đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Pop fans have low standards

Quark

Featured Posts

StrawberryBlond

I think you're right on the money. I for one can't understand why an upbeat pop song is automatically referred to as a "bop" these days. To me, a "bop" should be an upbeat song that has quality. Back in the 90's and especially early 00's, we had so much good quality pop music. Stuff you could dance to, big choruses, dance moves, cool music videos, legendary hits that are still recalled today. But now it's just middle of the road tunes, a short chorus (or a chorus consisting of one word and a beat drop), no dance moves, boring music videos and "hits" that are forgotten about by next year, along with the artist. I was just flicking through some of Britney's old videos today and wow, I'm reminded of what a force pop was back then. Giving 100% was standard with music videos at the time. You just don't see pop videos like Stronger, Lucky, Toxic, etc. anymore. And you rarely get videos that are as controversial as Everytime. Now, the only way you can be controversial is doing something overtly sexual. Then I looked at some old Madonna videos and saw the same big hitters - Like A Prayer, Hung Up, Material Girl, Justify My Love, etc. Not to mention, the outrageously controversial original edit of American Life. But now, as music quality has declined, the videos have declined with them. Pop music is so much slower, less danceable, miserable sounding, like it's sickly. Where's the passion in voices anymore too? I'm not the biggest Mariah fan by any stretch but she put ultimate emotion into her songs. But so many popstars now just sound downbeat and depressed when they sing. There's just no damn effort anymore.

But despite all this, I still see people here go crazy for new songs from the likes of Dua Lipa, Selena Gomez, Fifth Harmony, Charlie Puth, Camila Cabello, Justin Beiber, etc. Artists who are average at best, minus one good song or two. Not to mention, fawning over older acts who are way past their musical prime. I brought up Britney, Madonna and Mariah earlier - yeah, I could get why people liked their old stuff but they can't achieve better than average now. Why do we try to make them out to be something they're not? I still see praise for Rebel Heart after all this time and it's like, why? Ok, it's the best album she's made in years, but hardly on the same level as stuff from her 80's and 90's heyday. Is modern music so bad now that average stuff now sounds incredible? Because I don't feel my ears have changed in the 28 years I've been on this planet and I accept nothing but the best.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ModernEcstasy
On 13/01/2018 at 7:09 AM, Henri Bardot said:

True.

Reveal hidden contents

Just see half of this fanbase. They only want "bops". Not quality.

But quality songs can still be bops, can’t they? Look at the majority of Gaga’s Songs. The writing and production is great and yet, she manages to serve bops. 

Daredevil

you’re wrong. 

Pop music videos are a lot more creative than most of the other videos of other genres. Especially female artists set the bar there where it is. 

The genres you mentioned are filled with misogyny and a lot of their fans are snobs who only listen “to real music”. 

Don’t get me wrong, i listen to a lot of genres and love hip hop and rock, but they didn’t invent standards. 

if you want to listen to something a little more sophisticated, then singles are not the best choice. but you can go check out the rest of their album. 

Arcanum

Pop>popular.

In 2018 popular means" I'ma shake my booty tutti frutti til u bang ma cutie."

Youngsters dont pay attention to mechanics of a song. Just whatever makes them trendy.

I Wantth your Love...I Wantth your Love.

freebit

While I love that pop is fun, and hate snobbery in any form, I feel that pop fans can often learn towards a kind of anti-intellectualism, and have a limited view of music (they can be almost as bad as rockists in that way). A recent example is some fans not even wanting to give Kylie's new music a chance because they heard she wrote some of it in Nashville, and that some of it might have a slight country tinge. Then they go on to demand a retread of Aphrodite. :smh:

Also, because of just how much sexist, old school music journalism looked down on pop music, there became a large pushback from pop fans that now finds them defending mediocrity. Like for example, I feel that artists like Bieber, Camilla, Carly, and even Hailee Steinfeld to an extent, now have such high critical acclaim that seems at odds with their actual artistry IMO. Also, it's why The Cure seemed to get better reviews than the whole Joanne album, with music critics outright saying Gaga was finally on the right path. It's like, if they enjoy it, then that's all that matters, and there should be no in-depth look into it (much like people who love Superhero movies). They seem to look at it in only a visceral way - which is fine, but it only becomes a problem when people discourage pop artists like Kylie from experimenting, and demand she stick to formula. That's when it begins heading toward an anti-intellectual, anti-artist, not so fun direction. 

StrawberryBlond
On 1/17/2018 at 1:55 AM, freebit said:

While I love that pop is fun, and hate snobbery in any form, I feel that pop fans can often learn towards a kind of anti-intellectualism, and have a limited view of music (they can be almost as bad as rockists in that way). A recent example is some fans not even wanting to give Kylie's new music a chance because they heard she wrote some of it in Nashville, and that some of it might have a slight country tinge. Then they go on to demand a retread of Aphrodite. :smh:

Also, because of just how much sexist, old school music journalism looked down on pop music, there became a large pushback from pop fans that now finds them defending mediocrity. Like for example, I feel that artists like Bieber, Camilla, Carly, and even Hailee Steinfeld to an extent, now have such high critical acclaim that seems at odds with their actual artistry IMO. Also, it's why The Cure seemed to get better reviews than the whole Joanne album, with music critics outright saying Gaga was finally on the right path. It's like, if they enjoy it, then that's all that matters, and there should be no in-depth look into it (much like people who love Superhero movies). They seem to look at it in only a visceral way - which is fine, but it only becomes a problem when people discourage pop artists like Kylie from experimenting, and demand she stick to formula. That's when it begins heading toward an anti-intellectual, anti-artist, not so fun direction. 

You're right, it's the exact opposite of rock fans, but just as annoying. And I'd rather people had too much intellectualism than not enough.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks their critical acclaim is overdone for what they're actually producing. The standards have majorly dropped in the critic community or they're getting paid to write good reviews. Another thing is that women are also expected to experiment to be considered credible but men don't have to. Ariana got slammed for releasing Focus, which many claimed to be a Problem rip-off. They were all: "Oh no, girl, you can't push out a poor imitation of your biggest hit and expect us to buy it, give us something different and better." And she certainly delivered by giving us Dangerous Woman instead. But notice how no male popstar is held to the same standard? They're just fawned over whatever they put out, even if it's the same album over and over. Pretty much every male artist across genres is like this and it's so annoying. But when a woman makes retreads, she's a bimbo with no talent? Ugh, sexism.

LordEnigma
On 1/15/2018 at 3:26 PM, StrawberryBlond said:

I think you're right on the money. I for one can't understand why an upbeat pop song is automatically referred to as a "bop" these days. To me, a "bop" should be an upbeat song that has quality. Back in the 90's and especially early 00's, we had so much good quality pop music. Stuff you could dance to, big choruses, dance moves, cool music videos, legendary hits that are still recalled today. But now it's just middle of the road tunes, a short chorus (or a chorus consisting of one word and a beat drop), no dance moves, boring music videos and "hits" that are forgotten about by next year, along with the artist. I was just flicking through some of Britney's old videos today and wow, I'm reminded of what a force pop was back then. Giving 100% was standard with music videos at the time. You just don't see pop videos like Stronger, Lucky, Toxic, etc. anymore. And you rarely get videos that are as controversial as Everytime. Now, the only way you can be controversial is doing something overtly sexual. Then I looked at some old Madonna videos and saw the same big hitters - Like A Prayer, Hung Up, Material Girl, Justify My Love, etc. Not to mention, the outrageously controversial original edit of American Life. But now, as music quality has declined, the videos have declined with them. Pop music is so much slower, less danceable, miserable sounding, like it's sickly. Where's the passion in voices anymore too? I'm not the biggest Mariah fan by any stretch but she put ultimate emotion into her songs. But so many popstars now just sound downbeat and depressed when they sing. There's just no damn effort anymore.

But despite all this, I still see people here go crazy for new songs from the likes of Dua Lipa, Selena Gomez, Fifth Harmony, Charlie Puth, Camila Cabello, Justin Beiber, etc. Artists who are average at best, minus one good song or two. Not to mention, fawning over older acts who are way past their musical prime. I brought up Britney, Madonna and Mariah earlier - yeah, I could get why people liked their old stuff but they can't achieve better than average now. Why do we try to make them out to be something they're not? I still see praise for Rebel Heart after all this time and it's like, why? Ok, it's the best album she's made in years, but hardly on the same level as stuff from her 80's and 90's heyday. Is modern music so bad now that average stuff now sounds incredible? Because I don't feel my ears have changed in the 28 years I've been on this planet and I accept nothing but the best.

Music changes and yes, there was a huge amount of **** music back in “the good old days.”

I remember being on the internet throughout the 00’s, and I heard your exact same type of comment from people in comment sections about how terrible the music had gotten.

Now we have threads for charts 10 years ago and people say “god, I wish we had music like that now.” 

It’s a studied phenomena and yeah, it’s how our brains remember the past. Maybe you won’t like this music 10 years down the road but I can guarantee that in a decade, the great hits of this decade will be remembered and most people will wish music was how it was back in the 2010’s 🤷🏻‍♂️

If you like something, like it and appreciate it now. Because we can’t keep wishing for the past.

LordEnigma
On 1/13/2018 at 1:20 AM, Chrastapher said:

That’s true I can’t stand people who won’t listen to a song because it not upbeat or a “bop” and that leads to pop stars to make trash music 

Sorry to say, I don’t really care for slow music :stalkga:

I appreciate ballads and all of that, but don’t be upset because I don’t want to cry or be enlightened every time I get in my car or workout.

Its the same as people who like comedies (upbeat and fun, can be amazing quality or not) vs drama (slower paced and serious, can be amazing quality or not). 🤷🏻‍♂️

8 hours ago, Alexander Levi said:

Sorry to say, I don’t really care for slow music :stalkga:

I appreciate ballads and all of that, but don’t be upset because I don’t want to cry or be enlightened every time I get in my car or workout.

Its the same as people who like comedies (upbeat and fun, can be amazing quality or not) vs drama (slower paced and serious, can be amazing quality or not). 🤷🏻‍♂️

This was never aimed at you so :awkney:

i never said liking upbeat music was bad, I listen to it too. My original post said that I don’t like people who disregard a song and call it bad or trash because it isn’t a “bop”.

Of course there exist bad music in any type of musical style, I never said there wasn’t. Like you said you don’t want to be sad or enlightened. I don’t want to cringe or be mind numb whenever a basic as hell pop song comes on that everyone hyped up. 

StrawberryBlond
11 hours ago, Alexander Levi said:

Music changes and yes, there was a huge amount of **** music back in “the good old days.”

I remember being on the internet throughout the 00’s, and I heard your exact same type of comment from people in comment sections about how terrible the music had gotten.

Now we have threads for charts 10 years ago and people say “god, I wish we had music like that now.” 

It’s a studied phenomena and yeah, it’s how our brains remember the past. Maybe you won’t like this music 10 years down the road but I can guarantee that in a decade, the great hits of this decade will be remembered and most people will wish music was how it was back in the 2010’s 🤷🏻‍♂️

If you like something, like it and appreciate it now. Because we can’t keep wishing for the past.

I'm not denying that there was a lot of bad music back in the day. I actually replied to a thread not long ago where I posted some of the worst Billboard #1's from the 50's and onwards to prove that music wasn't all amazing back then.

But you're right, we always have a nostalgia for the past music in many ways. But I really doubt the current music will still inflame those of us of a certain age years from now. More than anything, we attach ourselves to the music from our generation, we will always have an affinity for it. As I'm 28 now, I'm becoming more and more detached from current music and think that the older artists are doing a better job, that the young ones have less to say. I'm actually going to put up my best and worst music of the year list tomorrow on here, so maybe you'd care to check it out to gain a better idea of what I'm talking about?

freebit
On 1/18/2018 at 6:48 PM, StrawberryBlond said:

You're right, it's the exact opposite of rock fans, but just as annoying. And I'd rather people had too much intellectualism than not enough.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks their critical acclaim is overdone for what they're actually producing. The standards have majorly dropped in the critic community or they're getting paid to write good reviews. Another thing is that women are also expected to experiment to be considered credible but men don't have to. Ariana got slammed for releasing Focus, which many claimed to be a Problem rip-off. They were all: "Oh no, girl, you can't push out a poor imitation of your biggest hit and expect us to buy it, give us something different and better." And she certainly delivered by giving us Dangerous Woman instead. But notice how no male popstar is held to the same standard? They're just fawned over whatever they put out, even if it's the same album over and over. Pretty much every male artist across genres is like this and it's so annoying. But when a woman makes retreads, she's a bimbo with no talent? Ugh, sexism.

True, and especially true for Gaga - I feel like critics and some pop fans expect her to reinvent the wheel, while people like Bruno can just release Uptown Funk: The Album (and it even winds up in Album of the Year), Drake can release his yearly recorded mumblings, & Bieber can do the absolute least on faceless ambient electronic song #2341....and everyone is here for it. :madge:

Archived