opinion

Oral Fixation (Shakira) - Megarate Submissions

The Bling

Featured Posts

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Bling

Thanks for participating already :kara::kara::kara: The ceremony will be MONDAY, 5th of March. I'll give the hour and a proper presentation 3 days before the big event :hor:

:gum:FIVE DAYS LEFT TO SUBMIT :gum:

Reminder to submit to:

Might be interested from my Early Shakira Performances thread:

Sigmund Freud, analyze this

On 2/8/2018 at 1:45 PM, The Bling said:

1. How Do You Do?

2. Illegal [ft. Carlos Santana]

3. Hips Don't Lie [ft. Wyclef Jean]

4. Animal City

5. Don't Bother

6. The Day And The Time

7. Dreams For Plans

8. Hey You

9. Your Embrace

10. Costume Makes The Clown

11. Something

12. Timor

I am a tough grader so some scores may seem "low" but for me like a 5 is good lol

1. How Do You Do 8.5/10 I LOVE the religious Greek-style church chanting. I also love the philosophical/ hypothetical questions she asks in this song. I also love how it sounds like 90's early 2000's pop rock type of stuff. That type of music is usually done by white artists and so hearing a latin accent in contrast to that type of music is always pleasant and I feel like for ppl who do not know that Shakira's roots were in rock would be most surprised by this!

2. Illegal 4.5/10 This song is so cute. It is like casual type of music and for some reason it gives me nostalgia even though I never heard this song on radio or anything. It didnt define any moment for me in life and yet I am attached to this song and it gives me a warm feeling inside. It is a little monotone but that is te point of it's genre. It sounds like cafe singer type of music. Well crafted for it's purpose. Not something i'd reach for though.

3. Hips Don't Lie 10/10 Literally one of the best bops in the history of man kind. I think everyone can agree on this. IT was huge and yet never felt annoying. Something about this song is pure sonic perfection. It hits all the right places in the brain. This song was like scientifically crafted to make u want to dance :selena: 

4. Animal City 6.5/10 I love the arabian style chanting in the begining and the spanish / andalusian guitar in the begining. I also like the rest of the song.  This too gives me nostalgia vibe but in a different way. It reminds me of music that would be in cartoons when I was young or something. I like the lyrics lol it has so much sarcasm and humor which is a key in Shaira's early english songs!

5. Don't Bother 10/10 This is a underrated gem. I like the awkward lyrics lol. It is a part of Shakira's english music charm. Just really adore it. It also feels like classic Shakira stuff. I also really like the lyricism in general..its so honest and written in such a raw way. IT feels like she stripped it out of her diary not that she was writing it as a song at first. It is honest...almost too honest. She even admits her own flaws and insecurities in the song and compares herself so much to the "other" girl. I LOVE IT.

6.  The Day and Time 10/10 I love the way she sings in this song. Her vocals are so pretty here. I also like the lyrics of course but this song does it more for me because of the melody and her voice here. This song reminds me of French pop music.

7. Dreams For Plans 7.5/10 I love the lyrics on this one. It captures the feeling of nostalgia, longing and regret without being so dramatic. It feels like a very realistic take on those feelings. I like how it also talks about how time changes all dynamics of every relationships "have we changed our dreams for plans"...that's so sad but true. At first there is hope and love and then things change and realitiy kicks in and the phase of blind love dissapears and that is a part of what kills most relationships I think. When the puppy love disappears the magic changes and it gets boring. This also reminds me of french pop music. Something about the arrangement reminds me of french album deep cuts / album tracks.

8. Hey You 6/10 Love the instrumentals and I like the lyrics. Again it is one of those songs that remind me of 90s and 2000s pop rock music. Also it reminds me of like those dark cartoons music you watch as a kid and then years later when u grow up u notice how twisted and dark the show was :selena: but yeah that's what the music reminds me of. I dont know how to explain it :selena: Also it reminds me of circus music..idk why lol

9. Your Embrace 5/10 OMG the intro is hilarious "tell me what's the use of having a 24 inch waste" :laughga: SO REAL! this is what I am talking about her lyricism. It is awkward but in the best way lol! it's signature her. IT feels so sarcastic! love it. 

10. Costume Makes The Clown 8.5/10 This song I think was a awakaning moment for her. During this era she was way less manufactured than Laundry Service. She was wearing like no make up a lot of the time, wasnt wearing the tight leather pants and tons of jewelery and her hair wasnt as bleached. She was way more natural and I think Costume Makes The Clown was a reflection of how she was feeling in that point. I guess this more natural and "honest" visual / look was also reflective in her music because with CMTC she literally admits or hints to cheating, to not being perfect etc...I guess this song and era in general was Shakira at her realest like EVER. She didnt give a damn anymore. She was raw and this song reflected her the most. I guess if someone asked me to pick a song to represent Shakira the most in that era I'd say Costume Makes The Clown. 

11. Something 8.5/10 WAIT! so she speaks french in the begining. I just noticed for some reason. I guess she was also vibing to french music while making this album. That's why I get so much french pop music influences in the album! slay. Love this song. This song's lyrics are so beautiful. They capture that emotion of unexpected love so well. It makes me hopeful a little bit because Shakira was already like in her late 20's here and yet she seems to be singin about that type of love u usually only get as a late teen / early 20s. So I guess you feels this butterflies in your stomach even when u are older. Guess this song helps validate why I am pushing away all the potential lovers away cuz like I can wait like Shakira and eventually find that emotion again :poot: it is dangerous validation for me lol :selena:

12. Timor 10/10 From the lyrics, to the melody, to the instrumentals this song is pure genius. Again another French pop sounding song. This song always invoked something in me even as a kid and I didnt understand anything of this lol. I love how this talks about everyone who is struggling and being forgotten. East Timor is only used as an example or an "umbrella term". She is talking about all the victims of war, poverty etc...It is a criticism on society in general. 

The Bling
11 minutes ago, dit said:

10. Costume Makes The Clown 8.5/10 This song I think was a awakaning moment for her. During this era she was way less manufactured than Laundry Service. She was wearing like no make up a lot of the time, wasnt wearing the tight leather pants and tons of jewelery and her hair wasnt as bleached. She was way more natural and I think Costume Makes The Clown was a reflection of how she was feeling in that point. I guess this more natural and "honest" visual / look was also reflective in her music because with CMTC she literally admits or hints to cheating, to not being perfect etc...I guess this song and era in general was Shakira at her realest like EVER. She didnt give a damn anymore. She was raw and this song reflected her the most. I guess if someone asked me to pick a song to represent Shakira the most in that era I'd say Costume Makes The Clown.

First of all, let me say ALL of your commentary was BRILLIANT :giveup: It made me appreciate these songs and the album as a whole even more than I already did; seriously, on point

But your Costume Makes The Clown commentary was spot on. Wow. Iconic QUEEN I stan you :pray:

I'll add my interpretation of CMTC when I release the results; I believe it's the most interesting song in the album, yet many people fail to realize it :diane:

5 minutes ago, The Bling said:

First of all, let me say ALL of your commentary was BRILLIANT :giveup: It made me appreciate these songs and the album as a whole even more than I already did; seriously, on point

But your Costume Makes The Clown commentary was spot on. Wow. Iconic QUEEN I stan you :pray:

I'll add my interpretation of CMTC when I release the results; I believe it's the most interesting song in the album, yet many people fail to realize it :diane:

OMG thank you and I love you :heart::cryga:  listening to this album again as I was writing my review really helped me drain out all the way I was feelin for all of these years about these songs. 

I am looking forward to your explanation too and thank you for opening this and getting me involved. It reminded me of how brilliant Oral Vol 1 & 2 were in general. Those albums are pure genius. From the concept to the music itself. It is her opus I think :giveup: 

The Bling
8 minutes ago, dit said:

OMG thank you and I love you :heart::cryga:  listening to this album again as I was writing my review really helped me drain out all the way I was feelin for all of these years about these songs. 

I am looking forward to your explanation too and thank you for opening this and getting me involved. It reminded me of how brilliant Oral Vol 1 & 2 were in general. Those albums are pure genius. From the concept to the music itself. It is her opus I think :giveup: 

No I love you :cryga::cryga::cryga: thanks for blessing us all with these iconic results and commentary :worship2::worship2::worship2:

Looks like I miscalculated, the results will come out on Monday :ladyhaha: Please stay perchedT

And I agree too, Oral Fixation (both volumes) are her magnus opus by far :tony::tony::tony: Iconic QUEEN we stan. Next megarate will be the 1st Volume btw :hor: I'll start it as soon as we close this one

1 minute ago, The Bling said:

No I love you :cryga::cryga::cryga: thanks for blessing us all with these iconic results and commentary :worship2::worship2::worship2:

Looks like I miscalculated, the results will come out on Monday :ladyhaha: Please stay perchedT

And I agree too, Oral Fixation (both volumes) are her magnus opus by far :tony::tony::tony: Iconic QUEEN we stan. Next megarate will be the 1st Volume btw :hor: I'll start it as soon as we close this one

OMG :cryga: let's just get married and stan Shakira music together :cryga::heart: (did I take it too far? :poot:

but yas! you better INBOX me this time for both the results AND the other megarate lol! I have a whole load of opinions about Vol1 because I think I prefer it even more than Vol 2 even though I adore both.

The Bling
50 minutes ago, dit said:

OMG :cryga: let's just get married and stan Shakira music together :cryga::heart: (did I take it too far? :poot:

but yas! you better INBOX me this time for both the results AND the other megarate lol! I have a whole load of opinions about Vol1 because I think I prefer it even more than Vol 2 even though I adore both.

Well you got me :gaycat: I'm waiting for my marriage proposal :hor: Shakira's waiting too :classy:

Oh I'll make sure to inbox yoy don't worry :hug: This time I won't mess it up

Volume 1 is so interesting, and... I don't even know how to describe it, it's like so experimental :giveup: I don't want to write an essay right now. My favorite Shakira album is Sale El Sol tho :giggle: BOPS and BALLADS :firega:

The Bling

Archived