opinion

Pop fans have low standards

Quark

Featured Posts

FilthyPOP414
2 hours ago, Henri Bardot said:

True.

Hide contents

Just see half of this fanbase. They only want "bops". Not quality.

Quality = Bops

//thread 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RonnieGagz

Why can't we have quality bops? :gaysia:

♡Gaga♡TØP♡Nightwish♡Lana♡Lorde♡Grimes♡

5 hours ago, Poissonche said:

The thing is... that's the point of pop music: to be "boppy". To be easy, accessible, simple, catchy. Gaga goes to the next level; however, she was mostly influenced by rock artists, like Bowie and Queen, which may explain what pushed her to go beyond the basic rules of pop music. Pop music is made to be the soundtrack of most people's life. If you're satisfied with it, it's OK. The people who look down at pop music are usually the ones who are more interested in music, and discover other stuff, which can be higher quality. The thing with pop music is that, even though you know it's not the most developped genra, you'll still like it. For example, I'm pretty sure those heavy metal fans who constantly say everything else is shitty secretly sing along to Britney's greatest hits :lolga:

But Queen and Bowie, and all their peers were the Pop of those years, they were the simple ones compared to Blues and Jazz, which in turn, were the Pop of those years, and history goes on with that trend, the less contrived and the easier to digest will sell more as time passes.

What Gaga/Sia/Bey etc, are doing, is exhausting what is left to do in tge Pop of today, thats why they sound more "Sophisticated".

Music went from a high quality lobster, to a McDonalds burger, and it will keep going down as time passes and it becomes a suplement pill that covers your basic brain needs in a second (like Despacito).

moonboywow

We shouldn’t make excuses for pop music. It is short for popular. Popular is not really a genre. We can change what’s on the radio. We really can. 

Glamourpuss
2 hours ago, Cry Baby said:

It's true. Average/basic people love either pop, trap, or metal.

Metal is not basic or average. What metal bands have you been listening to? :awkney:

11 hours ago, Poissonche said:

The thing is... that's the point of pop music: to be "boppy". To be easy, accessible, simple, catchy. Gaga goes to the next level; however, she was mostly influenced by rock artists, like Bowie and Queen, which may explain what pushed her to go beyond the basic rules of pop music. Pop music is made to be the soundtrack of most people's life. If you're satisfied with it, it's OK. The people who look down at pop music are usually the ones who are more interested in music, and discover other stuff, which can be higher quality. The thing with pop music is that, even though you know it's not the most developped genra, you'll still like it. For example, I'm pretty sure those heavy metal fans who constantly say everything else is shitty secretly sing along to Britney's greatest hits :lolga:

All am saying is that just because something is simple and fun, it doesn't mean it also has to be watered down and generic. There are many pop songs are considered some of the best songs ever.

sipthistea

Pop is, basically, a generic and commercial genre. That's the essence of it. But it doesn't mean it can't be interesting and crafted towards art (There are plenty of interesting pop albums in existence). I don't blame people for liking songs which are pop at its best (catchy, simple, big hooks), plus I like some of those songs like for example some Reputation tracks. But for my part I prefer interesting pop songs.

giskardsb

I don’t think it has to be that way but labels and pop radio don’t give their listeners any credit so they bombard them with the lowest common denominator.  Contrast this with times when songwriters were more respected and bands like Fleetwood Mac ruled top 40 charts.   Electronic production gave rise to a small group of producers controlling the industry with common sounds and turning  the vocal artists themselves into simple mouthpieces.   In a way it’s a return to the 50’s when teen heartthrobs were controlled by labels and producers. 

Thomas P
16 hours ago, Quark said:

I did not say that other genres don't have music. All genres have good and bad songs like you said. However, I see that pop fans are usually much more accepting of what many consider bad songs. This also extends to performances. 

That’s not even true. Hip hop has been producing horrible hit music, and most of the quality is shoved to the bottom, and same goes for rock through the years, Country, etc. 

Its not just pop fans 

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

16 hours ago, Quark said:

o<(0_0)>o

I feel like for the most part, pop fans have low standards. The reason I say this is because I see that fans of other genres, like Hip Hop or Rock focus on the lyrics, the creativity, and in general just how interesting the music is. On the other hand, I see that pop fans are usually happy with generic music as long as the songs are "bops". Also, if pop fans see their favorite pop stars release generic or bad music, they provide tons of excuses like "It ok because it was just her debut album" or "at least the songs are catchy". Another example of what I am trying to say is that pop fans easily define music as experimental as long as the pop start they are listening to uses a sound that they hadn't used before (even if the music isn't actually experimental). I guess that this is why many people look down on pop music and why Gaga has been one of the few pop stars to actually be respected by many. 

100% agree. I just stated something similar to this in the charts thread. 

Pop music has drastically declined in quality over the last five years. What everyone’s freaking out about now would have been glossed over back then. 

The music scene needs to step up its game because it’s all extremely boring now. Being easily digestible or a “bop” is not an excuse. 

How can you compare quality songs like “Bad Romance”, “Where Have You Been?”, “E.T.”, “Somebody That I Used To Know”, etc to songs like “End Game” and “New Rules”. 

Really? :smh:

Archived