Anveeroy

Erotica vs That's The Way Love Goes  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Erotica vs That's The Way Love Goes

• Erotica
    • That's The Way Love Goes

Featured Posts

Anveeroy

The battle is between two iconic sensual songs: Madonna's Erotica vs Janet Jackson's 'That's The Way Love Goes' 

vs 

Stream Kylie-Janet Discographies!

geopang

I CAN'T CHOOSE. Two of the best and most iconic songs of the 90s.

If I have to choose, I'll pick Erotica. It really was revolutionary for that time period, in my opinion.

rumours

I’m not a huge fan of either. 

However, I’d say Erotica has had more impact. Therefore, I’ll vote for it. 

FfFfFfFF

I didn't heard the other song but I'm 90% sure Erotica bassline and random Indian singing tops it all. :trollga:

That J

That's The Way Love Goes is a fantastic classic song but I had to go with Erotica. 

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw

GagasPussy

Thats the way that love goes for me. The song is beautiful and more intimate. Erotica is an iconic pop song. Madonna pushed the boundaries of sexuality but the song is lustful.  Erotica is more like a one night stand type of song and That the way love goes is about real love in a long lasting relationship so I am more in tune with that song.

IAmNotHere1997

B**ch right now I was listening to janet. for the first time. I'm still shaking. But I'll still go with Erotic...a.

Phoebe Buffay

I love both but I had to go with TTWLG because of the "like a moth to a flame burned by the fire". :diane:

ReidOne
1 hour ago, Rumours1977 said:

I’d say Erotica has had more impact. 

comment_IvKgFbVPVXf9TVTYL8eBMUFjqcvcuosL

Erotica peaked high on the singles charts due to sales (from fans), but it was quickly ignored by radio... And to this day, you never ever hear the song being played in public. 

Conversely, "That's the Way Love Goes" was a massive hit across sales and radio. It spent TEN weeks at #1 on the Hot 100 Airplay chart! That makes it one of the longest running #1 hits in the history of that chart. (source)

Meanwhile "Erotica" had completely dropped off the Hot 100 Airplay chart after 10 weeks. Its chart run: 

2-2-5-6-9-20-30-40-56-69-off (10 weeks) (source)

Madonna's 'Erotica' era is widely regarded as one of the most disastrous career moves ever made by a pop star. Meanwhile, Janet was able to also sell sex, at the exact same time, and it propelled her to set the record for the biggest recording contract of all time, $80M (source). 

Please don't take this as a personal attack, but it is an objective fact that "That's the Way Love Goes" is the single with the larger impact. 

JANET_JACKSON_ROLLING+STONE-540847.jpg

rumours
5 minutes ago, ReidOne said:

comment_IvKgFbVPVXf9TVTYL8eBMUFjqcvcuosL

Erotica peaked high on the singles charts due to sales (from fans), but it was quickly ignored by radio... And to this day, you never ever hear the song being played in public. 

Conversely, "That's the Way Love Goes" was a massive hit across sales and radio. It spent TEN weeks at #1 on the Hot 100 Airplay chart! That makes it one of the longest running #1 hits in the history of that chart. (source)

Meanwhile "Erotica" had completely dropped off the Hot 100 Airplay chart after 10 weeks. Its chart run: 

2-2-5-6-9-20-30-40-56-69-off (10 weeks) (source)

Madonna's 'Erotica' era is widely regarded as one of the most disastrous career moves ever made by a pop star. Meanwhile, Janet was able to also sell sex, at the exact same time, and it propelled her to set the record for the biggest recording contract of all time, $80M (source). 

Please don't take this as a personal attack, but it is an objective fact that "That's the Way Love Goes" is the single with the larger impact. 

JANET_JACKSON_ROLLING+STONE-540847.jpg

I can see where you are coming from, and I won't take that as a personal attack lol.

I suppose my rebuttal would be that chart impact during the time doesn't necessarily equate to lasting impact. For example, while One Sweet Day may be one of Mariah's most successful singles chart wise, there are others which charted "worse" that are more remembered by the general populace.

Moreover, much of the backlash from radio stemmed from Madonna "selling sex" in a far more provocative way than Janet. Things like the sex book make the era more than just the mediocre chart run of the album and singles. 

But yes, strictly from a numerical point of view, Janet's single did better chart wise. 

Archived