past.

bloody g

Here comes the tea:

Joanne will be a highlight on Gaga's discography. There is a certain pattern in Gaga's eras: 

Album drops - Fans love it - Era starts - Fans slowly start disliking it - Era ends - Album is a 50/50 among fans - some years go by and new era begins - "wow last album was so good I can't believe some people didn't like it". Everyone loves it

The blacklash BTW and ARTPOP got from this very own fanbase is not even close to what Joanne got during its era. So yeah, Joanne will be remembered as one of her best albums with one of her most iconic eras, looks, and beautiful music.

『𝐟𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐛𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐝』

I think this fan base is actually pretty old tbh. When you compare fan bases of other popgirls and LM you can see that Gaga's fans are pretty old. 

I just think this album was not well received among fans because her vocals were too rough on a lot of the songs and because it was a departure from what she was primarily known for. Add to the fact that the visuals and her looks were a little underwhelming (at least in the begining of the era). 

Personally I loved this album and I am young. 

Cavadour
1 hour ago, Mikw said:

I think the last two albums have got her new, older fans who can now hear that amazing voice clearly

True. As musician and movie & TV series addict and collector, I wasn't aware of Gaga those past ten years outside of the meat dress and her Oh Oh Ohs and Rha Rhas I ided on the radio until AHS Hotel. My first reaction was : Sh*t what the heck do they need that girl. Is this season a sharkjump or what ? I reluctanly watched the first episode of the 5th season of my beloved series with clenched teeth. Guys, believe me, I've been instantly haunted by the glamour and deadly aura of the Countess. My eyes suddently opened and I realized what kind of monster was Gaga. Then came Joanne and I fell completly for that woman.

Otoh C2C sounds to me like a beautiful showcase of her vocal skills, but if I share some taste for old classics it's more her adorable friendhip with Tony I find touching. Pop, rock and country are more my taste anyway. Gaga has matured very fast. She's not - or trying to look like :lolly: - a teenager anymore. Her make-up at the Grammys some days ago was indeed making her look even older (fatigue and sickness I guess). Over the years, her voice has gained in power and presence and today she's earning more and more respect from older generations. It's a fact and she deserves it.

Let's now hope she will not grow too fast and burn the candle at both ends (ok, at least she's beyond 27 :blink:) Time for a good rest, my Queen.

I'm 63 btw (dare I write this here :ph34r: ?)

Late to the party but I got a diamond heart

SwissMonster
1 hour ago, PussyGlam said:

Yes. While I understand there will be young fans mature enough to understand it, I feel as a 30 year old myself, that I can really identify with it. I've been through a difficult break up that was a perfect illusion and have also had to care for a loved one dying of cancer. I can totally understand Gaga's mindset when she made this record. It wasn't supposed to be about "bops". It seems that most of the young fans love ARTPOP whereas I was always yearning for something similar to Joanne. 

2 hours ago, Helxig said:

I never thought about this before, but I think you're right!

I was about 25 when Joanne came out and now I'm 26. I definitely know that I wouldn't have appreciated it as much when I was 18, there's now way. But as an adult I love this album a lot.

It really gets me tired of adults thinking teenagers/young adults are not mentally ready for Joanne! Like what? That has nothing to do with the age! I know you (@pussyglam) said that there are mature ones. But your speaking about it as this are exceptions. No there are MANY young people like me struggeling with those problems, especially in this fanbase! It gets me tired (not just here) to see adults treat us (I am 19) as little kids ONLY living for the Bops and Mainstream media! I loved Joanne and feel it cause many things happened in my life. But I don’t agree that you have to experience the things to love the album! You can love it anyways and it don’t depends on the age AT ALL... Stop it!

Its nothing against you personally. I just don’t agree with what you said

SwissMonster®️ - Creating controversy since 1999

Archived