💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Bowie's pianist speaks out on Gaga

Slayer

Featured Posts

MaybeKermit

Don't really know if it has been posted already or not, but I just read this interview with Mike Garson (Bowie's pianist and collaborator) and it was quite interesting...

his thoughts on Gaga's tribute:

As for Lady Gaga’s divisive Bowie tribute at the 2016 GRAMMYs (which came under fire from his son Duncan Jones and former Spider From Mars drummer Woody Woodmansey), Garson admitted: “I think it was in the wrong direction. Had I been on that show, I would have suggested her doing ‘Lady Grinning Soul’ with me on the piano alone, just doing her thing.

“She has a great voice and is a great entertainer, she just went overboard and lost the magic. Thank god the Bowie Alumni Band and Lorde picked that up and salvaged that. Artists make mistakes, but to dismiss her as an artist because of that wouldn’t be fair because she’s a great artist. I’m hoping she’ll join us on a show somewhere and sing one or two songs. Nile Rodgers too.
“I must have a list of 100 alumni who I’d love to perform with us and over the next five years I’d like to work through them.”

http://www.nme.com/news/music/david-bowie-mike-garson-interview-lorde-lady-gaga-tour-unreleased-material-2216871

I think he's right tho.. and he doesn't slam her or anything.... The performance really felt more of a drag queen doing a random performance (imo), rather than a real professional tribute by an A-star artist...

:madge:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I appreciate that criticism. He seems like a nice dude and even if you disagree, you can’t say he didn’t have a nice candor in how he spoke his mind. That’s the mark of a good man.

*for the record, I would have also suggested that song because it would have been a little cheeky and suits her*

Neight Shayde

Thank you for being nice, and yes I completely agree with the criticism. 

"I’m hoping she’ll join us on a show somewhere and sing one or two songs. Nile Rodgers too."

UM YES PLEASE

HausOfNicole

I would have to agree with him. I think she got lost in her ambition with the performance as a whole. It was entertaining, but not exactly a tribute that represented Bowie entirely.

Eighteen

i kind of get where gaga was coming from doing a lot of bowies hits but personally i would have liked to listen to 1 or 2, or have the grammy's (was it the grammy's?) give her more time for it because every song was sooo short

Lady Grinning Soul with him on piano would've been amazing.

anybody knows you can conjure anything by the dark of the moon

666 others
14 hours ago, Funkymonkey said:

Don't really know if it has been posted already or not, but I just read this interview with Mike Garson (Bowie's pianist and collaborator) and it was quite interesting...

his thoughts on Gaga's tribute:

As for Lady Gaga’s divisive Bowie tribute at the 2016 GRAMMYs (which came under fire from his son Duncan Jones and former Spider From Mars drummer Woody Woodmansey), Garson admitted: “I think it was in the wrong direction. Had I been on that show, I would have suggested her doing ‘Lady Grinning Soul’ with me on the piano alone, just doing her thing.

“She has a great voice and is a great entertainer, she just went overboard and lost the magic. Thank god the Bowie Alumni Band and Lorde picked that up and salvaged that. Artists make mistakes, but to dismiss her as an artist because of that wouldn’t be fair because she’s a great artist. I’m hoping she’ll join us on a show somewhere and sing one or two songs. Nile Rodgers too.
“I must have a list of 100 alumni who I’d love to perform with us and over the next five years I’d like to work through them.”

http://www.nme.com/news/music/david-bowie-mike-garson-interview-lorde-lady-gaga-tour-unreleased-material-2216871

I think he's right tho.. and he doesn't slam her or anything.... The performance really felt more of a drag queen doing a random performance (imo), rather than a real professional tribute by an A-star artist...

:madge:

This is civil, meaningful, constructive criticism which is rarely seen nowadays. Respect to Mr. Garson though I do not fully agree with his points.

:holyshit:

He noticed me on Twitter once. My daddy. :diane:

Yeah, he's right. That's exactly what she should have done, but because they were basically fitting a tribute into a performance that was not meant to be about a legend's passing, so obviously it was gonna come across as weird.

As someone who loves Bowie as much as (if not more than) Gaga, I can totally see the problem with it. It was like the Bowie equivalent of a Gaga tribute act that only performs Million Reasons and Just Dance. :selena:

bannedT for life and it's SAD

blackpink

I agree to be honest. Gaga’s heart was in the right place but honestly it was quite rushed.

If they just stuck with perfecting one song it would’ve been a lot better rather than a 30 second song medley. The outfits and intel effects just made her look like an impersonator 

Sam Dey

Honestly, that performance was too much for it to be a tribute. Even monsters found it to come across rather disrespectful

DiscoHeaven23

I think the Bowie performance was one of the biggest let downs and "please let us forget this, as stans" moments  of her career. 

Archived